Know much about weaponry?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well - instead of weapons - why not defensive tactics?

For example using non-newtonian fluids in liquid armour vests... It's many tmes more effective than kevlar by itself.

As an aside - did you know that the Maori people invented trench warfare - maybe not invented, but were the first to deploy it successfully against the Brits in NZ.

They always had fortified Pa (areas where they lived) on the top of hills with trenches dug in.

When the Brits attacked they couldn't hit anything. Then over night the Maori would abandon their fortress and build a new one somewhere else... It was a real downer (stronger words should be employed there) for he brits - they didn't care about the fortresses - they wanted the Maori dead... Anyway, that was a long way off the record...

The original catapult has now been turned into a rail gun... Almost the same idea, just different methods of employing.

The rail gun's warhead is sent from the gun using two electrified tracks that cause opposing magnetic induction in the warhead sending it moving forward (similar methods to how they shoot the Tower of Terror cart up the Tower of Terror at Dreamworld).

I understand this is just a basic assignment and you wouldn't need to go into the physics of it all... But the concept between catapult (firing a projectile) and a rail gun (also firing a projectile) are remarkably similar and show 1000s of years of evolution!

I still think the long bow is better though!

Well your original post just specified weaponry, so you have loads of suggestions.
Past discoveries in weaponry lead to the newer ones. I am wondering if you may think old stuff is boring
when in fact it is the history of this subject that is quite interesting, yes even for young people.
But if you only need new stuff that can't quite be affirmed in it's usage but has all the "bells and whistles"
you should have said so. Good luck with it, interesting subject.

But if you only need new stuff that can't quite be affirmed in it's usage but has all the "bells and whistles"
you should have said so. Good luck with it, interesting subject.

Sorry, I thought I did...

I have a uni assignment due on the 24th March on recent innovations/emerging technologies in a chosen topic.
Does anyone know of any recent innovations or new technologies that are emerging in weaponry or in the military?

Yep my bad, too many "yah it's Friday" sips.
Sounds like something you can have a lot of fun with, good luck.
Maybe you can use some of the old time stuff to quantify new innovations?

Try looking at Israel's Trophy System. It's effectively a forcefield that stops RPGs hitting tanks. here's a promotional clip from the makers.

[video=youtube;w_dbWtpTGig]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_dbWtpTGig[/video]

starts with body parts, fists, feet and goes to throwing stones. bigger ones, beter ones, ones that explode. Same process different magnitude. If you had to describe us as a species it would be hard not include war as a trait.

If you had to describe us as a species it would be hard not include war as a trait.

If it wernt for a the occasional individual we wouldnt be anything more interesting than ants. They have society, cleverly engineered buildings, war and even suicide bombers (they dont have internet forums yet though).

It actually was the middle finger they used to cut off archers. Showing you still have a middle finger was considered an act of defiance ( I think I have that right?? I'm too lazy to Google it :lol:)

Weaponology on Discovery Science is a really good show. Are u looking at Modern or ancient weapons?

I beleive it was index and middle finger that the French would take from English archers, The two finger taunt was knuckles out, and later on the same fingers knuckles in was the V for victory sign.

superhornet-cut.jpg

well i know a bit about the current F/A 18 Super hornet..priveleges!!!! uhmm well to start with basics
- its the upgrade multi role Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) from the Hornet
- its lighter and faster
-F/A-18F Super Hornet will give Australia an upgraded air combat capability for both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions until the full introduction into service of the F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF). Twenty-four Super Hornets will replace the F-111s at Nos 1 and 6 Squadrons at RAAF Base Amberley from 2010.
- introduction of Super Hornets minimises the risk of a possible future capability gap if the JSF program were to fall behind schedule.
- The original Hornet was developed for the US Navy and Marine Corps and has been a very successful aircraft, including over 20 years exemplary service with the Royal Australian Air Force. The US Navy took delivery of its first Super Hornet in 1999. Super Hornets are larger than the original models with many detail improvements. Their increased wing area allows them to carry more stores further on their extra hardpoints. They are most easily recognised by their rectangular engine air intakes.
- Super Hornets give the Air Force a relatively easy upgrade path, given our experience with Hornet maintenance and two-crew operations with both Hornets and F-111s.

the Specs
Manufacturer Boeing
Role Multi-role fighter
Crew Two
Engine Two low-bypass F414-GE-400 turbofans (9,800kg thrust each)
Airframe Length: 18.3m, height: 4.9m
Wingspan 13.6m
Weight 13,387kg basic, 29,900kg maximum take-off weight
Speed Mach 1.6 (1,960km/h)
Range Ferrying 2,700km (without refuelling)
Interdiction over 1,000km
Combat radius 740km
Ceiling Above 50,000 feet
Weapons
AIM-120 AMRAAM active radar guided missiles
AIM-7 Sparrow radar-guided long-range missiles
AIM-9 Sidewinder infra-red seeking missiles
Harpoon anti-ship missile
conventional and laser-guided bombs
M61 20mm nose-mounted cannon
Avionics
Hughes APG-79 multi-mode radar
GPS
inertial navigation system
VHF omni-directional range/instrument landing system
two mission computers
head-up cockpit display
multi-functional cathode ray tube displays

What the RAAF are acquiring in the future
jsf-cut.jpg

The F-35 Lightening II
The JSF is being designed to:
  • be a long-range stealth fighter
  • have advanced electro-optical and infrared sensors
  • use a wide range of air-to-surface and air-to-air weapons
  • have radically reduced sup
  • port requirements.
Three variants are planned:
  • conventional take-off and landing variant (F-35A CTOL)
  • short take-off and vertical landing variant (F-35B STOVL)
  • carrier variant (F-35C CV).
Australia is expected to acquire the F-35A CTOL variant and achieve Initial Operating Capability in 2014.

Australia joined the international Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) program in 2002 and is expected to acquire around 100 aircraft to replace its Hornets and F-111s from 2012. The JSF, the Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II, is being developed as a fifth-generation, stealthy, multi-role fighter for the US and UK armed forces and allies.
Joining the international JSF program enables Australia to access capability and technology a generation ahead of other contemporary aircraft. Involvement allows Australian industry to compete for JSF work, and provides opportunities to participate in the development, production and through-life support phases of the program.

hope that helps on the modern side

hope that helps on the modern side

These flying machines are cool and have bettter weapons than the russian stuff that is far better on a performance/cost index, i have no idea why we dont get both...(apart from political BJ's (which is braziallian jujistsu for any mods who read this lol))

Nothing really beats superior PSYOPs and espionage for manipulating the sheep. Wolves are only a small part in war.

What about the new recoil-less weapons there are now many available,
or IED (Improvised Explosive Devise) There have been many changes in the form and destructive force,
or IWS (Improvised weapon systems) Ranging from Mobile phone .22's through to fully automatic weapons that fold away to nothing and fit in your back pocket
w

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back