How do you pronounce Cheynei?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saximus

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I guess the title speaks for itself. This is one that has bugged me since I got my boy a few years ago. Same as Bredli but have heard that one said a few times so I know how it is pronounced.
If anyone else has any weird names they wanna add feel free

Pronouncing scientific names is something I have trouble with also, metcalfei for example, haven't got a clue how to pronounce it correctly.

i thought it was chain e , there was the same thread a while ago up here if you search for it you might get more answers or just end up more confused as everybody says it differently :)

I did give you just a whisker of a bum steer. Based on my limited experience with Latin derivative languages, cheynei would in fact be pronounced CHay-nay-eye, but I anglicize it a bit and come up with chay-knee-eye.

metcalfei would be much the same with met-calf-ay-eye.

When a double 'i' is present, such as macquarii, you get mack-war-ee-eye.

This concludes todays lesson on Latin pronunciation! :D

And if it ends in an 'I' it was named after a Male Persron

If it ends in 'II' it was named after a female person. (this seems to work for places most of the time tho but not always eg pilbarensis.)

Laws of naming must follow this for latin naming.

I'm no language scholar, but there was a large period of time there where Latin as a spoken language didn't exist right? I was under the impression that the pronunciation of Latin words is all based on guess work anyway.

And if it ends in an 'I' it was named after a Male Persron

If it ends in 'II' it was named after a female person. (this seems to work for places most of the time tho but not always eg pilbarensis.)

Laws of naming must follow this for latin naming.

I thought 'ensis' was used for the namesake is a location, eg floresisensis, adelaidensis, papuensis etc.

I always pronounced cheynei shay-ni-I. But my favourite is Pseudonaja and naja.

I often debate with friends on the correct pronunciation of scientific names, I know a few people for example that say bred-lee-eye. even though there is only one I at the end. I have always said chay-knee-eye and bred-lie not bred-lee which I have also heard.

Just to confuse things..what about BHPs......Aspidites Melanocephalus...

I'm no language scholar, but there was a large period of time there where Latin as a spoken language didn't exist right? I was under the impression that the pronunciation of Latin words is all based on guess work anyway.

Latin is used because it is a 'dead' language.

Oh...and if it ends in 'sis' it is named after a place.

Just to confuse things..what about BHPs......Aspidites Melanocephalus...

Make sure you Genus has a capital and your species name always starts in lower case. Ohh...and you should always put latin in italics or underlined.

Anywhere else but on this forum I would be feeling like a bit of a git right now.

PS. try saying Cryptoblepharus plagiocephalus ten times fast

Last edited:
The i is pronouned as ee. Cheyne being a name and pronouce not as Latin but as the name which is quoted, literally Cheyne's Morelia spilota.

If you go an international conference and hear the different pronunciations of scientific names, you often don't know what the hack they're talking about. Most scientists from non-english speaking countries use the old Latin pronunciation. It's like a circus.

Commemorative names (eponyms):
Taxa may commemorate personal names or surnames such as Alice Eastwood's Daisy, Virginia's Warbler, and Wilson's Honeycreeper. These names are treated as latinized possessive nouns (Alice's = aliciae, Wilson's = wilsoni). The classical accent may be determined by the Latin form of the name. If Wilson were latinized as Wilsonius the pronunciation of wilsoni would be "wil-SO-nye." If Wilson were latinized as Wilsonus, the pronunciation of wilsoni would be "WIL-so-nye." Archival records indicate inconsistency in latinization of names, so some flexibility exists in pronunciation, and there is precedent in both classical and modern Latin for conservation. Thus "WIL-so-nye" (Rule 2c ) is preferable to "wil-SO-ni," whereas andersoni is best treated as "an-der-SO-ni" rather than "an-DER-so-ni."
aberti = "a-BER-tye" = Rule 2a
aliceae = "al-IS-ee-ee" = Rule 2c
calderi = "CALL-de-rye" = Rule 2c
hendersonii = "hen-der-SO-nee-eye" = Rule 2c
lewisii = "lew-ISS-ee-eye" = Rule 2c
virginiae = "vir-JIN-ee-ee" = Rule 2c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back