Build Enclosure - Correct material to use

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Delete-me

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

In pursuit of self satisfaction, my brother and I are going to build our own enclosure for our BHP.

Just would like to know people’s thoughts on the type of timber, other materials to use.
I heard on the grape vine some chemicals in woods like pine can be detrimental to BHP’s health. Can anyone confirm please?

Cheers
Dan

I use 16mm Plywood or 16mm Melamine. Never had an issue, just dont use treated pine!

Last edited:
Yeah mine are melamine and always been great. People say it rots when it gets wet but never seen this myself. Nice work on having a go at building your own. The satisfaction you get is a real high.
Never heard of the chemical thing but if you properly coat/treat whatever you use it should be fine

If you build it out of HMR Melamine, and seal all the joints inside, it should last your an aweful long time. Some of mine are over 10yrs old and are still going strong.

i yous white melamine just look at the edges if its got a green colour thats the one i yous. while i was working at a kitchen place they told me the green in the bored is a water resistant glue that can basically handle more moisture that normal dont worry you cant see the green when the cage is finished

I also seal my tanks with silicon in my tanks, keeps moisture/turds/smelly stuff out. Make sure you give it time to cure and also don't buy a cheapo one, try to find one with low odour as well.

What about pine/cypress ? or other timbers i think it will look a lot nicer in my house...is this stuff about wood being toxic true?

Yeah mine are melamine and always been great. People say it rots when it gets wet but never seen this myself. Nice work on having a go at building your own. The satisfaction you get is a real high.
Never heard of the chemical thing but if you properly coat/treat whatever you use it should be fine

It doesn't rot straigh away, but the problem with MDF is that if water manages to penetrate past the protective layer (paint/sealer) the fibres act like a wick and the water is drawn into the board. The water then makes the MDF material expand and you end up with "blisters". Eventually the board will grow in size (upto 3x times the thickness or more) and the board is destroyed. MDF is fine to use if you can garuantee no water can penetrate.

Pine trees and other trees with oily saps can cause irritation and are not necessarily deadly to the animals housed within. The problem is when you don't seal the surfaces where animals are in contact with it. I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of making an enclosure, and never seal it.

It doesn't rot straigh away, but the problem with MDF is that if water manages to penetrate past the protective layer (paint/sealer) the fibres act like a wick and the water is drawn into the board. The water then makes the MDF material expand and you end up with "blisters". Eventually the board will grow in size (upto 3x times the thickness or more) and the board is destroyed. MDF is fine to use if you can garuantee no water can penetrate.

Pine trees and other trees with oily saps can cause irritation and are not necessarily deadly to the animals housed within. The problem is when you don't seal the surfaces where animals are in contact with it. I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of making an enclosure, and never seal it.
The malamine I use isn't mdf in the middle though. Its chipboard

Ah sorry, read that wrong :)

But still applies to MDF.

Melamine/Chipboard wouldnt have this same affect as the chips are too large for wicking water.

from a cabinet making/carpentry point of view. ask for "MR" melamine. means moisture resistant. kitchen grade. just the routine cleaning and such shouldn't bother it. i would seal all corners with the same colour sealant too to be sure. if using natural timber just get a exterior grade high quality sealant and dont be stingy with the amount you apply. they dont call it a sealant for nothing.
hope that helps

I made my own enclosure three year ago and the enclosure is fine i used mr malimine sealed the edges with non toxic gape sealent have snake mesh on cut outs on top that i can put the cut outs back in when the wether get cold. When i work out how to put pics up i will there is a plan on here called building an enclosure (by darren whittaker) i used it to make the bottem cabnet with a middle wall and doors it is easy to build and if you want something smaller you can put it on its side and put a shelf in and hay presto you have 2 enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back