Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

drake84

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I decided to get my new snake out for his first handling session... I had decided to use that hand sock technique thing I saw on this forum somewhere and it just didn't work.

I got him out with a snake hook to make it less stressful and put him on my "gloved" hand but he was not positioned properly and I was a little shaky so I started to lower my hand in case he fell off and he did fall off. Luckily he fell about 5-10cm into a loose pile of shredded paper I gave him to burrow in, but I decided to try get him again resulting in him running away (probably stressed) and a little chase before I decided to give up. Basically I think I just scared the cr@p out of my snake and am really upset (for him.)

I don't know what to do, I think after this disastrous first attempt I will be even more nervous next time that I will stuff up again... I am not overly scared of being bitten, moreso my reaction if bitten, the last thing I want to do is flinch and hurt him. Can anyone help me out with some pointers? I have read this forum to death but it's different when it's your snake (my first BTW in case that wasn't obvious :) .) I am going to leave it a couple of days to let him recover from it... A good thing I suppose was that he never showed any signs of aggression or anything, but I don't want him to be terrified of me any more than he probably already was. Do you think I should ditch the hand sock/sack thing? I have attached a picture of it to give you an idea exactly what it is.

Attachments

• 175098_10150147631130119_624755118_8645950_5669331_o.jpg
    175098_10150147631130119_624755118_8645950_5669331_o.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 156
Ditch it. You cannot possibly hold a snake with that on your hand without it falling off... Why are you using it anyway? Are you that scared of a bite?

It might be easier for you to not use the sock glove thing, it looks a bit slippery so maybe it would be easier if you just bare hands when handling him.

I know how you feel though I got my first snake about 6 months ago and i was a little worried about getting bitten or hurting him.. Im sure he will forgive you ;)

what sort of snake? and what size? I'm guessing a hatchy
Just use your hand mate, after washing or using F10, repti hand...
just scoop the up, and gives the little guy something to cling to and coild around. I try to avoid the hook, only use it on my jungle cos he bites until he's well out of the enclosure.

Keep on trying, the nervousness will subside, and it will hopefully become much easier for you and ur snake

Ditch the hand sock thing. If he doesn't appear to want to bite you and you aren't afraid of him you don't need it.
Just persevere and you should be fine. Hold him on the hook and let him come to your hand on his own terms. He will learn you are nothing to be afraid of in time

Ditch it. You cannot possibly hold a snake with that on your hand without it falling off... Why are you using it anyway? Are you that scared of a bite?

I am trying to find the thread, it was some herping place that did it and recommended it... I am not scared for pain reasons, as I said more cause I am scared that if I flinch he will go flying across the room :(

please excuse my crap typing there...... should get in the habit of proof reading haha

I would ditch the glove that you have made yourself. I think the glove thing that people may use is an old sock. How old is your snake and what breed is it. If it is only a baby and does happen to bite you it will be that quick that you most likely won't have time to react to it. I know what you mean about not wanting to hurt them by pulling away if it does bite but you can hurt them alot more if you drop them off a slippery ill fitting glove.

If he's on your hand and you flinch you won't throw him. I know I've done it. The person you're referring to is probably Longqi. He seems to be one of the only people who uses it. For some reason he is against hooks. If you are using a hook you don't need it

Go bare hands. Theres only 2 ways to get over your 'fear'. 1) You handle the snake and don't get bitten and realise you were worrying over nothing or 2) You just get bitten and then get used to it and you don't flinch.

Just remember, keep calm, no sudden movements, support it so it feels safe and not gonna fall, let it glide through your hands and things will be fine.

What the heck are you doing using a bag over your hand??

First off loose the bag it's not a great idea at all,

Get the snake out using a hook & gauge his response.

Chances are if he's not striking he's not likely to be overly aggressive.

If you want to hold the snake do it...bare handed!

If he bites it's not the end off the world & if you want to keep snakes

it's something you need deal with & loose the fear of.

Most snakes only tolerate being handled & if your lucky & get a placid snake,

then keep up with socializing with it & over time you'll be less & less worried about the whole thing.

Some tips would be don't wait to handle too long after a feed (as it might have a strong feeding response)

Don't handle it if it's coming into shed (as they're more vulnerable at that point)

Good luck with it!

ohhh man
lol i know exactly how u feel..........
i just attempted to get my bredli out of his inclosure for his second feed( in my care)
it was a disaster!!!!!!!!!
she was quite snappy..
but in the end she fed well.
hopefully my skills with her will get better.

Ok, I am definitely ditching the sock/sack...

I think maybe next time (after I leave it a couple of days) I will have a couple of beers beforehand to calm my nerves and just go for gold... Maybe I should prepare myself to get bitten so that if it happens, hopefully I wont flinch too bad. He didn't seem aggressive at all so I should hopefully be alright if I just man up :)

Thank you all for you help, and for not chastising me for being a complete noob :)

He is using it because of this http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/pets-curiousities-handling-tips-154260/
I must admit when I read that I thought it sounded a bit awkward.
I think perhaps you better ditch the glove.
Maybe your snake fell off cos he was laughing at your hands?
Sorry couldn't help myself : )

Yes, that was the thread... Cheers. Obviously didn't work for me, I think bare hands are best, probably warmer and more comfortable for the snake too.

Last edited:
Haha no reason to chastise you. You were only going off info you read on here. You haven't said what species it is. From your avatar I'd guess Woma though? I hear they aren't very aggressive (unless you smell like food) so you should be fine

Haha no reason to chastise you. You were only going off info you read on here. You haven't said what species it is. From your avatar I'd guess Woma though? I hear they aren't very aggressive (unless you smell like food) so you should be fine

Ah yeah sorry, he's a Woma... just over 3 months old... Definitely more timid towards the end there than aggressive. I just feel so bad for him. I would hate to be chased around by someone 10 times my size!

couple of reasons.
im usin repti bark and i dont want her to eat any with her food.
also so that when u put ur hand in the enclosure its first instinct isnt FOOD!

couple of reasons.
im usin repti bark and i dont want her to eat any with her food.
also so that when u put ur hand in the enclosure its first instinct isnt FOOD!

Another poor soul that doesnt understand snake behaviour.
The whole feed in a seperate tub thing is the biggest load of BS that keep getting perpetuated on this site by those that know no better!

so that when u put ur hand in the enclosure its first instinct isnt FOOD!

That logic is quite flawed, because if it thought that way, then it would associate being picked up as food as well. Besides, you're more likely to cop a feeding response bite transferring it back to it's enclosure after it's fed.. Unless you smell like a mouse/rat (Which i hope not) it wont think "FOOD!" when you stick your hand in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back