Model needs snake for photoshoot in Petersham, Sydney NSW.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you don't charge a fee it is not commercial. The reptile is not on LIVE display so I think you could argue it. It is also not out in public. I think they would have trouble prosecuting......Hopefully;}

I'm not sure that private keepers are permitted to allow their animals to be used like this. Public display or commercial use or whatever... DECCW is as confused about this stuff as we are, but I think it would be unlawful to use your reptiles for such a purpose.

I'm not condoning the restrictions, just pointing out that it may not be legal.

J

In WA you cant. Not sure about the other states. I have a Reg 16 to display and train so Im good. The rules are pretty clear here. You snake must stay within the premises of the licencee address and not be taken out for public display. I had a mate who owned a pet store. He wanted to keep his pet snake at that address but could not as it was condoned as a public display. Our rules are strict but easy enough to follow.

This might get deleted under the 'promo or advertising'. I hope not but fine if it does. It is just a facebook page showing a few modelling shots. I am responsible for the choice of snakes.

Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More

Last edited:
yeahhh im not sure. Each to their own but i think its super tacky to do this style of shoot especially when the girls don't look comfortable

waruikazi, that is so horrible.. i am so sorry for your loss.. i can now understand your concerns..

Yeah, Im (almost) sure that common sense would prevail if you encountered a DECCW, but they are proposing an increase in enforcement activity... and it WOULD be possible, under current licence conditions, to charge you if they felt it was necessary, so you never know. I was really just pointing out the stupidity of such restrictions, and how pointless they are.

I had a Reg 16 when I was in Perth, and had a few species on it, including Diamonds and Water Pythons. As a dealer there, I had a query from a belly dancer who wanted a snake for her act. I told her it would not be possible to use a reptile licensed as a pet for such a purpose, but a Reg 16 might work, but they take months to get... She went down to (then) CALM the next day, and bugger me, she went home with a Reg 16 licence, gained over the counter the very same day! I never did find out what she did to get such privileged service.

Some people have it, some don't I guess...

J

Much the same as taking the odd snake to school for the kids show and tell days , it's not really allowed , but I dint think its a real big issue , well not that I am aware of any way ....

When i was 5 my Dad caught a 4m carpet python in our chicken/duck pen where it had clearly eaten 3 of our ducks (3 lumps). So he brought it to my show and tell, clearly was the best show and tell ever, noone could top it all through primary school :). All the kids were touching the tail as my Dad held the head in his hands. The teacher made the mistake of grabbing the tail and the snake proceeded to wrap around her arm, she screamed and all us kids laughed our asses off :p

Dad set it free out near Wacol (semi bush area).

Yeah, Im (almost) sure that common sense would prevail if you encountered a DECCW, but they are proposing an increase in enforcement activity... and it WOULD be possible, under current licence conditions, to charge you if they felt it was necessary, so you never know. I was really just pointing out the stupidity of such restrictions, and how pointless they are.

I had a Reg 16 when I was in Perth, and had a few species on it, including Diamonds and Water Pythons. As a dealer there, I had a query from a belly dancer who wanted a snake for her act. I told her it would not be possible to use a reptile licensed as a pet for such a purpose, but a Reg 16 might work, but they take months to get... She went down to (then) CALM the next day, and bugger me, she went home with a Reg 16 licence, gained over the counter the very same day! I never did find out what she did to get such privileged service.

Some people have it, some don't I guess...

J

YEAH....I heard about her too. That spun me out incredibly. The story I got was that she was being supplied the snakes...I did not know where from or how. Might chase that up, if nothing else but just to see her show

There are people around who have the permits to allow them to do such things, they make a living with this.

As one of these people (with permits to operate in many states) it is frustrating to me as once people start doing their Childs school for free, model shoots, snake jobs for free etc they are eating into my potential market for which I have had to pay in some states considerable fees to have permission to do so, not to mention the insurance.

I have mentioned this before and people on this site claimed I was obviously doing poorly and should pull my head in, so why is it that sparkies get upset when people do freebies, mechanics vet upset at back yard jobs etc.....just because you can do something doesn't mean it's right or ethical.

We have done lots of model work and we have had no problems, it all comes down to the way you approach things, it's not uncommon to have a frightened person come round very quickly with the right attitude and the right people around them.

I have mentioned this before and people on this site claimed I was obviously doing poorly and should pull my head in, so why is it that sparkies get upset when people do freebies, mechanics vet upset at back yard jobs etc...

how dare someone fix something them selves... when there is a perfectly overpriced alterernitive. Oh & them bad ppl making there own snake enclosures, i mean you could buy one for 4 times the price.... what's the world coming to hey....lol..

Last edited:
So its ok to break laws so long as it makes things cheaper.....the comparison was made more as a reference to taking income from people, especially when these people are doing the right thing, obtaining permits and getting insurance.....but yours is the typical response I would expect!

not at all... its ok to break the law aslong as you dont get caught...lol..

I disagree Snakehandler. I have an uncle who is a sparky who certifies my electrics. Instead of him doing it for nothing should I be going out and paying someone else for the same thing? Would you honestly do that?

Snakehandler, I sympathise with your sentiments but that kind of thing is happening in all walks of life. As a wildlife photographer, should I hate every amateur who offers his/her pics for nothing and every publisher who reaches out for these freebees? Get on with life. Complining on the forum will only create enemies. There is a way to get on the top of the amateurs, do your job so well and price it so competitively, that your reputation will become unbeatable.

Snakehandler, I sympathise with your sentiments but that kind of thing is happening in all walks of life. As a wildlife photographer, should I hate every amateur who offers his/her pics for nothing and every publisher who reaches out for these freebees? Get on with life. Complining on the forum will only create enemies. There is a way to get on the top of the amateurs, do your job so well and price it so competitively, that your reputation will become unbeatable.

You should change your name to 'Yoda' Micheal:lol::lol:
Well said and as a sparky i can tell you that a lot of people make a lot of money fixing 'backyard jobs'.so sit back snakehandler and wait for the call when the model gets bit and the snake gets dropped..

You should change your name to 'Yoda' Micheal:lol::lol:
Well said and as a sparky i can tell you that a lot of people make a lot of money fixing 'backyard jobs'.so sit back snakehandler and wait for the call when the model gets bit and the snake gets dropped..

Yeah Michael you have some great posts. I agree entirely.
Haha Jason I've heard that it can work out better that way because the cost to fix the damage is usually more than the original job would have cost.

Hahaha too true Jason. :) Though as a sparky I usually try and avoid touching any wiring that has been done by a backyarder. Either pay me to start from scratch or get someone else ;)

wow, thsi thread got side-tracked! interesting thoughts though everyone.

Snakehandler....A couple of questions for you. Firstly ...Would you travel up to Sydney from Melbourne with a couple of pythons to do an hour photoshoot? and secondly What sort of price would you try to charge the model considering the travel charges, permits and hourly charges? I have done this type of work before and I know the charges usually go to the model. I know that in this case and the others I have done that the models are paying for the shoot out of their own pocket. These models are NOT Naomi Campbell or Elle McPherson and are usually struggling to make ends meet. It is costing enough for the makeup, costumes and the photographer and if they also have to fork out for what is effectively a prop and pay from between $200 to a grand to get you from Melbourne, I can guarantee the model will use either a plastic prop or change the theme for the shoot. I have talked to the Photographers about how much the regular charges for this type of work are and they all tell me that they usually never pay for this type of thing and for me personally, I am proud to see my pets in some great photos. I also like picking up some hints on taking good photos from the pros.
This model and models like her would not use your services anyhow so I and others like me are not stealing your work or stepping on your toes. So how about you stick with the big name, tv, movie and advertising contracts and leave the struggling amateur models to amateurs like us.
I do understand what you are saying but as an Air Conditioning mechanic I have been called out to an old struggling pensioners house during the heat of summer, after being told about a big company charging her a couple of hundred dollars, just to replace a fuse. I can't justify charging her like that and after her offering a sandwich and a cuppa, I tell her don't worry about the charges and tell her if it happens again just ring me. I also help mates out by helping install a split system or ducted system for a couple of hundred or a barbie and some beers so if a TOG rings me up and says he/she needs a hand then I am happy to help. It is simply something you find in all professions and by you complaining, just makes you sound like a person trying to create a monopoly for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back