How to prepare cane toads as food?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cris

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
Just wondering what processing is required to safely prepare a cane toad to feed to animals that arnt resistant to their toxins? Apart from removal of the parotoid gland and precautionary freezing to reduce risk of disease transfer.

Last edited:
place in microwave for 3 mins on high.
when it explosed, clean it up and put it in the bin,
then feed a rat to you snake

What about feeding a Cane Toad to a Keelback?

From what I understand they secrete venom from glands all over their body so not sure if it can be done. Even if it could, it wouldn't be worth the risk from my perspective.

Birds tend to roll the toad over and peck out their insides from their tummy, they're not interested in any other part of the body.

Toads are of course poisonous in every developmental stage in their life cycle and therefore are not recommended to be consumed.

However, their hind legs are apparently free of the toxin and would be considered the safest part - but to feed to a snake, regardless of their level of resistance would not be recommended IMO.

Though Cris - if you've read something somewhere - please let us know, I am sure I can find around 30,000 toads to put in my freezer seein as I live only 5km from their release site in Gordonvale!

Last edited:
your risking your snakes, lizards or frogs live, what ever your feeding it to, there is noway to be completely sure that all the venom/toxins have been removed, I WOULDN'T RISK IT!!

I really wonder why people come in here asking questions like this.
I mean, it isn't going to cull the toad population, giving one to your snake/s each week, is it?
How hard and expensive is it to buy a rat for your snake? Or a Chick or quail?
Why do people risk their health of their herps to save a couple of dollars?
If frozen mice were $100 each I would still use them before risking my snakes with parasite-infested vermin as a food source!

keel backs can eat the tadpoles and small toads but im pretty sure they are the only Australian reptile that can do so...
Feeding it so a reptile hmmm i dont think so...

i'm led to believe that yes keelbacks can eat the toads and not die, but they are so crap they don't try eating them again...

Even Keelbacks die after consistently feeding on Cane Toads. They can't eat them all the time.

J

Just wondering what processing is required to safely prepare a cane toad to feed to animals that arnt resistant to their toxins? Apart from removal of the parotoid gland and precautionary freezing to reduce risk of disease transfer.

hook, line n sinker...... well done!~

Not really a joke thread, i usually just cut off there top part below the paratoid gland and feed them to my saw shell turtles. just wondering if they are useful to feed to other animals? I have heard they are trying to train quolls by feednig the legs with added chemical deterant so they cant be to dangerous. If you skinned them i would have thought they would be pretty safe to use as food, if not why not?

Not really a joke thread, i usually just cut off there top part below the paratoid gland and feed them to my saw shell turtles. just wondering if they are useful to feed to other animals? I have heard they are trying to train quolls by feednig the legs with added chemical deterant so they cant be to dangerous. If you skinned them i would have thought they would be pretty safe to use as food, if not why not?

guts as bait...

Legs are fine - and Quoll School was on a Catalyst show last year:

http://mpegmedia.abc.net.au/tv/catalyst/catalyst_10_11_17.mp4 (the quoll school episode)

i'm led to believe that yes keelbacks can eat the toads and not die, but they are so crap they don't try eating them again...

Where's your coming from, I have fed mine toad tadpoles and toadlets on many ocassions with no ill effects.

I should also state, not as a continuing diet, on the rare occassion.

I mean, it isn't going to cull the toad population, giving one to your snake/s each week, is it? At what point did he suggest it would?
How hard and expensive is it to buy a rat for your snake? Or a Chick or quail?
Why do people risk their health of their herps to save a couple of dollars? Money was never mentioned.... Where did that come from?
If frozen mice were $100 each I would still use them before risking my snakes with parasite-infested vermin as a food source! You have more money than sense then because I'd breed my own for close to nothing rather than buy them for $100;)

Probably not recommended cris. Guess you gotta start throwing in the big bucks for feed :lol:

[video=youtube;-U8wO1blBuo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U8wO1blBuo[/video]

if in doubt, ask rob bredl

in this video he prepares several animals for human consumption, altho for snakes, you would just minus the cooking bit

Hey cris, I used to be on this crazy American Airgun site and posted up some pics of Toads, well a couple of blokes posted back and said they eat the legs all the time. i think they were serious too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back