Up for it

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eracer

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, Came across this forum whilst doing some ''research'" on the character assassinations of wildlife presenters. You guys are 'da ****' when it comes to slamming presenters that you dont like. Which means you are a good source of constructive criticism!! I.E. you dont pull any punches.

If you have five minutes check out a couple of episodes of the Snake Whisperer on you tube. Here is a link to get you started.

[video=youtube;0HOcU6dkK-A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HOcU6dkK-A[/video]

Please at least first consider that every one of the 19 episodes except the first one was fillmed primarily by me (filming myself). Apart from that CAVEAT, bring it on!!

We are putting together a doco proposal and I need to find the balance between carefully considered correct content (try saying that fast) and over enthusiastic cowboy antics.

I will likely read your comments, have a quick cry, then take your advice onboard so thanks in advance.

Ah I was wondering if you were a member on here.
I love the video of you trying to get your friends to get over there phobia of snakes.
It was great.
"It can't hear you it has no ears"
"Don't break my snake"

Absolute gold mate :)

I'l start watching you videos now actually.

Yes, yes it is.
Simply for constructive criticism, maybe don't use snakes that have something 'wrong' with them for your shots? Mainly talking about the olive with the munged up mouth in the first episode. I mean, sure it may not impede it these day's or whatever, but to joe blow that doesn't know you or understand that you care about these animals, it may seem that you are using unhealthy animals and you will possibly get flamed for it.

I just finished watching all your films and I really enjoyed them.
Only thing I didn't like was some of your music (the aboriginal soundtrack was the best).
But as a presenter you don't come across as fake or hamming it up for the camera, your commentry is informative and interesting and your voice is easy to listen to (Austen Steven's voice irritates me!!!)

If you end up making a documentry I will definately watch it!

Hey, Just got back from NZ. Not much in the way of reps and had to be content at staring at a couple of Tuatara through the glass at a wildlife park. Thanks heaps for the criticism....which actually appears to be the opposite. Managed to produce a proper promo pilot to promote to some networks so fingers crossed. In the mean time, Ill keep the camera rolling.
Thanks for the comments on the the olive. Understand where your coming from.

i like the fact you show alot of pythons, most times if you watch something on tv you see them focus on the venemous species, just nice to see some more screen time for our "other" types of snakes.

Episode 2 is it really a Green Tree Frog or could it be Splendida or cavernicola? It can't be viewed in anything more than 240p so I can't say for sure it is anything. If it is Cavernicola then that would have been an impressive find.

After seeing "Episode 5: Face your fears part 1" i cant take you seriously. Winding up that affinis and touching it on the top of the head is the sort of stuff i did when i was 14, showing off in front of the girls. Most of us grow out of it, you obviously didnt. Its a pity, you have access to a variety of nice animals but apparently cant show them off without looking like a clown.

Echiopsis,

Thats fair. (I might just add I didnt wind the snake up - it was a relocation and did that everytime it came out of the box). But that is a fair comment. The point I was trying to make was that snakes are defensive not aggressive, and this is a defensive display. I was trying to demonstrate that even the most agitated and nervous (scared) snakes dont ATTACK...that they will display and false strike with no intention of biting.

Anyone else care to comment here? Is this type of filming innapropriate and unnecassary??

I just discovered Corey Wild. That guys does some amazing close contact stuff.......but it does seem unnecassry.

How the heck does one find the balance between entertainment, education and extremism??

The frogs are splendida btw. around Kununurra.

And on the music comment ..... You are spot on. Choosing music is tricky and something best left to someone else. I dig classical and that aboriginal music is off an ABC Classical CD. Nuff said

Sorry dannyboi. I got confused with your comment. The big ones in the caves are splendida but there is no associated audio comment. The one high up on the wall is a standard green tree. Up around Kunners you can usually find the normal greens almost everywhere, but you have to look a lot harder for the splendids. When you do find them though, you can find them in big number.

Last edited:
Great work eracer.... like others I particularly love the "Face Your Fears" videos. I think they would play well to a wider audience and I wish you luck with getting picked up by a TV network.

As for the member who gave you a hard time for winding up the snake in Face Your Fears part 1 - he is obviously someone who takes himself entirely too seriously! You are not only an educator but an entertainer and as such it was your job to not only show how a snake that feels threatened will defend itself but to also to entertain the viewers. Just goes to prove you can't please everyone!

Last edited:
Mate just be your self!! im sure steve urwin did not care about how he looked (to most herpers he was a clown but the public loved him) and lets face it the world is full of non herpers

Thanks guys, That phobia stuff is great and there are some psychology scientists in QLD studying the background behind this sort of fear. Is it borne out of bad experience, or is it in our 'genes' so to speak. How cool would it be to find that out. No doubt we all saw that photo of that baby in india playing with the Cobra. OK...not an example I would like to repeat with my own kids, but the baby had no fear as obviously it had not been taught to fear. Next time we do Face your Fear we have to do better with the heart rate monitor.

I think Echiopsis does have a fair point and we do walk a fine line. Some WA herpers complained to DEC about this footage. But then I watched Corey Wild and as I mentioned, that boy takes it to the next level.

I asked for feedback and I got it. I really really appreciate anyone one thta took the time. I think we are about two to three weeks from finding out about the series. So fingers crossed. If our pitch to the networks flops, we will just keep trying!!!!

Thanks again.

i think the fear aspect of snakes is a culteral thing. Most people in Western Society are brought up to be afraid of snakes or that they are evil and mysterious Beast.
Whilst in alot of traditional asian countries snakes are worshiped, a food source, or just another animal.

Maybe if you think that has any substance you can look into it.

Yeah. That is true. But I do heaps and heaps of displays and see the reactions of a range of different kids from different ages. Some have no fear at all and some just wont come near us (though I cant know if they are just shy kids and are afraid of us as much as the snakes).
I would LOVE to put a python in a room with toddlers and monitor the range of reactions, but I fear the poor python may come out second best!!!
I do agree, whole heartedly, that adults opinions are shaped by society and culture. That is why they are great candidates for face you fear. We have facebook pages and I have pleaded for another volunteer but funnily enough nobody is readility up for the challenge.

Yer my girlfriend does child studies and said that babies and toddlers wouldn't really care if a few snakes just slithering in a room with them.
But yer, it is interesting.

Thanks guys, That phobia stuff is great and there are some psychology scientists in QLD studying the background behind this sort of fear. Is it borne out of bad experience, or is it in our 'genes' so to speak. How cool would it be to find that out. No doubt we all saw that photo of that baby in india playing with the Cobra. OK...not an example I would like to repeat with my own kids, but the baby had no fear as obviously it had not been taught to fear. Next time we do Face your Fear we have to do better with the heart rate monitor.

I think Echiopsis does have a fair point and we do walk a fine line. Some WA herpers complained to DEC about this footage. But then I watched Corey Wild and as I mentioned, that boy takes it to the next level.

I asked for feedback and I got it. I really really appreciate anyone one thta took the time. I think we are about two to three weeks from finding out about the series. So fingers crossed. If our pitch to the networks flops, we will just keep trying!!!!

Thanks again.
Let us know how it goes, if you want I can be a free labor crew man.

mate i have seen the clips before on youtube and think they r great as u said there is only so much u can do on ur own without a cameraman etc great job

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back