Bring back the cane!!!!!??????? for the juvenile problem

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

[When i went to school there was the cane....it was feared and respected and though i was on the receiving end many a time I feel it did me no illFONT]

Too many soft people who keep making excuses for young scum who will inevitably grow to be major criminals.....

just feel frustrated and angry about the above and needed to vent.....what’s your thoughts????

When I went to school, i got the cane more than most too, no it didnt really do any harm, but did absolutly no good at all either.( I actually thought it didnt really even hurt tbo)

Several times I got the cane and either disagreed or didnt know the real reason why, and I suspect that was more common than many"old school" types would like to admit.

We certainly had teachers that often reached for the cane before even attempting to address a problem by any other means, it just became easier for them.

Now, Im married to a teachers assistant that specializes in teaching"the problem cases".
She's very succesfull, has a great reputation in out school district, and is sought after as a tutor etc by the parents of these children outside of school hours.

She doesnt use a cane, in fact, shes on a disability pension and could easily be hurt by many of her pupils,its never been a problem apart from a couple of accidents, all the students respect her.

On top of all this, ill ask another question, please think about this, because its very relevant.

WHY is it the school/education systems job to sort out these kids?

Please. look to the parents and community first (or at least equaly). As you quite rightly say, a lot of these kids dont even spend that much time in school, so relying on schools is a mistake to start with.

There are other departments that are supposed to deal with these problems, not schools. the police, justice departments and various child service organisations should sort out a lot of the problems you talk about BEFORE THESE KIDS EVEN GET TO SCHOOL.

Schools are not set up to deal with this, nor are they meant to. Although I do understand your frustration, it always irks me when community social problems are directed at schools, education is only part of the answer.

Why the hell is it a teachers responsibility? It's my job to teach kids the curriculum, not discipline them!

Thats what Im saying!

Last edited:
wow! lots of sadistic people! If physical punishment was appropriate for some children and teens then it is definitly appropriate for some adults.

Im respectful and well behaved most of the time but as an example, i live in an apartment building and often have people over. whilst i have friends over we might have a few drinks and play a bit of music but its not as though the music is overly loud but when there is a few of us the noise level obviously increases. i recently had a neighbour from downstairs come and bash on my door at 7.30 pm (just on dusk) she was a middle aged woman who decided that she would come and abuse me for the amount of noise that was coming from my place. she was completely immature about the whole thing making silly acusations and carrying on like a 2 year old. if i were her i would have knocked on the door with a normal force so that i didnt almost break the door down and i would have explained that the noise was travelling and i was trying to sleep etc... in those circumstances i was more than happy to be "disrespectful" to my elders and tell her to .... off. this doesnt make me a bad person but just gives and example of a situation were sometimes the "youths" arent bad people they just dont tolerate rediculous behaviour from someone who is older than them and should assumingly know better.

If by not respecting elders and having a mouth means that things have gone down hill in society I would suggest that the older generation here who are making out like this behaviour is heinus are weak people who are ageist and are probably the children that were brought up with physical dicipline. sometimes there are adults that need to be shut down and put back in their box and i think that age has nothing to do with it! if your a fool i will tell you so, if your older than me you are just as likely to cop the mouth full that a person who is younger than me would if they were behaving the same way.

obviously not all teens are angels but i dont think the focus should be solely on youths in this respect because just as many (if not more!) adults are just as bad as some of the criminals that are being mentioned. people who are ageist are as bad as those that are sexist, racist etc.

Why the hell is it a teachers responsibility? It's my job to teach kids the curriculum, not discipline them!

So how do you teach effectively when you have kids that just want to muck up? How about the other kids in the class that are missing out on valuable learning time because of these kids? If you had the authority to dicipline (along with parents doing their job), you may have a more productive learning space.

maybe a boot to the ares wile you are young is the way to go? bottom line is that its up to the parents to teach the kids from right and wrong from when they are young and maybe if you cant do that...... well then maybe you should't think about having them. iam 18 now and have just gotten out of school and sure i have played up in the younger grade but as soon as it was time to leave and the teacher come out to the car to "have a talk to mum"...... well i wasnt going to do it again thats for sure.

There has been some good points, and I suppose I have to agree it should not be the teachers responsibility to bring discipline to the trouble causing juveniles that plague our streets....I feel scociety has the obligation to deliver discipline to those that dwell amongst us and have strayed from the path of respecting your fellow man.....I sound like some crazy preacher. I think it is just a case of the good old too hard basket.

So how do you teach effectively when you have kids that just want to muck up? How about the other kids in the class that are missing out on valuable learning time because of these kids? If you had the authority to dicipline (along with parents doing their job), you may have a more productive learning space.

You can't. The same as if you are spending your entire day discipling kids, you can't teach.

I very rarely have to 'discipline' my students. My school and classroom has an environment and behaviour management policy that, except in rare circumstances, doesn't need discipline. If anyone wants to see my classroom managment plan i'm more than happy to make it public.

The police do their job, but the courts let them and the public down by slapping these criminals with light sentences letting them loose on the streets in a matter of days to continue their crime spree knowing they will only get a rap on the knuckles, but next time it may be you or i that pays the ultimate price.

I think if you discipline a child early enough you don't get the bad habits developing. I smacked my kids when they were young, now they are older I thankfully don't have to. Kids that are "allowed" to run amok when they are young are harder to control when they are older; hence having society attempt to do the parenting for them (quite frankly the horse has bolted imho!). THEN, there are some kids who no matter what parents do or say are uncontrollable (they either end up in jail or extremely rich! :lol:).

I think if a child hasn't learnt to respect a form of authority, no matter if its the cops, a teacher or any other number of authoritarian figures, then discipline is always the end result of a failure to comply. How much better would it be if the courts dished out corporal punishment???? (again like Capital punishment you don't want any mistakes with sentencing, and we know mistakes can & do happen) How can you fine half the idiots out there when they have no money to cough up?? (the solution: rob someones house, and assault him/her if they happen to stumble across you doing it because heaven forbid you have to pay another fine!!) Personally we're a soft society! People are allowed to get away with murder! No respect.

I think if you discipline a child early enough you don't get the bad habits developing. I smacked my kids when they were young, now they are older I thankfully don't have to. Kids that are "allowed" to run amok when they are young are harder to control when they are older; hence having society attempt to do the parenting for them (quite frankly the horse has bolted imho!). THEN, there are some kids who no matter what parents do or say are uncontrollable (they either end up in jail or extremely rich! :lol:).

I think if a child hasn't learnt to respect a form of authority, no matter if its the cops, a teacher or any other number of authoritarian figures, then discipline is always the end result of a failure to comply. How much better would it be if the courts dished out corporal punishment???? (again like Capital punishment you don't want any mistakes with sentencing, and we know mistakes can & do happen) How can you fine half the idiots out there when they have no money to cough up?? (the solution: rob someones house, and assault him/her if they happen to stumble across you doing it because heaven forbid you have to pay another fine!!) Personally we're a soft society! People are allowed to get away with murder! No respect.

True ,I agree

oooft if someone hit me with a stick at school i most likely wouldve skipped out on all that and loiter the streets.

When I was naughty at school I got hit with the stick....but I was too scared to skip school because of what I would cop at home if parents found out. i suppose if there is no control at home people would just not go to school. perhaps Singapore has the right idea in the end.

there is a different way and a much better way of disciplining and punishing kids, it is not physical abuse.

Thats the problem. All power is taken away. Nobody has the right to discipline people. I mean, ****, even criminals are coddled because of all this soft stuff. Whats this better way you speak of? If I did something wrong I got hit. And you know what, I thought f, I'm not doing that again. I'm not saying everybody beat your kids, but man, show some backbone. It is important that kids are disciplined, the quality of kids is declining rapidly. No joke. Just in the past five years, huge difference in attitude and behaviour. Teachers aren't allowed to discipline students. They cant break up fights between students without looking at assault charges. To me that is BS.

Something needs to change. Parents get in trouble for hitting their OWN kids. How is that right? People overseas get put to death for things more minor that our people get a slap on the wrist for.

If the cane was brought back into schools... the delinquent kids wouldn't bother even going (if they don't already).

There is always a reason kids like that are the way they are, they wouldn't do it for nothing. Physical punishment wouldn't help the cause in any way, it'd probably do more harm than good in the long run.

Disagree completely. If they behave that way why should their education be paid for while they corrupt, assault and hinder the education of others, willing to cooperate and behave? Why are we forcing them into school? If they aren't willing to follow the rules, good riddance. The sooner they are of no burden the better. Maybe then they might mature.

Nobody likes getting hit. Bit of negative reinforcement never goes astray.

I agree with the tougher sentences, you are spot on with that.

A simplistic solution for a complex problem.
Does the threat of cancer stop people smoking?
Does the obvious health problem prevent people from eating a McDonalds?
Does the near certain promise of severe injury stop people racing motorbikes?

Bar the last one, they are long term things. Not an instant punishment for a misdoing. They are also all things that harm the individual. Not so much anybody else (smoking harms others as well, so inconsiderate to smoke near people)

In the last 50yrs we have seem some of the most important people empowering changes and I expect the future has more install.

But you need balance. Empowering the individual takes power away from the whole.

The problem with today is that there are so many damn bleeding hearts, it has produced a nation of weak, self absorbed losers who won't do anything to improve their lot, expecting the free ride that our stupid government gives them. These people smoke, drink and breed and then expect someone else to bring up their lost kid.

We have an impotent legal system that puts more strain on the country and does nothing for victims of crime. I live and let live but if some juvie delinquent thinks he can put one over me, the cops won't even get a call. I don't give a rats if he's come from a broken home or not.

A+++

We have taken away the power of the people who are supposed to protect society, the police. If they so much as raise a hand they are condemned to investigations and what. Now they are afraid to do their job. If a drunk teen hits a bouncer or an officer of the law I believe they should be able to give it back and then some. Often the retaliator of violence cops as much penalty as the initiator, that is not right!

What makes you think kids that are disciplined harshly dont run off and turn to the street life because they cant handle the strict environment?
Plenty of kids end up on the street because their parents punish to the point of abuse, that is one of the reasons why society has turned against corporal punishment.
There are other ways to keep your kids inline and they are proven to be just as if not more effective

No! Talking solves nothing at the age where they need to be taught what they can and can't get away with. Disciplining needs to be done harshly! If the kid is raised right then they'd never run away because they'd understand they were only punished for their own misdeed.

Just what our armed services need, dysfunctional youths with anger issues.

With a bunch of peers who will keep them in line, yes. If they don't get in trouble for keeping them in line LOL.

Flogging wouldn't work.
I'm not saying this is bad, but when I was 9, my teacher used to grab my collar, push me against the wall, and yell at me, for calling out/talking in class... which I did a lot.
I kept doing it, it did nothing.
I did it until last year, when I got into keeping frogs.

You're twelve. You don't know what has or hasn't worked yet

While junenile crime is as mentioned out of control parents and the way kids are bought up have a lot to do with it In america they have a program in some prisons that repeat offenders are taken to the jails there and spoken to some of the long term crimms and told exactly what life there is like every person has the choice to be a good person or not

Thats another problem too. Prison isn't prison anymore. Tvs, good food, comfy beds, clean clothes, education. This isn't punishment. If somebody wants a free ride they can just commit a crime and go there. They get a good run, and costs them nothing... The tax payer on the other hand (which these people generally aren't BTW because centrelink will give money to anybody) Make prison hard again, do the crime and do the time. And make the time as unenjoyable as possible to stop them ending up there again

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back