bug spray?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AshMan

Reaction score
hey guys, might be a stupid question and im asking it more for my own peace of mind then anything else but i HATE it when people use bug spray in my house. if someone uses it im terrified that i'll have abit on my clothes and it will kill one of my snakes or lizards (i just get paranoid about strange things) and although none has ever been used in the same room as my animals, my brother has been spraying alot in his room, which is close to mine! i just wondered how dangerous insect killer could be to my reptiles? if even dangerous at all? Thanks everyone.

Anyone? even if its just info i can show my family to get them to stop using it? or just something to put my mind at ease?

Last edited:
avoiding it would definitively be advisable...having it sprayed in a different room is better than in yours but it's not ideal by any means! so your concern is warranted!
I can't remember the exact biology/chemistry of why (exact toxins etc) but it is written on the site somewhere! sorry I can't be of more help too you...long day...brain is fried!

yeah, i thought so. everyone gets all up at me if i moan about it saying "dont be so stupid, stop worrying they'll be fine" and it drives me nuts. im gonna go throw all the bug spray away and chuck it out everytime they buy more! whats wrong with a fly swat or a pice of tissue?

anyone else? i moan at my family everytime it happens but this is usually just met with hostility and never any sign of them considering what im trying to tell them. some info that i could show them on the effects would be really useful, or stories? it may not even be harmful, in which case, id like to know so that i can just shut up about it lol.

well, a guy at work came in the other day and said both his fish mysteriously died, i asked if he'd sprayed insect spray and he said, oh, actually, yes, but that was in the kitchen,...but the conclusion was that yes the spray killed them.

so i would assume the spray would be diluted, but would still make it into ur room,....

id flip if anyone sprayed sprays in my house, my bf used to buy them and id put them straight in the bin, he wasted about $50 on binned sprays before he learnt to take me seriously. im so paranoid we have a deoderant bathroom, the only room deoderant is allowed to be sprayed in,....that the animals never go near.

whats he spraying for?
most insects are kept out by flyscreens, and if its for roaches tell him theres a paste called max force roach gel available at some hardwares that works a hell of alot better than any of the commercial sprays.

from what i have read. Aerosol sprays leave a residue where ever they are sprayed. So aslong as u was ur hands before u touch ur snakes it wont be a problem. but in saying that i dont have any insecticides in my house, last time i took my pup for a check up the vet said insecticides werent a good idea. So not good for the dog aint good for the snakes.

He was spraying for ants. Unfortunatly our insect screens dont seem to work too well and ants still manage to get along the sides and in. My brother suffers from a terrible phobia of all things flying and whenever one manages to enter his bedroom he will use as much as possible and it stinks the whole house out. I have just had a word with my dad who claims its "ok because he was doing it in the kitchen which is a fair distance from my bedroom" my reply to this was "but i have to get all their water from there and use that side to prepair veg for the skinks" i was told i was being paranoid. Thanks for the help guys but i dont seem to be getting through unfortunatly. I always wash my hands before any sort of contact with my reptiles and my bedroom door stays shut and atleast one window is always open so im sure my herps are getting enough ventilation to be ok. Maybe someday they'll listen...

Or one of these?

Colorful-Water-Ball-ZORB-.jpg
pencil.png

i dont think it will harm them. I kept alot of insects and all my young pythons inside at my last place, the room they were in was right next to the kitchen with no door separating them, just an open passage. Fly spray was regular used in the kitchen which was about 5m away from where the insects and herps were housed and never had a problem, it didnt affect insects so i cant see it doing much harm to reptiles

LOL, you could just be onto something there. i think if we told my brother there would be no way for winged insects to reach him inside he'd probably live in it for the rest of his life!!

i dont think it will harm them. I kept alot of insects and all my young pythons inside at my last place, the room they were in was right next to the kitchen with no door separating them, just an open passage. Fly spray was regular used in the kitchen which was about 5m away from where the insects and herps were housed and never had a problem, it didnt affect insects so i cant see it doing much harm to reptiles

And thanks hornet, that has made me feel alot better lol! will have to remeber that next time i have a paranoid freak-out over the use of bug spray in my house lol. how are those green tree snakes of yours doing btw? i really want to get into coloubrids but probably wont be able too till sometime next year unfortunatly due to funds and space requirments lol

That water ball is a most amusing, yet fanstical idea.
As for the ants. Get sticky tape, get strips and make a mat out of it sticky side up, much like fly-paper.
It could work, for all I know.

Insect repellent and fly sprays are banned at my place. It's just not worth the risk spraying that crap around....not to mention even potentially dangerous for to humans in some degree or another.

Insect repellent and fly sprays are banned at my place. It's just not worth the risk spraying that crap around....not to mention even potentially dangerous for to humans in some degree or another.

as much as id love to ban them, being only 16, i dont get much in the way of authority lol

everytime someone sprays an insect grab the can and spray them, then tell them they just basically did that to your snake!

sounds like fun but i dont think it would be a good idea. somehow i feel spraying my family members with toxic substances may come back on me in the future in some way or another...

ok then, turn off the power to your house at around 2 am. go around and turn all the light switches on and turn all the radios/cd players on. i am sure you have something along the lines of finntroll or slayer etc etc. then once all the switches are turned on and all the audio equipment is turned up to 11, at around 4 am turn the power to the house back on and give the whole family a rude wake up call. tell them it continues till the spray goes! :p

haha, that also sounds like lot of fun but im pretty sure its not even worth thinking about the consequences lol :S :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back