Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whatmeworry

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey guys im really worried. i have a diamond x coastal carpet python and his colour has gone from quite bright to a bit dull. I have no idea how this happened.

his temperature in his enclosure is 27 degrees and is like that most of the time, but at the moment i dont have a heat mat, i had a small one that he liked but replaced it with a bigger one that was way way to hot and cracked the glass on the bottom. i have covered with substratw. I am afraid to put the original back, as the enclosure may fall apart!!:?

sounds like he is starting to shed should see cloudy eyes over next few days.

is the 27c the hot spot not sure the requirement of the diamond x but i know lot of ppl in Vic and NSW that don't have any heating for diamonds except for UV and they thrive

thanks anyway, but its not a shed kind of dull, that is usually a milky grey, his colours just arnt bright. also if i hold him up to my ear, i hear a clicking noise. not anything respiratory i dont think, more the joints in his back

This is why i hate cross animals, because a good hot spot for a coastal is 32-33deg, but that is way to hot for a diamond. So beats me how you would work out a hot spot for a diamond x coastal!

Is he eating/pooping ok? you most likley dont have a problem. patterns do change, it happens, aslong as he is eating/pooping and isnt weak and lathargic, you probably dont have a problem at all.

This is why i hate cross animals, because a good hot spot for a coastal is 32-33deg, but that is way to hot for a diamond. So beats me how you would work out a hot spot for a diamond x coastal!

the diamond X jungle python i have sliding round my shoulders right now has Tp of 31. never had a health problem in 12 years.

sounds like a slough coming to me

how old is it.if it isn't shedding and it is more than 7 yo it could well be DPS. it can occur in most species carpets that are kept too warm (not just diamonds, although it is the most common). my diamonds dulled in colour and about a year or so later the neuro issues started and you could hear the bones breaking and sadly had to be put down.
i hope it isn't but it doesn't sound great.good luck with it .
cheers
simon

thanks jack but i doubt that, he shed barely a weak ago. either its duller or i have gone blind haha

so would u recommend me putting the smaller heat mat in?? or should i get one of those mercury vapor bulbs and a thermostat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back