Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've only gotten my Children's python after 3-4 years of 'arguments' , my Dad loved the idea of keeping reptiles...Mum didn't, but in the end she doesn't need to clean it's cage, feed it, change its water or even look at it, more then i can say about the numerous amount of fish we've had in the past. Good riddance fish is all i have to say.

I'm not entirely sure what snakes you have to choose from but here goes, anyway.

My first snake/s were corn snakes. Though the little beggars escaped (they came back after a couple of months though) after having them a couple of days because of having the wrong type of enclosure (durrrrrr). They don't grow too big and they are possibly the softest snakes. The other snake I have which I got after my corns is a mexican black. He's a bit nippy sometimes but other than that, he has a great temperment and won't grow much bigger than corn snakes.

It's a lot to take into consideration for a first time snake. Everything people have said is a valid point; money, space, time, etc. You don't want a snake that needs handling to tame it when you don't have the time to spare.

sound advice and it sounds like you have some great animals, but unfortunately neither of those snakes are native to Australia and therefor are not legal to keep.
your points on time, money and space are just as relevant here as in the uk though and should definitely be taken into consideration.

also mate, I recommend getting the approval of a nice looking enclosure and paying for that before you think about a snake. just chuck him in a click clack inside the enclosure when you first get him and upsize until you have him out in the big one. the hardest part for me to convice my mother to get into the herps was that it would make one of the rooms look ugly. I moved out not long after the "reptile enclosures make my house look ugly" conversation and she bought a beardy and an enclosure then frogs and then more frogs... admittedly she is now trying to sell the beardy to use the space for god only knows what but the point is, your mum has probably put a great deal of effort into designing her home. If you give her the opportunity to design your snakes place in that home it might make things travel along more smoothly.

hmmmm :(

i think judging on all the responses im better off just waiting around until they come to terms with the idea. :)
mind you in the meantime i will keep adding pressure :p tehe

im 19 btw :D

Mate its his choice....at the end of the day its something personal between him and his parents, he was asking for opinions on snakes, not for further permission...

Totally agree with you man! ^ ^...Also i read Syeph8 said Water Pythons grow relatively small,.....hmm..the only water python that grows small is the Pygmy Water python from Narnia...and sorry to Burst the bubble on Jungles,not as all are snappy,but Jungles can get to a fairly large size.

Last edited:
sound advice and it sounds like you have some great animals, but unfortunately neither of those snakes are native to Australia and therefor are not legal to keep.

Ah, I didn't realise. Snake knowledge isn't too great but geographical nativity of snakes is even lower :D

For something that doesn't grow too big, people have said childrens as they don't grow too big, about a metre? For something bigger (and more impressive) a scrub python would fit very well. They do grow quite beastly compared to childrens but if you get a captive bred one over a wild caught, they have brilliant temperments. My little scrubbie has never struck me since I've had her, handles great and seems to love climbing my face to get to the top of my head.

It seems everyone has forgotten to mention Womas, they range in size from 120cm to a bit over 2m depending on what locale you get, they are fantasic feeders, look stunning and are a great first snake.
Its already been said but Jungles are also kinda small, can be snappy (I have owned 4, only one has tried to bite me) but are without doubt one of Australia most beautiful pythons

Good luck with you choice and your parents dont have be freaked out, just promise them you wont get it out when they in the room and that you will get a lock so it cant escape

Josh

Ah, I didn't realise. Snake knowledge isn't too great but geographical nativity of snakes is even lower :D

For something that doesn't grow too big, people have said childrens as they don't grow too big, about a metre? For something bigger (and more impressive) a scrub python would fit very well. They do grow quite beastly compared to childrens but if you get a captive bred one over a wild caught, they have brilliant temperments. My little scrubbie has never struck me since I've had her, handles great and seems to love climbing my face to get to the top of my head.

You have wild caught Scrubbies in the UK? And are you crazy? Scrubbies are not a beginner snake suitable for a teenager. Also having a snake of that size without a 2nd person in the house who can wrangle it if things turn hairy is a bit risky imo

Last edited:
You have wild caught Scrubbies in the UK? And are you crazy? Scrubbies are not a beginner snake suitable for a teenager. Also having a snake of that size without a 2nd person in the house who can wrangle it if things turn hairy is a bit risky imo

No, mine was captive bred from an imported father and a captive mother, as far as I'm aware.
And I wasn't advising getting a fully grown scrub. I've only been a snake owner since about October '10 and got my Scrub in January this year. She's probably the calmest of them all out of the two corns and the mexican black I have. As the scrub grows, the experience will with the owner.

Frequently Asked Questions - Aussie Pythons & Snakes
What is the best first snake / python
Purchasing Your First Python
What enclosure do I keep a hatchling in?
How often can I handle my snake?
What can I feed my python?
Why won't my snake feed?
Why is my python not shedding correctly?
How can I sex my python?
Can I keep more than one snake in an enclosure?
Can I use real plants in my enclosure?
What kind of diseases can my snake get?
What kind of substrate should I use?
Glossary of Common Terms
Licensing Information
Import and Export Information
Reptile Breeders and also have Marketplace Feedback
Reptile Societies
Reptile Supply Stores
Reptile Vets
Health Conditions and Diseases
Species Profiles