Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But while in the public arena that risk should be cut back to the bare minimum so the public is not at risk of being traumatized by witnessing a bite.
Using Steve Irwin as example again. He was bitten on the neck by an olive moments after telling the presenter that the snake would not bite him. Imagine if this had been a highly venomous Elapid

But while in the public arena that risk should be cut back to the bare minimum so the public is not at risk of being traumatized by witnessing a bite.
Using Steve Irwin as example again. He was bitten on the neck by an olive moments after telling the presenter that the snake would not bite him. Imagine if this had been a highly venomous Elapid

Yeah, true that. It can happen. Whats more, it would be seriously embarassing. I remember getting nicely tagged on the face by a big SWCP when demonstrating the snake was calm, placid and would make a great family pet!! It was not a bitey snake: it was just having an off day.

With regard to the Steve imitations, I would not have thought tooooo many people would go jump on a croc just cause steve did? But I could be wrong.....how was that idiot in broome!!

And yes he is dead now but that is not really a relevant point. He got done by a stingray...something he was probably not experienced with. It was a 1:1000000 chance encounter.

Yeah, true that. It can happen. Whats more, it would be seriously embarassing. I remember getting nicely tagged on the face by a big SWCP when demonstrating the snake was calm, placid and would make a great family pet!! It was not a bitey snake: it was just having an off day.

With regard to the Steve imitations, I would not have thought tooooo many people would go jump on a croc just cause steve did? But I could be wrong.....how was that idiot in broome!!

And yes he is dead now but that is not really a relevant point. He got done by a stingray...something he was probably not experienced with. It was a 1:1000000 chance encounter.

Like i said, unless you live where crocs are found your comments can't count for awful lot.

I'm with Gordo, never underestimate the stupidity of the average human! We once had a supposedly well known documentary maker come to Wyndham (East Kimberley) to film large Salties from an old shark cage. Needless to say, all the locals and experienced people from the croc farm warned him against it. So he jumps in the cage, full of donkey meat, with a camera, in coffee coloured water at the "blood drain" on the incomming tide!! Predictable outcome, and he was lucky to escape with his life. Still, beter than what was on the box that night:)!!

I'm with Gordo, never underestimate the stupidity of the average human! We once had a supposedly well known documentary maker come to Wyndham (East Kimberley) to film large Salties from an old shark cage. Needless to say, all the locals and experienced people from the croc farm warned him against it. So he jumps in the cage, full of donkey meat, with a camera, in coffee coloured water at the "blood drain" on the incomming tide!! Predictable outcome, and he was lucky to escape with his life. Still, beter than what was on the box that night:)!!

I think i saw that footage. He was also a pig hunter wasn't he?

I think i saw that footage. He was also a pig hunter wasn't he?

I can't confirm the pig hunter, but the footage (to everyone's suprise) was shown on national television. A few blurred shots of eyes, jaws, teeth and metal being ripped apart and his dramatic escape through the top of the trap. Luckily, for him, the croc went straight for the Donkey meat. I think he thought they were just going to circle like sharks, but the whole filming event lasted no more than a few minutes. Funnily enough, no one would shout him a beer in the pub afterwards! Unfriendly lot:)!!

Hahaha, i'll have to look for this footage. It sounds a little different to the one i saw. The one i'm thinking of was filmed int he 70's i think.

If you find it can you PLEASE post the link- I would love to see that!!!

The only reference I can find is an attempt by David Ireland, who spent 11 NIGHTS (???) in a cage in the Blood Drain , again, testimony to the stupidity of our species! His cage seems more substantial than the one I remember (which was on display at Wyndham croc farm for a time) and was attached by steel cable to an old warf crane (which is how they rescued him). Do a google search for David Ireland and Blood Drain. It appears this was not his only attempt, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back