For the computer whizzez out there!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That runs an onboard GPU. For roughly the same price you could get this Logical Blue One - Clevo Horize B5130 Notebook , though it's a 15 inch and not 17 inch but it's an i7 and dedicated 1gb GPU with same RAM and HD space. Plus you can customise for more RAM, HD space, Bluray etc while ordering. The GPU isn't top of the line, but a mile better than any onboard, and will do well for casual gaming.

Whatever you do don't go to JB Hifi or Harvey Norman. They have 100% mark up on just about everything. They'll also try to sell you complete rubbish that looks pretty but defunct. Like a Mac book.

Computer Alliance - I got my university laptop from them.
Umart - offers great advice, and a hell of a lot cheaper.

That runs an onboard GPU. For roughly the same price you could get this Logical Blue One - Clevo Horize B5130 Notebook , though it's a 15 inch and not 17 inch but it's an i7 and dedicated 1gb GPU with same RAM and HD space. Plus you can customise for more RAM, HD space, Bluray etc while ordering. The GPU isn't top of the line, but a mile better than any onboard, and will do well for casual gaming.

That's all true - but wouldn't you recommend an onboard with less customisable hardware so that it becomes 'easier' for a low level user that also suggests the price is 'what you get'?

I suggested it because of that - if you start customising you start getting into the thousands of dollars like the Alienware...

Sometimes it's just better to get what you're given.

Also just be aware that the larger the screen, the more difficult it is to carry around and the less battery time you have.

If uni is more important than the movies, go for a smaller screen.

That's all true - but wouldn't you recommend an onboard with less customisable hardware so that it becomes 'easier' for a low level user that also suggests the price is 'what you get'?

I suggested it because of that - if you start customising you start getting into the thousands of dollars like the Alienware...

Sometimes it's just better to get what you're given.

I wouldn't suggest an onboard when you can get a dedicated for same price. You don't have to customise anything on it, the dedicated GPU, i7, 4gb ram, 500gb HD is stock standard. Having a different graphics card doesn't require and different level of user, as he doesn't have to do anything different.

Sounds fair enough Khagan :) Go with their idea.

Make sure you buy a larger battery (ie 6 cell or larger if possible) especially if you're using a 17in... I have a 17in and it chews through the battery - but my Dell Latitude which i use at school has a 15in screen, but only a 4 cell battery and lasts about as long as the Alien when unplugged!!!

Okay, so let me get this straight. i7 is better then i5, don't buy in harvey norman jb-hifi or good guys, buy online, look for big RAM and big ghz speed thing, buy a big battery. Well any brands that I should stay away from? Or is it just personal preference? The laptop that Khagan posted a link off looks pretty good but I've never heard of that brand before. Is it reliable? Thanks so much for helping guys!

Haha bet you didn't think you'd get such in depth responses. i7 is still unnecessarily overpriced in my opinion. You should be fine with i5 for what you want but yes bigger GHz and big RAM mean faster :p. Brands aren't that big an issue any more for the actual computers since they all have basically the same components. You can always go into those stores and look and ask questions to find out what you want then get the same thing online.

Haha bet you didn't think you'd get such in depth responses. i7 is still unnecessarily overpriced in my opinion. You should be fine with i5 for what you want but yes bigger GHz and big RAM mean faster :p. Brands aren't that big an issue any more for the actual computers since they all have basically the same components. You can always go into those stores and look and ask questions to find out what you want then get the same thing online.

Yeah mate, never thought it was going to be this complicated mate. Haha. Exactly what I'm going to do. Check out the product and buy it online. Awesome idea!

i would say that dell are by far the best. Alienware if you have the cash.
on their website you can buy just a stock standard laptop, or that same laptop with upgraded whatever you want...
cheap as chips, lots of stuff included, free shipping, for $1500 with them you can get a very nice, fast, easy to use piece of gear !

Geeeeez! It's such a hard choice to think about! Really have to give this a lot of thought! haha laptop overload!

I wouldn't go to Harvey Norman, either The Good Guys or JB Hi-Fi as saximus suggested, as they are more negotiable.

Good luck mate.

amen!!!! i bought a hp pavilion elite with all the bells and whistles, $2300 "yeah mate this is the one to buy can't get much better than this" turns out it was a piece of crap and all i could get out of them was half price on a power board... Thats my story only, and others may be different... point is if you ask for advice at a retail store, chances are that if you have no knowledge of what you are buying they are gunna try to sell you the one that will benefit number 1....

Toshiba's are good, haven't heard a bad thing against them!

good luck

Get a Mac book pro, pretty simple. They are really good, fast and good graphics.

Get one

Ben

Get a Mac book pro, pretty simple. They are really good, fast and good graphics.

Get one

Ben

Did you factor in his price range..? You can get the same specs in a pc for half the price you'd pay for it in a mac lol.

That is true, I can't use a Mac. I don't think I want to learn how to either, I'm just not that interested in Macbooks. I was looking around in Harvey Norman and found Toshiba Satellite L650. What do you guys think? I was impressed with the 'i5' and speed and RAM and the 640gb hard drive. Anything similar to that one? It was 4GB and there's a bonus 4GB again so all up it's 8GB, 512 graphics card?

Cheers,
Nick

For that price mate you will be able to get a laptop that will do all of the above mentioned requirements and more...

Toshiba A660 - Intel Core i5 2.66GHz, 6GB Ram, 640GB HDD, 1GB Nvidia GeForce GT 330M Graphics, Windows 7 Premium, 15.6" Inch Screen Price: $1399.00

So in basic terms, it's quick, has a lot of storage space, and good graphics card for movies/games.

Also has 3x USB Ports, HDMI Port, DVD Player/Burner & Webcam

add 1 vote for this, i swear by toshiba laptops, have always had them,

i bought an acer for my parents.... never again, never...
hinges broke,

I do have one Toshiba horror story - but I won't put in the mix - because it's partly my GFs fault... Which now makes it a Harvey Norman's horror story... But unfortunately my GF didn't act on it and now her Toshiba is dead an out of warranty. Not even useful as a paper weight!

I own two Dells - one is an Alienware admittedly (and over priced, but I got a very good teacher deal and salary sacrifice - so it was very very cheap in the end) and both are absolutely awesome... The Latitude literally works 7 - 7 every single day of the teaching year.... gets moved class to class... Goes wireless and wired... Movies and powerpoint... Word and photoshop... all run perfectly off the i5 and 4GB of ram....

If I was to buy again, I'd go 17in screen, 9 cell battery, and make sure my keyboard has a numeric keypad on the right!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back