Grass clippings as part rat/mice substrate

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JAS101

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has used there grass clippings as a part/ whole substrate for there breeding rat/mice ?
i know the sawdust bales arnt that $$$ but every saving can help [ kinda why pepole breed there own reptile food]

Yes, I use it all the time, it works very well, but there is always the risk of parasites

Yes, most parasites like a cool moist environment, if you leave it in the sun for a while it drys out and heats up this will get rid of them.

remember just because you by it, doesn't mean it is parasite free. I brought a rat from a pet store, got home and found out that it had ear mites, and their bags of saw dust were kept under the rat cages

Last edited:
I would be more concerned with toxic fumes and droplets of oil and fuel from the mower that would taint the grass clippings, just my opinion.

I would be more concerned with toxic fumes and droplets of oil and fuel from the mower that would taint the grass clippings, just my opinion.
thats what i was thinking , but then on the other hand i doubt that my lawn mower would be dropping fuel or oil.
anyway i have some grass drying atm , ill try it in one tub for a week or 2 and see how it go`s . can only try theese things .

how do you think they cut the wood to make sawdust?? just asking.....

When I kept rats, I just layered the bottom of their tank with lots of newspaper. They were then free to tear what they wanted for nesting. Never had any problems, all rats lived long and healthy lives (they were pets, not snake food :) )

When I kept rats, I just layered the bottom of their tank with lots of newspaper. They were then free to tear what they wanted for nesting. Never had any problems, all rats lived long and healthy lives (they were pets, not snake food :) )

I used to do this when I had mice in a tank back east - I would just open the paper to the middle and let the mice go nuts - easy enough to put a few down and just remove soiled layers.

how do you think they cut the wood to make sawdust?? just asking.....

I would imagine they use an electric wood shaver (sander/planer) to make wood shavings. I am not a cabinet maker so I don't really know :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back