Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to say they are native i meant to say that they aren't in the wild whoops

PhotosP1050087.jpgP1050098.jpgP1050115.jpgP1050132.jpg
On Light coloured snakes they are easy to see
But on darker coloured ones not so easy
pics 3 and 4 show how they lift the scales

I have heard that placing a snake/lizard in a pillow case with flea powder helps. I heard this from someone in Fauna rescue who obtained blueys with mites so i guess that rules out the theory that mites aren't native.

snake mites are different to other mites find on lizards (which are native). Mite isn't mite.

Whao that time I found a couple mites I went all crazy but seeing longqi's snakes I think I had it lucky lol. Thanks for sharing mate, now people know what to look for. Though the first place mites will present themselves is under the snakes head and around the eyes.

Usually under the head and around eyes is where you see them first
But if they are there they are also everywhere else
I own a fair number of snakes up here now
P1030214.jpg
This is a really nice burmese called Luna
When I got her she had 65 ticks and hundreds of mites
All fat and healthy now

Mites are all arachnids if a mite spray will work on a tick then what works on lizard mites should work on snake mites

Just because something should work does not mean it will work without damage to your animal....
On humans the best treatment for head lice is eucalyptus oil
Try that on your snake?????
NO I dont think so
While you have cheap and easy access to things like TOD use them

Just a question. When using TOD it says do NOT spray the snake directly.

Also says spray the enclosure etc every day for 7 consecutive days.

Is this what others do??

i dont think it would be to strong for the snake.possibly the nose/mouth and eyes but not the skin.just try and avoid the head i spose.i went to the pet shop and they told me to use permoxin.horse and dog spray and then use the actual reptile stuff towards the top of there head as its weaker.i also found that my snakle when she had mites had a heap in her heat pits...

are mites white aswell?

Last edited:
OK, so here is my situation. Please don't judge until you've read this post fully.

I have 3 jungle pythons in the one enclosure. They were bought this way from the breeder, two are strong feeders, the other one IS eating because he has recently shed and is bigger than one of the strong feeders. I KNOW the housing of the snakes together isn't stressing him (the one that hasn't had a feed for me) out because he was housed with the other snakes at the breeders house and was eating.

Now, I got the 3rd snake because one I got has a dodgy spine, and the breeder didn't want to charge me for him. I DIDN'T quarantine them because they were all together anyway. I can't see the point of the quarantine when they were in the same tub 24 hours prior. So before people lecture me on quarantine, please don't because it would have been futile anyway.

Now as I said, ending up with 3 snakes was an accident, and I only have the resources to heat two enclosures, one click clack, and the terrarium. So either way, two snakes will be together at minimum, so I may aswell keep all 3 together...

What I want to know is, IF I rip everything out of the terrarium, vines, plants, hides etc, get rid of the aspen and put down newspaper, can I treat all 3 at once in the same enclosure?

I have Mac Mite Spray, it says to remove any substrate from the enclosure, give the enclosure a big spray, and return the animal immediately, repeat after 7 days.

IF I repeat this process every 7 days over the course of a month, am I likely to get rid of the mites? I have a foam back rockwall looking thing, is it possible to treat this and also treat the vines/bushes/plant? I intend of removing everything, treating all the furniture (except the water bowl) using paper as substrate until the mites are gone and then returning to aspen.

I can't see how treating 3 snakes in the one enclosure is any different to treating a big one.

Any advice?

Hope this helps, not trying to say other ways wont work this is what worked for me.

You can also soak them in betadine/water soultion, 1 bath per snake, obviously warm temps and enough betadine too turn the water to a urine colour (maybe add the betadine after letting your snake/s soak in fresh water so they dont drink the betadine solution.any mites around the head you can dab mineral oil on with a cotton bud. (Personally i didnt have to repeat this i only had to do it once but with 3 snakes you should probably do it every 4 days)

Do this plus clean enclosure thoroughly in bleach/water soultion (30:1) let sit 15 minutes then rinse with normal water (or just use F10) also soak fake plants/ hides/ water bowls Etc. in soultion and rinse. you may have to repeat this step every 4-6 days

Completely dispose of substrate often!!!!

And use your MAC/TOD spray as directed on bottle making sure to spray outside the enclosure on the exterior of the enclosure and caperts/draps/curtins Etc.

Cheers Batesy​

Thanks Batesy, but the problem is solved, I think.

Just after I posted this, I was curious to see if the mites would drop off if I sprayed some mac mite spray into a click clack and let her slither around. I did that, there were no mites on her AND there are none on her to this day. This was longer than 14 days ago. I don't think she had mites, I may have been mistaken.

Funny that you mention it, because now (first time EVER) she is lying in the water bowl, but she hasn't shed with me since I've had her and she's had plenty of feeds, and grown a fair bit, so I'm putting my money on her doing this to aid in shedding.

If it is mites (I'll be able to see them in the water bowl) I'll treat her, and the other 3, keep them in seperate click clacks for 14 days and treat often until it's well and truly done with.

Thanks again mate, I appreciate it.

(Stands Up) Hi my name is Glenn and its been over 10 years since my last mite infestation! lol So due to a stupid mistake on my behalf... (not quarantining!!!) I now have a mite infestation in one of my enclosures from a Water Python that i bought recently... It's really does pay not to be lazy and not be in a rush when you have such a big collection. I guess i know what i'm doing with myself this weekend...

great posts guys but can these same methods be used for greens as well? i was a bit worries about the hole spraying my green with water to keep them humid while having the top of decent also in my tubs, was worries they may like the droplet which in turn would have the "tod" in it. Any help will be greatly apprecited?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back