Snake Sausage

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eracer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I remember years ago that you used to be able to buy 'snake sausages'. These were sausages to feed your snake rather than rats and mice. You dont see them any more. Any one know why or when.....are they still available.

They are still available overseas. I never knew they made it to Australia to be honest.

The recipe goes something like this turkey mince, bonemeal, crushed centrum tablet. ????

Someone else may remember the orginal recipe, I have it stashed somewhere if I can find it I will post it

a pet shop near where i used to live in england used to sell them, im pretty sure they're almost the same in nutritional value, they're just better for problem feeders because they go down easier.

I have the recipe in a PDF that was sent to me about monitor care. It is called San Diego Zoo something. Try searching for that. I'd post the PDF but for one I'm on my phone and two I don't know if the author would want it posted

Thanks heaps. Woudl be interesting to see what they use for the skin. I can imagine fangs and teeth bursting the snags and its innards going every where. Then there is the terrable problem of regurge of blended material and subsequent suffocations. This can happen when you force feed snakes blended mice/chicks. A terrible outcome. But if the blend was more solid like those protopack dog rolls then it would not be a prob. Look forward to getting the recipe

There was a pet shop in Melbourne who did some as a trial,have no idea how it turned out though.They used to be sponsors here not sure if they still are so I wont name them.Initials are of the shop are AA though if that helps.

i would like to hear from some people that have tried them i might get into contact with some vets to see what thay are like and if thay are any good

i would like to hear from some people that have tried them i might get into contact with some vets to see what thay are like and if thay are any good

Why do you think that vets have tried them? I would of thought they would prefer to eat prime beef cuts given they way most charge.

I cant possibly imagine that there could be anything wrong with it if the nutritional value is there. The reason I ask is a food supplier just rang me up the other day saying she can get access to hundreds ++ of rabbit head. She wanted to know if herpers would be interested in purchasing them as a source of food. I said that the nutritional value might be there but it was be a bit gross defrosting a severed head and feeding it to a snake. Imagine what the inside of your enclosure would look like after your snake had thrashed around with a dead head in its mouth. Then I suggested blending in a sausage. She is going to start doin some experimenting with it!! Yummy. Just dont get them mixed up with the BBQ snags!

I just got to my computer. This is the recipe I was given. It sounds very similar to the one Bredlislave was talking about:

*San Diego Zoo (SDZ) turkey diet
(use this as a supplement, not as a steady diet)
Mix 2kg of minced turkey with 45 grams of bonemeal (available at health food stores) or calcium
powder (preferably calcium gluconate, which is sometimes available from chemists – you may have
to order it) and one Centrum tablet, crushed. Roll into small sausage shapes and freeze in plastic
bags, so you can bring them out one at a time and chop up easily, then thaw. The San Diego Zoo
nutritionists developed this diet – apparently it replicates the nutritional value of a mouse. Baby
monitors love it, but it does give them much runnier stools than whole rodents (the hair is a good
binder). It’s always preferable to give whole rodents and whole food in general, but sometimes are
rodent shortages in the reptile trade so the SDZ turkey diet is good as an interim measure.

it does give them much runnier stools

Yes I do recall the reason for it's short-lived popularity........the enclosure walls are "painted" and it takes lots longer to clean the enclosure.....there's always a downside :)

I remember seeing a video of a German (?) Herpetologist feeding hundreds of snakes with a set up similar to the way chickens are force fed. Grab the animal, shove its' open mouth onto a nozzle type thing and pump away with a foot pedal. Very fast and his snakes seemed in great shape. :)
I thought it was gross

Last edited:
it does give them much runnier stools

Yes I do recall the reason for it's short-lived popularity........the enclosure walls are "painted" and it takes lots longer to clean the enclosure.....there's always a downside :)

I remember seeing a video of a German (?) Herpetologist feeding hundreds of snakes with a set up similar to the way chickens are force fed. Grab the animal, shove its' open mouth onto a nozzle type thing and pump away with a foot pedal. Very fast and his snakes seemed in great shape. :)
I thought it was gross

Easy then, mix some paint in the ingrediants! Instant decorated cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back