How to Breed Rats................................

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Torah

Very Well-Known Member
Banned
Reaction score
Hi Guyz, so after having abit of trouble finding rats and mice to feed to my pythons , Im thinking I may start breeding them myself and eventually sell some to other ( mainly friends).
..........................So what Im after is as much info as I can get on keeping rodents , how to make sure they are safe to feed to my snakes ETC . Whats the best way to euthanize , how long they should be frozen for before feeding ( if any time at all ) .....and anything you think Ive left out !

I read a thread on here awhile back about a snake dying from bad food and I just cant handle the thought of selling/giving someones or my own snake bad food , appropriate enclosures for house them in and having something happen to them....How could I tell if the rat/mouse was diseased or anything.....???

Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated......

there was another huge thread on this info called rat breeding i think

There were several and quite comprehensive. Hit the search button Zeezza.

Zeezza, I will change the heading of your thread. If you like right down the bottom there should be like threads.

There are lots of people in the Illawarra reigon that breed rodents for reptile food.....

Hey Zeeza, I also have researched this and general response is, if you have the time..it is fairly easy. 3 females to 1 male combo seems to be the norm.
Youtube has some great 'How To' vids to get you going. There is also Euthanasia vids to assist you, on how to build etc.
APS threads also have some pretty good info.
Basically, take what you can from it and adapt your own way.
Another member, snakeitup, is a Rat Breeder and may have some handy advice for you. Hit him up.
- Adam

Some people breed them but are so booked out that they dont really want any more people but if you need a few i am sure they could help you out ;)

Hey Zeeza, I also have researched this and general response is, if you have the time..it is fairly easy. 3 females to 1 male combo seems to be the norm.
Youtube has some great 'How To' vids to get you going. There is also Euthanasia vids to assist you, on how to build etc.
Another member, snakeitup, is a Rat Breeder and may have some handy advice for you. Hit him up.
- Adam
yes i run the 3 females to 1 male ratio , i use starmaid 52lt tubs as its very clear to see through and the quality is great [ it dusnt feel like your going to break it when picking it up with decent weight in it].
the wire baskets are easy to make and mount [ i used thin fencing wire from bunnings]
i used a cheap soldering iron to make the round holes
heres some pics of my tubs [ they are old pics]
attachment.php

attachment.php

- Adam

Thank you , checking you tube now :)

You Just be carefull and beware the protective Mother Rat!!

HAY , THANX hadnt even thought about that I was given a mother rat and her 24 (is that alot????) babies yesterday , and she seems lovely she comes up to the tank with all babies hanging on and feeds out of my hand :) so stoked with that !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back