Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, can you give me some tips for road herping on the Sunshine coast? What roads should we look on? Day or night?
Ive driven on loads of roads on the sunshine coast day and night and have only ever seen a few toads and a Eastern Water Dragon (it ran across the road and got hit by a car :( )

It depends on what your looking for, you will find that most people will not give out there herping spots, I am very hesitent when I tell people my spots,

Need to be carefull with how much poaching happens

Go anywhere and as often as you can. It wont take long to work out what is where and keep a diary.

It depends on what your looking for, you will find that most people will not give out there herping spots, I am very hesitent when I tell people my spots,

Need to be carefull with how much poaching happens

Ah thats why people dont like saying it. Okay then sorry :)
Ive gotta say, my neighbourhood is quite a good herping spot, we've had Green Tree Frogs, a Rocket Frog, a Yellow Faced Whipsnake, a Small Eyed Snake, Green Tree snake, some other unidentified snake, a Pink Tongued skink and a Lace Monitor.

buy a humidty/temp probe and take that with you and record that info aswell, i will be doing that along with recording the time of the moon phase, time of night, date, and recent weather that may have influenced it etc etc. Would be more then happy to share my results with you, i know your not about to go take anything from the bush :)

buy a humidty/temp probe and take that with you and record that info aswell, i will be doing that along with recording the time of the moon phase, time of night, date, and recent weather that may have influenced it etc etc. Would be more then happy to share my results with you, i know your not about to go take anything from the bush :)

Thats a good idea hornet, I have alot of different spots up hear, some spots I can drive for an hour and find 15 snakes and other spots where I might be lucky for 1 or 2,

Ben

Depending on what species you wanna see all comes down to day-night,cold-warm weather..Generally pythons are more common out at night,however you can see them during the day,on the other hand,elapids are generally a day snake..On a warm day after dark pythons are very common on the road to get the last bit of warmth from the bituman..It totally makes a difference in temperature,i seen 5snakes on a 28c night,while in the same week,didnt see any as the temperature was around 16c..

Ive heard noosa national park is good, however I havnt had any luck there.
Id like to see bluetongues and pythons mainly. Are Bluetongues day time or night?

Last edited:
Still no luck :| Not even a Water Skink or ANYTHING except snake-eyed skinks. And the "common" blue tongue and carpet pythons are eluding me grrr. I'll try Noosa National Park tomorrow if my mum can be bothered to get up at 5am which i doubt. Last time we did a 2 hr uphill hike and just saw snake-eyed skinks. Which I could've just looked in my back garden for. I saw a Koala, so it wasn't a total waste. I have seen a big lace monitor in Noosa National Park before. But thats all.
I'm going crazy... I need to see some herps :lol:
I dont care if I only see a Green Tree Frog. Even frogs are exciting for me as I very rarely see them. The only cool herp that I see often on the sunshine coast is a EWD. But they dont excite me anymore as there are hundreds of them.

Well I went out to Noosa National Park today. It went a lot better than usual as I actually saw something :lol: I saw a smallish skink, not sure on the species, think it may be a EWS. Will post pics later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back