breeding morphs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
ok so a het is - co dominant
a "albino" is - dominant
and a normal is either
is that right?

You see what you have done Snakebag?!?!?!?

A het can be dominant, co-dominant or recessive. But don't worry about that jargon!

Think of it like this, this may or may not be technically correct but it makes it easier to remember. Genes come in pairs, heterozygous means that one half of that gene is different to the other, homozygous means that both halves of that gene is the same.

The stuff about co-dom blah blah has to do with how the gene is expressed not how it is carried.

ok i think this is leading to another facepalm
a visual het bred to a visual het turns the gene from co dominant to dominant?

ohk, i think i have a little knowledge now but i certainly need to do a few more hours reserch untill i fully understand

Don't worry about the word visual or the prefix co-. Just try to get the whole dominant-recessive-allele thing. Look up punnet square. Why did anyone have to mention co-dominance in the first place...

ok i think this is leading to another facepalm
a visual het bred to a visual het turns the gene from co dominant to dominant?

ohk, i think i have a little knowledge now but i certainly need to do a few more hours reserch untill i fully understand

No, breeding the morph does not change the way the gene is expressed. The homo or super form of a gene will produce a different looking animal if the gene is recessive or co-dominant.

iv been looking at a few punnet squares they are great for learning thanks sorry i have to go now

jesus_facepalm_facepalm_jesus_epic_demotivational_poster_1218659828_Facepalm_collection-s640x682-82175.jpg
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. this made mynight (bored at work)

ok i think im starting to get it. so a albino is a co-dominant gene but will override the het gene producing 50 50 ill do some more reseach but whenever i seach anything ball pythons and corn snakes always come up
mate get your hands on the Reptiles Australia VOL 3 ISSUE 4 on page 21 there is a chart that will help you its great for beginners.

Dominant genes are those which override others, co-dominant genes can both be represented in one organism. An animal can carry a recessive gene and show it if there are no genes to dominate it, this doesn't make the gene dominant. Liam, the easiest way to get the genotype/allele concept is by making a table with the parents' genes as the axes and combining the alleles. Examples of this are probably on the net.

So a co-dom gene could be the blue eye and brown eye gene in huskys, because huskys can have 1 blue and 1 brown, so its co-dom?

Will

So a co-dom gene could be the blue eye and brown eye gene in huskys, because huskys can have 1 blue and 1 brown, so its co-dom?

Good question, I'm not really sure how that one works. It can apply with people as well though and I think it's typically green and blue eyes, which migt be co-dominant. I'm pretty sure brown eyes are dominant in people. Really not sure though, might look into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back