Bring it Yassi

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
seems like it hit tully and innsfail and missed cairns

mainly passed at tully which is surrounded by national park - there are heaps of scrubbies at tully so i hope there ok

Any Townsville updates? I understand the power was cut, but havent heard any more..

Tully and Mission Beach ....from what I have watched and heard on sunrise they copt a battering ...thankfully no loss of lives (well so far) but those areas are known as cassowary havens and they are already on the endangered list :(

The biggest gusts of air seem to be coming from the media! The Today Show is trying to find every fallen tree they can get their cameras focused on! I know roofs have come off houses and there are a lot of debris about, but nowhere near the catastrophic atomic bomb blast they had us believe was going to happen. Anyone got any photos from up there?? Good to hear no reports of casualties!

friend in townsville rang me this morning. few branches in the backyard, house is fine just no power. she may have been lucky but also mentioned friends in surrounding suburbs were much the same, some still have power.

she also mentioned optus phones aren't working, but telstra is for anyone trying to get in contact with people up there.

friend in townsville rang me this morning. few branches in the backyard, house is fine just no power. she may have been lucky but also mentioned friends in surrounding suburbs were much the same, some still have power.

she also mentioned optus phones aren't working, but telstra is for anyone trying to get in contact with people up there.

Thanks for the news :)

Yeah, lost all the street trees up our street, power is out in certain areas, Ross creek has cut of palmer st so alot of that area may be out. Neighbours lost an awning, one lost a roller door, but mainly just trees and nothing major. I imagine your place will be fine steve, unless there was any big tree's beside it you may have a bit of damage.

Some vision of Julia Gillard caught under a house:

wicked_witch.jpg

Yeah, lost all the street trees up our street, power is out in certain areas, Ross creek has cut of palmer st so alot of that area may be out. Neighbours lost an awning, one lost a roller door, but mainly just trees and nothing major. I imagine your place will be fine steve, unless there was any big tree's beside it you may have a bit of damage.

Couple of large trees in the neighbours yards, I only have small palms (which used to have a bunch of finch nests in them....), so hopefully all's good. Cheers!

I'm just south of Innisfail. We got a bit of damage but nothing too bad. There is nowhere near as much destruction here as there was after cyclone Larry. I just hope further south (Tully, Mission Beach, Cardwell) can say the same thing.

Power still off and water apparently going off as well. Trees down everywhere but it seems most of the damage to property is to fences as far as I can tell. Found what's left of some idiots trampoline wrapped around a power pole. Thankfully all the damage at my place is easily fixed.

Everything fine here l.. i live around the corner from scorps in cairns! we never lost any power. We lost out gate and fence but nothing broken!!! My family place has been flooded due to the surge tho :( and i got friends from ingham who lost there roofs and house! at least noone was hurt

Hi Guys & Gals,
I hope that you all got through yasi OK.
It is horific to see the destructrion it caused in the hardest hit areas. People of Qld are somewhat resilliant & can hopefully bounce back.
With saying that it is hard when you have lost everything & a massive clean up ahead. Jobs & income affected. Hopefully most had insurance & if not hopefully the taxes we have all paid can help rebiuld communities & help people get thier lives & income back on track.
Higher banana prices is nothing, & Hopefully sugarcane will recover, but when you have to rebuild from scratch & source alternative income, this can really hurt. As after some of other Qld floods, there may be some businesses that cannot afford or may not have the willpower to restart.
So my thoughts go out to ALL & wish you all the best toward the future & recovery.

One note of hope is that there might be a new business adventure in the waiting, Selling Yasi firewood to the rest of Australia.

Cheers & all the best.
Ian.

Hey guys, didnt really bother with taking pics or videos as yous might have all heard, cairns didnt get hit hard and where I am we didnt even get touched (worst that happened in my area was some tree pruning)

Ben

Hi All,

We are still without power and phone here and we weren't in the worst hit.
Please spare a thought for the farmers up this way (I know a lot of others are doing it tough too). The banana and papaw farmers have lost everything. As well as equipment, loans, fertiliser etc they pay a lot of wages and employ a lot of people. Many of these employees have maybe a week of work left cleaning up the damage and then they don't know where to turn. Sugar cane farmers up this way had a bad trot during the last harvest as it was so wet. These farmers only get an income from their farm once a year. Last harvest (because of the wet) some of their cane had to stay in the paddock and now they have even more damage. Next time you have a tea or coffee put two sugars in your cup and two into the saucer and proudly say, "That's for the farmers!"

i live 30km south of cadwell and we still havnt got power. we've got someones garden shed in our pool, with all the stuff including a ride on lawnmower in it, i dont, know whose it is. it was like someone turned on a jumbo jet and parked it on top of the house, the noise was unbelievable. i have had to fill a generator up every 3 hours for the last 10 days, and its starting to catch up to me. also does anyone know someone who has rats in the ingham district, i lost alot that were in the freezer and desperatly need more. the only good thing is my clutch of scrubys hatched hatched in the middle of the cyclone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back