take care be aware

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dossy

Reaction score
just the other side of a galaxy not to far from th
hey guys

today my cuz was knocked off his motor bike and was thrown to the ground, after 5.5 hours in sutherland hospitle he got let out with minor injuries ( cuts scrapes bruses sore neck knees and right leg)

yestaday a mate of mine was also thrown off his bike and when a truck did not give way, jason was sent to hospitle and will probly not come out any time in the very near future. he has "mild" injuries ( broken arm,broken leg, 3 broken fingers, broken ankle, neck injuries , alot of brusing and a chunk of skin taken off his left leg.

2 months ago a guy i knew ( a mate of a mate that iv said hi to a few times) was thrown from his bike and was in hospitle for 1 month with back injuries.

these bike accidents are happening way to often for my liking.
please relise that a motor bike rider only has an inch or protection were as a care has several inches.

main point of this thread is just to ask you all please be aware of bike riders ( push or motor) and double cheak blind spots for them

p.s
all 3 riders are making good recovorys :) (sorry for any spellingscrew ups )

i view motor cycles in a similar way to chainsaws... if they were invented today, they would never be made legal for safety concerns

chainsaw and motorcycle should never be used in the same sentence, it provokes many insane ideas...... insanely fun.

A lot of bike riders I've encountered on the roads are careless & stupid...

Weaving in & out of lanes, cutting people off & speeding

it's hardly surprising there are so many accidents.

Ok, let me first say that i'm glad to hear these guys are all making a good recovery, and that i'm not 'anti motorbike'.... BUT
its not always the 'other vehicle' that is in the wrong in these instances.

You say that 1 was knocked off his bike, 1 was thrown from his bike and one was hit by a truck....

You don't provide enough detail on the first two for me to comment on, but as for the one that was hit by the truck that failed to give way.... theres a very good chance the truck didn't see him (again i dont know the full detail)
I do a lot of travelling on the freeway and i've seen cars and bike riders do some absolutely STUPID things alongside, and in front, of trucks travelling at 100kph ! Just because the trucks are higher than the average vehicle it doesn't mean they dont have blind spots, and they certainly cant stop on a dime.

"please relise that a motor bike rider only has an inch or protection were as a care has several inches."
Bike riders should remember they are only wearing an inch of protection and shouldn't play russian roulette with a 40 tonne bullet that is directed at their head ! !

Last edited:
The safest motorbike rider in the world is no match for a careless car driver. Probably the only reason I never pursued two wheels. I go weak at the knees at the sight of a Ducati :D

Unfortunately I had a family friend die a few weeks ago because of his stupidity. He was doing 120km in a 60km zone and there were cars and bikes around. A truck came out of a driveway, but saw him too late. Kevin slammed on his brakes so hard that him and his bike went up in the air, Kevin's bike smashed into a pole about 50 meters away, and Kevin went head first into the truck. Fortunately for him he died on impact, but the truck driver can't work and was hospitalised for shock. A 20 year old woman Kevin worked with witnessed the accident, it was only around the corner from where they worked. She's devastated, and his widow (married for 23 years) is very angry, she always told him not to speed and be stupid, but he didn't listen.My mother was a brides maid at their wedding, and we ended up almost living at Kevin's house with his widow and her son (22 years old) and Kevin's stepson (32 years old.)

My family and I visited the accident scene the day after the accident, and ended up cleaning up... there were bit of the bike and Kevin's helmet all over the place, and we didn't want his widow to come down there and see that. Apparently it's not uncommon for an accident scene not to be thoroughly cleaned :(

A family friend of ours was killed on his motorbike. Was up in Cairns and he was driving to work, he wasn't speeding or doing anything wrong, all that happened was, his wheels hit some gravel as he was going around a corner and the bike slid out from under him. Despite wearing a helmet, the impact on the ground instantly killed him, was good though, as him and the bike went under an oncoming bus.

It just goes to show, even if you are driving responsibly, things just happen.

I personally could never understand how sitting on the outside of a vehicle is safer than being on the inside of one...

Every accident involving a motor cyclist is the cyslist's fault in my opinion. Not because they didn't give way, or becasue they were weaving or riding too fast but simply for being on the road. Simply because they allowed themselves to get into that situation in the first place. You have to ride like you are INVISIBLE to other road users and act accordingly. The moment you presume you are safe on the road is the moment you allow yourself to become complacent and that's when accidents happen. Wear ALL your gear in ALL seasons and ALL weather conditions, ride like noone can see you and never EVER presume that you are safe. And please, remember to turn off your darn indicators once you're around a corner!

I love the blokes who ride around in a pair of Stubbies and a tank-top! Awesome safety gear! :lol:

mate this is soo true i see way to many people around Perth in shorts and t-shirts i have even seen people with thongs riding, and what bugs me the most is scooter riders i think i have only ever seen 1 scooter rider in safe gear, all the others are in business outfits and seem to be oblivious to the dangerous situation they put them self's in.

on a side note i have no problem with bike riders what i have a problem with is bad drivers be it (cars trucks or bikes) its really not that hard to have situational awareness, and even easier if you know how to set up your mirrors correctly

Every accident involving a motor cyclist is the cyslist's fault in my opinion.

i and the law disagree with this statement, if a bike is wearing all the appropriate gear, sitting in his own lane and some moron merges into him because they did not look first is most definitely NOT the motorcyclists fault its the driver who did not look no different than if they had merged into another car.

however on your point re wearing of safety gear at all times i totally agree

Last edited:
It doesn't matter who is "in the right" or "in the wrong" at the end of the day dead is dead.Bike riders have no protection,at least you are surrounded by metal in a car.
Bike riders here are called temporary Australians for a reason.

I was always keen to get a motorbike when I got my licence years ago, but then a mate had an accident on his. While STATIONARY waiting at trafic lights, a car backed out of a driveway and over him and his bike!.

He got away with no major injuries, he jumped clear pretty quickly, and the bike wasnt to badly damaged that it couldnt be repaired, but it impressed on me just how vunerable motorbikes riders are, and how easy it is for other drivers not to see them.

I never did get a bike after that, I just think the risks are to high, I really dont trust other drivers enough.

Best of luck to all your freinds with their injuries, and hope they all get back on the road again soon.

yes i left out what happend with the 1st guy because the police are still investigating it, they know who did it but they trying to figer out how they did it.

the second accident he was taken out at a roundabout( coming from the right hand side)

yes i know there are some stupid idiots on bikes, in trucks and in cars. alot of car drivers i know think that the only thing that should be allowd on the road is cars.

all 3 guys had full gear on ( boots pants gloves jacket under jacket(soft padding thingy) and helmet.)

when i was 14 i saw a rider get ran over because a car changed lanes on top of him. by the looks of it the driver also was looking for somthing in the glove box. the rider was doing just under the speed limit and stayed in the middle of the lane, he was just unlcky enough to be in the wrong place at the wrong time ( he got up and walked away to the side of the road so i assume he was ok)

to the person who said they shouldnt be on the road, were are you going to draw the line on safe? you can get horrible coars that are more of a death trap should they not be sold? you can get pinned inside a car can those cars not be sold? should the only cars that can be sold be 5 star rating?

each to his own and this thread was not made to have large arguments but to just try to raise awarness...even if it only sinks into n it is worth it :D

Thanks for bringing up the awarness Dossy!
It definately needs to be put into drivers heads that there ARE other users on the road!!!!!!
As a daily motorcylce rider, There is certain risks that you do undertake every time you hop on that bike!
But I believe it makes you more aware of the surrounding environment and what is going on...Instead of just being on 'cruise control' in your car!
I lost a good mate to a motorcycle accident last year, after that it was hard gettin back on bike, but it just went to show that no one is invincible no matter what skill level you ride at, it all depends on other other road users as well!

i and the law disagree with this statement, if a bike is wearing all the appropriate gear, sitting in his own lane and some moron merges into him because they did not look first is most definitely NOT the motorcyclists fault its the driver who did not look no different than if they had merged into another car.

however on your point re wearing of safety gear at all times i totally agree

Hiya, of course the fault can be laid at the feet of any party but my point is just a general one in that cyclists should actively work to avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations. Always be aware and always assume noone can see you. Don't sit in the blind spots of cars, don't overtake slowly, don't leave your indicators on (unknowingly) and ensure you ride with your lights on even in the day time. Don't take anything for granted, even sitting behind a car at traffics lights, another can come up behind you, not even see you, and run you right over. I always wondered why cyclists overtook me on the motorways at higher speeds until i was informed it was so that they were in the 'danger zone' (in the car's blind spot or beside it) for as little time as possible. Makes sense to me. I drive with bike gear brand stickers on my car so that cyclists know i'm bike-aware. I tend to find i have more cyclists sitting behind me on the roads than i used to now, perhaps because they know i'm actively looking for them.

Hiya, of course the fault can be laid at the feet of any party but my point is just a general one in that cyclists should actively work to avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations. Always be aware and always assume noone can see you. Don't sit in the blind spots of cars, don't overtake slowly, don't leave your indicators on (unknowingly) and ensure you ride with your lights on even in the day time. Don't take anything for granted, even sitting behind a car at traffics lights, another can come up behind you, not even see you, and run you right over. I always wondered why cyclists overtook me on the motorways at higher speeds until i was informed it was so that they were in the 'danger zone' (in the car's blind spot or beside it) for as little time as possible. Makes sense to me. I drive with bike gear brand stickers on my car so that cyclists know i'm bike-aware. I tend to find i have more cyclists sitting behind me on the roads than i used to now, perhaps because they know i'm actively looking for them.

All of those things are taught at the Stay Upright course that you have to do before you get your license. Responsible motorcyclists work very hard not to get into dangerous situations, but it just isn't always that simple. If it were, there would be many less dead motorcyclists. Around where I live, there are plenty of hideous drivers, yesterday one turned in front of my Mother's car; he saw her, but still turned in front of her anyway. She had to slam on the brakes to avoid hitting him, and when we drove past him he gave her a look as if it was her fault! Another idiot did the same thing today, and there are so many people who drive straight through a roundabout without slowing down or looking to see if anything's coming... I wish people didn't have their heads shoved so far up their you know where, that way they'd think about other people... everyone thinks 'it'll never happen to me' but sometimes when they realise it does, it's because they've killed an innocent person with their recklessness :(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back