** URGENT** Donor Required

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually the snake would probably not need anti rejection drugs.

We learnt about this in orthopedics on Friday.

It is dead cortical bone so the body would start resorbing it an rebuilding with its own. This is different to bone marrow where u would have problems with rejection.

Infact there is a company in the US which sends cryogenically frozen dog bones which vet surgeons can then use to replace gaps in an alive dogs bone. It works and has been done many times. Thing is that it is done on partial bits of bone not replacing of the whole bone.

so in theory it could possibly work.

Good luck to the snake and the surgeon.

Let us know how it goes

Jonny

Jaw Replacement

Hi Toria,
Your request has certainly created a response!
I know there have been other vets reply but I would like to add a few points as a vet who sees a lot of reptiles:
1. I had a look at your photos and have been through all the posts but I cannot actually find anywhere that you have said what the diagnosis your vet has made. Have xrays been taken? Was this due to trauma? Are you dealing with osteomyelitis (infection in the bone) and if so has a culture been taken. Has a biopsy been taken. Oral adenocarcinoma (a malignant cancer of the mouth) is a common type of cancer I see in snakes.
2. I honestly cannot see how the proposed surgery is going to work functionly. As already mentioned in other posts there are many things that go against it - rejection, infection, immunosuppression etc. Not to mention the fact that the whole purpose of the surgery would be to try and return your snake to normal function - something I do really doubt will happen in this case. How are muscles going to reattached, nerve function returned etc.
3. To those people who have made comments about costs etc the bottom line is that is not your descision nor is it your vets! As veterinarians our job is to examine your animal, diagnose its problem, and give owners treatment options along with the costs involved. As owners you need to make the final decision on what you want to do.
4. Harvested bone can be used to treat cases where bone has been removed from legs of dogs that have cancer. It is a very complicated process that has some very real potential post-operative complications. Bottom line it would be unsuitable in this case.
5. Experimental surgery should never be discounted if the motives are right AND the animal's welfare is paramount. If there were not people out there pushing the envelope then much of the knowledge we know now would never have been discovered.
What would i do or advise in this case? The answer is I do not know because I don't have all the information I need.
Please let me know if I can be of any further help.
Regards
Shane

ok if this was you kid and the chance were all the same would you still go through with it

and i dont wont you to say but its not human
and its different

what im asking is would you go through it if it was you kid

coz i know a lot of people that carnt have kids and have pets as there kids

Would you want a sterilised monkey jaw stuck in your face which was almost certainly going to be rejected by your body after being put there by someone who had never performed similar surgery before? Knowing it was a virtual guarantee of a long, painful, drawn out death of infection and probably immune complicationss while your face rots away?

When I saw this on Herp Trader I thought it was a joke, but I now see it's serious. I don't think it's a realistic option, but if it goes ahead (to be honest, I hope it doesn't), best of luck and let us know what happens.

I had similar thoughts to others who have already posted and won't repeat the issues and virtually guaranteed complications this operation would/will involve.

Its all good peeps, after looking at the pros and cons we got out beautiful man put to sleep, not worth the suffering & it was impossibile due to the mechanics of python jaws. Vet was awesome btw. He was just exploring the possibility. i think perhaps i was hoping for a miracle but saw the reality of the situation fairly quick. Thanks for all your responses & comments. May Boston Rest in Peace <3

Bummer, but IMO you did the right thing. I can't believe a vet would even entertain an idea like that and give someone false hope....

hmmmmm, strange, I didn't notice the dates. ha. what has your snake been doing with it's dud jaw for the last 18 months?

I was reading the tread thinking each to thier own and noticed the dates and thought the same as olivehydra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back