Certified reptiles?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Five years ago I came up with the idea to issue a certificate / pedigree with every snake I pass onto a new owner. It was received with mix reaction; some threw it into a bin whilst others framed it. Over the time I thought maybe I have been wasting time with it but I persevered and kept issuing the cetrificates.

Two weeks ago, a person contacted me to verify the origins of a pair of GTPs that I supposedly bred in 2006. He was reluctant to give me the sellers name and details, so I was unable to track down the transaction. However, I advised him to ask the seller if the two snakes come accompanied with two of my certificates. I believe there was a silence after that.

Why am I bringing this up? Anyone with a black & gold carpet can claim it’s the Krauss line, or GTP Hemens line, etc. There is no real evidence that would lead to the original breeder or the founding animals.

Do you think it would be a good idea if more breeders adopted some sort of pedigree system? Not only pure line locality breeders but also morph breeders. If I was to buy a jag, albino. RP, jungle x diamond …. whatever morph, I would like to know the history on the snake and the names of people involved in such project.
What are your thoughts on that?

Last edited:
seems like a good idea, maybe each snake sold by a breeder should be sold with a pedigree tag/certificate, i definitely think it is a great idea because if you show people the certificate, they wont be like oh no it a yellow pastel, oh no it's a high red phase- you get the idea

i think it would be a good idea.
i think it will also help to slow down the flood of reptiles being bred by inexperienced breeders. Not that i am against breeding our animals but a flooded market is not good.

For those who care about who they buy from-or bred the animal YES its a fantastic idea.I realise some people that buy from Tom-Dick and Harry (no disrespect) dont really care who they buy from,BUT for those who care where the reptile came from-or who bred it,IMO i think its a top idea.If i brought a cheapie from a bloke at a pub for $500 and also one from a reputable breeder for $1000 whos to say that after 12months i can sell the "cheapie" to whoever and claim it came from the reputable breeder.But Yes Michael i think its a awesome idea...

I agree that a pet owner with no interest in breeding wouldn't care less about a certificate but the more discerning keepers may find some value in it.

I agree that a pet owner with no interest in breeding wouldn't care less about a certificate but the more discerning keepers may find some value in it.

As someone who is not interested in breeding but who would like to know the history of a snake I bought I would be in favour of a certificate .If it was coupled with an online database where i could backtrack the lineage -even better.
For me being able to buy a snake that is "true-to-type" and not a mix would be a factor in my choice of snakes in the future.

Last edited:
You might possible find it even more important in a few more years when Tom, Dick & Harry have been joined by Bob, Joe, Jonny & Fred, and there are even more dubious LINES out there. Also if chronic over-supply does produce a drop-off in availability then having a recognizable LINE will be of benefit to future breeders and owners.

Mick

I would be in favour of a certificate .If it was coupled with an online database where i could backtrack the lineage -even better.

Funny you mention that. My original idea (along with the certificates) was to set up a register of pure line aussie GTPs, where people could find other breeders with different blood-lines if they want to expand the gene pool in their collections. Unfortunately, the secrecy and politics surrounding the source of the original animals didn't provide a clean platform for this to eventuate.

I don't get it.What's to stop a breeder putting any info,true or false,they want on such a piece of paper?

Funny you mention that. ......... Unfortunately, the secrecy and politics surrounding the source of the original animals didn't provide a clean platform for this to eventuate.

That's OK, I am not after a GTP (for a while anyway). I will give you a list of the snakes I want in the future and you can set the database up for them....

I don't see what it will achieve? Unless you are planning to onsell your 'pedigree' animals? The orginal seller isn't going to give you certificates for any animals you breed from there line. Or am I missing something?

There is at least 1 other breeder/taker willing to supply certificate of locale with their animal. The certificate has a photo of the animal in question.
My question is, say after 10 years and the possibility that the snake has been on sold a couple of times, is the average Joe still going to be able to destinguish identifiable characteristics of a particular animal? And if he can't who's to say people won't sell inferior animals along with the certificate of another animal?

I don't see what it will achieve? Unless you are planning to onsell your 'pedigree' animals?
That's exactly what happened (opening post). Also if someone breeds from certified animals, they have something to back it up with. I know it wouldn't hold water with crooks, they can always add other hatchilngs into the clutch but decent breeders can start their own pedigrees and quote the information related to the original animals and the breeder.

As I said, it received a mix response 6 years ago and it seems nothing has changed. I will keep on issuing my certificates and it's the buyer's choice to throw it away or to keep it.

Thanks for your response.

Do you microchip your animals water rat? If the certificate system was coupled with an M/C system then it would be very effective and nearly holeproof, I like the idea of knowing where my snakes came from and I personally would hold value to such certification, even if it was from a Tom, Dick or Harry I still see the value in knowing lineage.
p.s
Krauss was not always jungle Krauss, he would've had to start somewhere as said Tom or perhaps Harry.........

"Tom, Dick & Harry have been joined by Bob, Joe, Jonny & Fred," they are all male names, have trouble
breeding with them.

I think the idea has merit, even though it would be difficult to substantiate the certifcate
after some time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back