Corn snakes...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakeluvver

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
This was just a thought that just struck me.
I know that here in qld you can catch Asian house geckos and cane toads and keep them, as long as you don't re-release or breed them. This makes sense as it's one less cane toad or gecko in the wild.
But I was thinking, if you can do this with those species, wouldn't it be the same with if you found a corn snake?
Please don't flame me for this, but if you think about it it makes sense...

This is a question that you need to ask your EPA Department.

:cry:eek:h well still doesn't help me here in tas there isnt even aus pythons let alone exotics

No it wouldn't be allowed.I can see it now if it were though every man and his dog who has a corn snake would be claiming they found it,along with every other exotic that is available here.

The reason DERM didn't reply is because it's not their jurisdiction. DERM control native animals, and Corn Snakes aren't native.

You need to talk to DPI, but I can tell you now that it's not possible.

snakeluvver does have a bit of a point we keep exotic birds that just fly off into or native population !!I f they can regulate birds why not reptiles to a certain extent - non venomous only Just a thought I dont believe in the keeping of exotics as our pythons are just as nice in there own ways

there was a funny point put across at a recent BBQ I attended ......

if Non native Eclectus parents are now not on licence in victoria because there deemed to be exotic birds , then why are Non Native green tree pythons still on a licensing system ?

I think if it was allowed people would still find 2 breed them "accidentally" then "loose" them In people backyards. why not make a new class for exotics and have them. why not have a separate license and still make it illegal to import them. that way people can keep them no new ones get brought into the country. just allow people that have them to be honest about them

I would love some exotic snakes... Lol
And snakelady-viper, you're right. We can keep exotic birds, fish and mammals yet we can't have reptiles. And what about axolotls? They're exotic.

No it wouldn't be allowed.I can see it now if it were though every man and his dog who has a corn snake would be claiming they found it,along with every other exotic that is available here.

good point :|

we cant keep axolotls in tas :(

oh and also they wont even let cockatoos and galahs into tas or lorikets

I think if it was allowed people would still find 2 breed them "accidentally" then "loose" them In people backyards. why not make a new class for exotics and have them. why not have a separate license and still make it illegal to import them. that way people can keep them no new ones get brought into the country. just allow people that have them to be honest about them

Yes and people WILL be honest.
I hear down here most school kids own a corn snake and think nothing of it.
Anyway these arguments have been done to death and it will never be allowed, bit like flogging a dead horse.

What I find laughable here in QLD is that there might be up to a dozen wild rabbits hopping around the back paddock but it's still still against the law to keep them..

Rabbits | Primary industries & fisheries | Queensland Government

Queensland DPI info on Corn Snakes..

American corn snake | Primary industries & fisheries | Queensland Government

Quote:
The American corn snake (Elaphe guttata) is a Class 1 declared pest animal in Queensland. Class 1 pests established in Queensland are subject to eradication from the state. It is a serious offence to introduce, keep or supply a Class 1 pest without a permit issued by Biosecurity Queensland. Penalties of up to $80 000 apply.

And further light reading...

American Corn Snake Risk Assessment.
American corn snake risk assessment | Primary industries & fisheries | Queensland Government

A high risk posed by corn snakes would not surprise me in Queensland. QLD is, after all, mostly tropical and subtropical, and the climate match for corn snakes, at least along the coastal areas, is either at or close to 100%.

NSW, Victoria, TAS, it would be different, but I'd say North Coast NSW would have issues with feral corns if they were to become established.

i was under the impression it was very illegal to keep cane toads?

i know its illegal to keep other pest species like many fish and mammals, assume its the same for toads

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back