Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
He has done his research which is how he heard of using the glove, he tried it and it didn't work out, now he knows. There are so many differing opinions when it comes to snakes. There's always someone who has to throw in their 2 cents of unconstructive feedback e.g. telling him to "buy a goldfish"

Here Here!
My god its not opinions it is as said above nonconstructive feedback. If you can't help why bother typing. I also don't understand all this noob stuff about owning snakes. We all started somewhere. I have owned snakes for going on four years and I still consider myslef a noob because you can never know everything. Would be nice to read a thread where everyone who replied just gave constructive criticism. My husband needed the cotton gloves to start with. Within a few times of handling he was confident to handle without gloves and now holds all my snakes no worries. Call him a pussy or what you will but it worked even if mind over matter. I would not change what we did at all. If that's what it takes to make an owner of a snake feel confident to begin with why is it a bad thing.

Wow! They do inspections in ACT do they? That's good! Here in QLD they just give licenses away for $80 or whatever it was. I am pretty confident now to ditch the glove so I will try again on Saturday if I have time, if not on Sunday. I will definitely let everyone know how it does :) Normally I wouldn't let Jamie and the likes get to me, I was somewhat expecting it; but I was super tired this morning and a little cranky after a cr@p commute to work :)

$68.50 with logbook and licence

Last edited:
Most of us have been in the same position I use a sock.Some even have striked out at me let go and fallen on to the floor there tough little buggers just leave it alone for a week or so good luck

Its all a learning experience & I used to worry how my reaction would be too but funnily enough when it happens you really don't get a chance to react and then it doesn't really bother you to be tagged again. Have some confidence in yourself and you should be fine, you obviously have your snake's best interests at heart and that instinct will automatically take over if bitten anyway. Also hooks are a great idea!

Thanks for all your help guys! I just got him out and everything ran smoothly. I have ditched the sock/sack and he was absolutely fine! I didn't handle him long, it was more a "get to know you" kind of thing. I am actually a little upset that I didn't get tagged so I could get it out of the way but I'm sure that will happen in time :) But I am glad that I was able to suck it up (and a couple of beers) and have a good handling experience with him after last time.

You may never get tagged by him, I've only ever really had one that used to do it, the others have never attempted too. Good work on getting him out, you'll soon learn from each other :)

Oh for crying out loud!!! For those critics of me and 73, my comment wasn't related to Drake84 being a 'noob'... it was related to the fact that this 'noob' had got to the point of having his new animal in his home and DID NOT EVEN KNOW HOW TO PICK IT UP, seemingly hadn't even done the most basic stuff on handling... For goodness sake, even the most subjective reader of this thread should think *******!!!

J

infinite handling a python is something u learn with experience.
no one ever starts off knowing how to handle snakes, they may have a few pointers but they still arent masters of it.
i was just commenting on how instead of correcting drake with something constructive u went straight into saying how little he knows.
im sure he knows a ton about his snake but reading a snake and handling are things u do learn in time.

infinite handling a python is something u learn with experience.
no one ever starts off knowing how to handle snakes, they may have a few pointers but they still arent masters of it.
i was just commenting on how instead of correcting drake with something constructive u went straight into saying how little he knows.
im sure he knows a ton about his snake but reading a snake and handling are things u do learn in time.

No... what you do, when you choose your python, is talk to the breeder and get the breeder to spend half an hour talking you through the basics, and handling is probably THE most basic requirement for a new keeper. This should also apply if you buy from a petshop. If you are having the snake delivered, BEFORE you take delivery, you find someone nearby (even ask here...) to show you the ropes. Not to do this PRIOR to getting your animal is irresponsible... it's like the dog that eventually catches the car... and thinks... now I've got it, what do I do with it? Success in reptile keeping is just the same as many other ventures... planning ahead will prevent many potential problems.

I agree that experience makes a difference, and no one expects Drake to be a master snake handler in the early days of owning his first animal. I was not pointing out how little he knows, because we all have to start somewhere, I was making the point that he put the cart before the horse (and he's not unique in that - I've done it myself on many occasions).

If aspiring snake keepers read this thread, hopefully what they will get out of it will be the notion that snake ownership is not just a matter of getting your new animal into your home, but there are some fundamental requirements that all animal keepers need to know BEFORE they get their animal - correct handling techniques and confidence are essential for the wellbeing of your animals. It's as basic as that.

Now, hopefully, Drake will progress in confidence and knowledge, and snake and keeper will find a good balance.

Jamie

Thanks for all your help guys! I just got him out and everything ran smoothly. I have ditched the sock/sack and he was absolutely fine! I didn't handle him long, it was more a "get to know you" kind of thing. I am actually a little upset that I didn't get tagged so I could get it out of the way but I'm sure that will happen in time :) But I am glad that I was able to suck it up (and a couple of beers) and have a good handling experience with him after last time.

Good work! Just make sure your dutch courage doesn't limit your ability to safely handle your little charge.

No... what you do, when you choose your python, is talk to the breeder and get the breeder to spend half an hour talking you through the basics, and handling is probably THE most basic requirement for a new keeper. This should also apply if you buy from a petshop. If you are having the snake delivered, BEFORE you take delivery, you find someone nearby (even ask here...) to show you the ropes. Not to do this PRIOR to getting your animal is irresponsible... it's like the dog that eventually catches the car... and thinks... now I've got it, what do I do with it? Success in reptile keeping is just the same as many other ventures... planning ahead will prevent many potential problems.

I agree that experience makes a difference, and no one expects Drake to be a master snake handler in the early days of owning his first animal. I was not pointing out how little he knows, because we all have to start somewhere, I was making the point that he put the cart before the horse (and he's not unique in that - I've done it myself on many occasions).

If aspiring snake keepers read this thread, hopefully what they will get out of it will be the notion that snake ownership is not just a matter of getting your new animal into your home, but there are some fundamental requirements that all animal keepers need to know BEFORE they get their animal - correct handling techniques and confidence are essential for the wellbeing of your animals. It's as basic as that.

Now, hopefully, Drake will progress in confidence and knowledge, and snake and keeper will find a good balance.

Jamie

Agreed.
This sort of thing is very common, in the haste to get the snake the basics
are quite often over looked.

We spend a lot of time with first timers to try and ensure this sort of thing doesnt happen, after all its the snakes welfare at stake!

Last edited:
I get sorin out with a handcloth on my hand but it's got good grip. I don't strictly need to, but I don't liek being bitten that much and he has bitten and not let go before. That's not cool. It's not normal that they don't just snap once and let go and generally he should be fine after a nice wander outside on your hands or shoulders. Sorin likes my bed ;D

Maybe do some research,im not bigheaded and i dont winch about a little bite.Did you ever think the snake wouldve been scared to death seeing that big glove coming towards them.I wouldve biten you too.It doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure they can only bite,considering they dont have arms-legs.Everyone is welcome to there opionion,well i just gave mine..

To a snake who probably doesn’t know one human appendage to another? No, the thought didn’t occur to me that it would be any scarier than would a hand.

If he bites you, you won't die at least cos there's no venom :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back