Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This will go no where. Morelia spilota X Morelia spilota is not a real hybrid. It's almost like arguing that locality crosses are hybrids.

This will go no where. Morelia spilota X Morelia spilota is not a real hybrid. It's almost like arguing that locality crosses are hybrids.

Crossing 2 subspecies gets you an intra-specific hybrid, thats real enough for me

Maybe you need to look it up, intergrades are not subspecies overlapping, that is a common misconception but it not the truth, if 2 subspecies did overlap and reproduce that would be a hybrid. An intergrade by definition is an intermediate form, in this case its resulted as the carpet python has extended its range south, starting off as the jungle up north, as it goes south it transitioned to the coastal carpet, as that traveled south it transitioned into the diamond python, the zones where they made that transition are called the intergrade zones and are not derived from hybrids in any way.

Have a read of this, this gives a great definition of intergrades

Whao.... So if a species decides to overlap its territory with another the middle result is an intergrade... Not a hybrid...

I'm confused now

Whao.... So if a species decides to overlap its territory with another the middle result is an intergrade... Not a hybrid...

I'm confused now

No as the species moves out of one territory and into another changes in the environment result in changes in the snakes over time. if the changes are drastic enough they could be considered separate subspieces, even more drastic changes result in separate species. But a coastal doesn't go over a mountain and evolve into a diamond at a magic mark on the ground, there is a border land in the middle where traits of both show up as diamond traits become more adventagous as they go south. or something

so just say a diamond and a coastal did happen to meet and romance one another... what would that be classsified as? intergrade or hybrid?
and if it was bred in captivity what would it be then? somethign different?

and as this could possibly happen, it would mean 'wild' snakes would not always be pure!

Diamond M. spilota and carpet M. spilota are the same species. Take it from there.
Where is the pop-corn?

Diamond M. spilota and carpet M. spilota are the same species. Take it from there.
Where is the pop-corn?

Oh got it. they would be a cyborg or possibly a natural hybrigrade?

couldn't find popcorn, got M&Ms instead! come round when ever! bentley park the place to be

OK, if this website is actually reputable, I stand corrected.
Here is the meaning of Hybrid according to biology-online.org

Hybrid
Definition

noun, plural form: hybrids

(general) Any of mixed origin or composition, or the combination of two or more different things.

(biology) An offspring resulting from the cross between parents of different species or sub-species.

(molecular biology) A complex formed by joining two complementary strands of nucleic acids.
adjective

Of or pertaining to the offspring produced from crossbreeding.

OK, if this website is actually reputable, I stand corrected.
Here is the meaning of Hybrid according to biology-online.org

Hybrid
Definition

noun, plural form: hybrids

(general) Any of mixed origin or composition, or the combination of two or more different things.

(biology) An offspring resulting from the cross between parents of different species or sub-species.

(molecular biology) A complex formed by joining two complementary strands of nucleic acids.
adjective

Of or pertaining to the offspring produced from crossbreeding.

Ok but now can you also post up the term intergrade

Well intergrade is very hard to seperate then, hybrid and intergrad are pretty much the same thing worded differently as far as i can tell, but then again, i do love debating so maybe i just dont see the difference clearly

See below as I believe Waterrat is correct here.

He is a genius

this is kinda confusing,
so if someone bred a md with a darwin it would be a hybrid?
if a sa woma and a nt bhp mated the offspring would be hybrids?
port macs are intergrades because they are found in the wild in an overlapping range of 2 snakes?

Hybrids... how do they work?
Yes, but what if the diamond has just had a fight with its dad and so runs away from home up north and mr carpet is there as a friend for her, one thing always leads to another
But then what if the diamond smokes during pregnancy? She's a troubled woman, she does things she regrets, what if she kills the baby, or deforms it?
Then what would it be?

this is kinda confusing

so if someone bred a md with a darwin it would be a hybrid?
No, it would still be a carpet python
if a sa woma and a nt bhp mated the offspring would be hybrids?
Yes, that is a hybrid
port macs are intergrades because they are found in the wild in an overlapping range of 2 snakes?

I'm confused now

nope if 2 species overlap and breed its a natural hybrid, intergrades are the result of a gradual change as a species moves such as the carpet python, as it moved south it went through a number of changes giving us what we today calss as jungles, coastals and diamonds, in between those forms there are intermediate forms, the best known being the port mac carpet. As said there is no magical point where they change, its a gradual process

But then what if the diamond smokes during pregnancy? She's a troubled woman, she does things she regrets, what if she kills the baby, or deforms it?
Then what would it be?

What if he isnt the real father? does he have a case he can win for sole custerdy? mmm custard

See below as I believe Waterrat is correct here.

no his definition is not the correct definition of an intergrade, Here is the definition of intergrade from the oxford dictionary.

verb
[no object] Biology

pass into another form by a series of intervening forms.

noun

a form resulting from intergrading.

I respect that mate.... But scientifically their not.

From all i have found scientifically they are calssed and an intra-specific hybrid

What if he isnt the real father? does he have a case he can win for sole custerdy? mmm custard

Did a DNA test on his custard disprove he is the father?

What if she self impregnated? What then? would you end up with a intergrade clone with a hybrid complex?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back