Computer Monitors - how big can you get???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OR you could just wait until this Alienware curved monitor is available :p

alienware-arc-monitor.jpg
I know what I'm asking the Easter Bunny for this year

i know of someone that has a 52" Plasma and goes bananas. he switches between HD tv and gaming everything is wireless and he paid ALOT of money.

hey

Just out of curiosity what size monitor are you looking for??

I notice your OP says you are on a 17" monitor which you seem not to like (nor would I lol) so I would think your after something of a decent size... I run triple 23.6" alienwares (I would go 3 x dell 24" ultrsharp's if i had the money) and thats enough for me to do all that I want however I like to do lots of multitasking and for some people it would be better to just have one large monitor as they are only watching a movie or surfing or gaming.. for my use computer monitors (as opposed to t.v's) are good value as I can get good specs for a smaller price then a t.v. and get 3 of them.. However once you start looking at 30" or above the cost of a monitor goes up significantly for one with similar spec's to a good 24"...

The other thing to consider is where the monitor/t.v. will be located.. if it is on a desk in my opinion you wouldn't want to go much bigger then 24" - 27" in 1080p as after that you are sitting to close for it to be clear.. in that situation (if you want to go bigger) you have no choice but to go for a monitor as they come with higher res.. the Dell 30" ultrasharp comes with 2560 x 1600 res where as most t.v's are no more then 1080p..

If you are sitting in your lounge room (or a significant distance away) then anything large at 1080p is fine and you are far better off going the t.v. route if you don't want to spend the $$..

other then that most of what has been said is the info you need to sort out good from bad screens..

hope i have helped.. (sorry if it is long winded)

(NEC also have curved 43" monitor.. WICKED :evil:)

What is my OP?

I'm on an M17x Alienware - so I am sort of stuck with the HD screen that way for the time being.... :)

lol sorry i was using it instead of writing original post (also means original poster I think)

so its a laptop?? if thats the case you are probably limited to dual screens (not including your laptop monitor). the specs say you have a display port and HDMI.. guess that means you can run twins one in each..

Do you know how large a monitor you want??

HAHA! Thanks, I thought OP stood for something that allowed you to look up my specs of computer :p

I don't know yet, what I'll do with the monitor situation. I do have HDMI and VGA out... I assume it's HDMI out - do they work both ways???

Yeah I miss read the OP and thought you had a desktop alienware which would allow you to have more monitors attached..

They both provide output yes but VGA is lame ***.. thats old, use the HDMI and displayport if you have it on your model (dell website says you should).. I don't use display port as i don't have them on my GFX cards nor do i have enough HDMI to run three monitors.. I use DVI which do fine..

The pics on the website look like you have displayport on the right of the HDMI port but I could be way off there.. its all about size with monitors.. (as are most things in life).. and the bigger you want the more you will pay..

yes I have a display port - but never understood it (because I was just using my 17in standard monitor for the time being).

Maybe you can explain....

From what I have read its a replacement for DVI and VGA (digital and analogue respectively). However is NOT a replacement for HDMI. If you have the choice you would run HDMI but Displayport in theory should be better than (if not equal to) DVI. Not all GFX cards have it yet (I think ATI have it but not Nvidia). If you want to run HD you will need HDMI (could be wrong) but otherwise Displayport is pretty good. Wiki is your friend if you want more info (very technical page though)

Alot of monitors have it these days (Dell do) and if you got two monitors thats what I would run it on (one on HDMI and one on Displayport).. Obviously you would run HD stuff on the HDMI monitor and anything else on either..

Last edited:
Slim, if you are after a quality picture you cant go past CRT monitors... Yes they are really big but the picture is awesome and no delay. I have a 22 inch SONY Trinitron which i got for $100 i use it for gaming.

Slim, if you are after a quality picture you cant go past CRT monitors... Yes they are really big but the picture is awesome and no delay. I have a 22 inch SONY Trinitron which i got for $100 i use it for gaming.

I have a 29 inch Sony Wega... It does not have high picture quality as it only has half the amounts of lines of display... That was why I initially had this idea - because the kids were using the Sony CRT but didn't like it because of the clashes of technology with digital picture (it doesn't look as good). Anyway - it's ok, not sure I have money for this venture yet :) might have to wait a little while!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back