There’s a snake in my living room! How cool is that?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Renenet

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I went to the reptile expo on Saturday intending to limit my purchases to equipment. Well, I got the equipment – and a gorgeous two-month-old wheatbelt Stimmie I’ve named Zephyr. She’s my first snake.

She doesn’t seem shy. The reading I’ve done left me with the impression that baby pythons are timid, so when I popped her in her click-clack I thought she’d go straight for a hide. Instead she explored every square centimetre of her enclosure, nosing at the underside of the lid and examining every air hole. Ha ha, I think I’m going to have to watch this one carefully. I did indeed watch her for the first half-hour, unable to take my eyes off her. She opened her mouth a couple of times – yawning? Do snakes yawn? – which was just adorable. She's inquisitive as well. Whenever I change something around in her click-clack she's there to check it out. Although it’s too early to be sure, Zephyr looks like she’ll be a calm, confident snake. Active, too, unless that’s her being unsettled in a new environment.

I’m forcing myself to leave her alone and have put a cardboard screen between her enclosure and the outside world to give her some privacy. I’ll try to feed her for the first time next weekend.

I’ve been looking forward to having a snake for years. Now that I have a beautiful snake I’m so scared I’ll do something wrong. But I’m excited too and I’m pretty sure if everything goes well with Zephyr I’ll be adding to my collection in a year or two. A mating partner for Zeph and a GTP are high on the list!

I’ll try to get some good pictures after she’s settled in.

awesome!! look forward to seeing some pics

Your doing well with her, sounds like she will be a spoiled little critter.

yeh mate i did the same. got a hatchie female olive pyrhon at the expo. i fed her saturday night she gulped it down.

Thanks for the comments. Yep, she is gorgeous and I already love her to pieces. She will be very spoiled, I can guarantee that!

Congratulations on your new pet, great hobby to be in. Looking forward to pics as well.

cant wait for pics.. just relax and enjoy your new addition..

Welcome to the reptile world, we love it here!!
Congrats on your purchase, I have one of those arriving in two weeks to add to my awesome collection.
Sounds like you are doing everything right, so no need to worry. Plenty of people here to help you along the way.
Great name too (Zephyr)...
Good luck and look forward to pics!!

Thanks for the comments, welcomes and encouragement. Zephyr is doing really well. She has a great personality; if there is such a thing, she's an outgoing snake. She shows no fear of me, coming right up to me nearly every time I open her click clack. She's very active and I'm actually starting to wonder if her enclosure is big enough for her. She's bitten me once, but I think that was because I moved my hand near her mouth a bit too quickly when she was hungry.

And on that topic, she's an enthusiastic eater, striking and coiling eagerly around my offerings. She's eaten four times and never refused a meal. Last night she grabbed her pinky by the belly instead of the head and literally tied herself in a knot trying to figure out how to eat it. She got there eventually.

I've posted some pictures of her in an album for those of you who'd like to see her.

great looking snake, looks like your doing everything correctly. i feel your click clack is a decent size, however pythons do grow quickly so you might be looking for a bigger tub soon ;)

Sounds like your snake is happy, be careful it sounds like an escape artist though . I had a diamond like that and she will eventually find any weakness in your enclosure no matter how remote.

Sounds like your snake is happy, be careful it sounds like an escape artist though . I had a diamond like that and she will eventually find any weakness in your enclosure no matter how remote.

Yep, I had her pegged as an escape artist the day I got her. She's inquisitive and loves to go for a wander. I've seen her testing airholes any number of times.

Thanks for sharing your pics, I have a windora stimson, little bit smaller than yours though.

I took this photo as quickly and quietly as I could to avoid disturbing her. I boiled this rock to sterilise it and popped it in after I cleaned her enclosure today. Zephyr seems to love it.

rockingsnake.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back