my new snake

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ausgirl

Reaction score
039.jpg

i just bought my coastal python yearling yesterday, as i was moving her hide it feel right beside her and she quickly moved to the other end in her other hide, will she be ok? and she didnt look happy when this happend. also they said to leave it about a week till handling her will she bite when i first handle her and will it hurt this is my first snake? can someone help me please.

also i got told that she doesnt look like a coastal python

she will be ok just leave her be for a week then try and feed her. I would wait till she has digested this meal then try and handle her.
The diamond python appears to intergrade with the eastern carpet python. Depending where the snakes come from the can show combinations of both diamond python and eastern carpet pattern. Sometimes these species have bred and create a mixture once again.

As long as it did not fall on her, it should be fine. If it did fall on her, if its just the normal plastic hide you buy from pet shops, it should be ok........In saying that I am sure that will be checked when you do your post purchase check with your vet?
The general advice is to leave them for a week, but each to their own. If you are worried about her biting you, surely all your research you would of already of done before purchasing would give you that answer?
Again when doing your research of breeders etc, you would be confident of getting what you paid for?
Sorry I understand we all have to learn and that is what this forum is for........but at what cost to the animals??
Why buy first, and ask questions later? Should it not be the other way round - well at least if you are a responsible owner.

Looks like a coastal

Hey, first off, CONGRATS!! my first was a coastal python yearling too. If she has had a feed best to leave them for a couple days before handling them and if you just got her, i personally think it depends on the snakes attitude. if she was handled regularly by the previous owner and is used to handling then you should be right :) i handled mine everyday from the day i got her and have never had a bite or anything... she did act a bit flighty for the first 3 days but now she just rolls up and lies in my hair and shoulders!
Enjoy

My coastal snaps like a hatchie and he's two :pAnd he's my first reptile ever. I think he's just a slow maturer. He's incredibly sweet when he's out of the enclosure though and he never bites anyone but me XD I've had some nasty snaps though, when he latches on and doesn't let go hahahaha!! I hope to get a more placid python soon, lol.
Oh and she looks like a coastal in head shape and stuff, she's just got very different patterns to mine. She's exceptionally pretty :D

your carpet sounds like he wont be too much trouble if you moved his hide and it fell but he didn't strike, that is the worst rule about keeping snakes leave them for a week after purchase..... its good for the animals so has to be done but i have 2 new girls i got last night i want to play with them so bad... LOL

You said you bought a yearling yesterday, why is the photo dated 21/7/2007?
how is this snake still a yearling??

She'll be right, you probably just startled her.

Looks like a coastal to me. They have probably the most variation out of all Aussie carpets when it comes to colour and patterning.

.......Why buy first, and ask questions later? Should it not be the other way round - well at least if you are a responsible owner. . . .

Yes in an ideal world we all do things in the right sequence, occasionally someone does something on impulse so lets not judge and just offer practical advice !

You said you bought a yearling yesterday, why is the photo dated 21/7/2007?
how is this snake still a yearling??
Maybe the battery went flat and she didn't bother resetting the date stamp, ! !

Dont handle the snake until it is eating regularly (about 3 feeds), getting it eating properly is your first priority.
Leave the snake to settle in for a week before offering a feed. Once it has eaten dont disturb it for a couple of days while its digesting its meal.

a bite from a yearling will make you jump more than inflict any great pain, all bites seem to bleed pretty well and look a lot worse than they are.

How have you setup your enclosure ?
what temp is your basking spot and your cool end. if these arent right then it wont eat or if it does it wont be able to digest properly,
do you have a thermostat and thermometer set up ?

Maybe post a picture, its easier to offer help when the setup can be seen.

i have a 4 foot encloser it gets 32c, ive got two hide, small at heat end and big at the cool end, not sure about cool end. the date is wrong on my camera, sorry. i have fake grass bush. and a water bowl at the cool end. she is a yearling. ive given her vevert mice, she ate it sidewards. really quick. i think she might need the next size up. they said she will shed in two more weeks. ive been told so many things mostly good advise. so thanks when i get respones back i think i will leave her alittle while to let her digest.

. she is a yearling. ive given her vevert mice, she ate it sidewards. really quick. i think she might need the next size up.

Being a yearling she should be on something bigger than velvet mice. Hopper/Small rats at least.

I agree with upsizing, depending on the size of the snake of course but your saying it's taking the velvets sideways so it's to small, go for either small adult mice or equally sized rats, it would probably take weaner rats but don't jump that big in one hit, go up one size a feed until there's a decent size lump.
I'd up the temp a couple of degrees too, glass tanks don't hold heat I'd aim at 35

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back