Dirty Enclosures @ Petshop

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

russellman

Reaction score
I went to the big pet shop yesterday morning (the one with a reptile room) i was rather shocked at the state of their enclosures. Each snake enclosure had more then a few turds in them, no hides and all the water bowls were either dirty or empty. The lizard enclosures werent much better. I asked a guy that worked there how often they clean/check the enclosures and he said every morning, apparently they all poop at the same time......

Thought i might share this

PM me if you wanna know which shop

Last edited:
I went to a bird shop in Adelaide thas has a separate room with a few snakes for sale, same thing with multi-turded tanks and old sheds. I told the guy there the tanks need clean. Gem of a place.
Do shop operators realise how badly it looks, i'll never buy from a shop like that, who would?

Dont be shocked by this just have a look at 99% of reptile shops in QLD what a joke. How are you ment to take advice from these people on proper keeping when they have their own animals in shocking conditions?

Id rather have a counter productive animal for sale then a stressed one. IMO

Agree, if people want to see the snake they can ask for it to be brought out. Most of the pet shops I've been to in Geelong have been pretty good, there were a couple of bad ones, but one of them shut down. The other is still running but hasn't improved. I went into this shop one day, it was very hot, and a diamond python was soaking in its water... the problem was that the substrate being used was red sand, and it had gone into the water with the snake, there was so much of it that it didn't look ok for the snake to drink. The heat lights in the tank were also on despite it being too hot already, and the tanks smelled horrible.

How are you ment to take advice from these people on proper keeping when they have their own animals in shocking conditions?

such a good point, when i bought my snake from a pet store the guy told me it doesnt need a light in the enclosure but i can get one to make the enclosure look better...

such a good point, when i bought my snake from a pet store the guy told me it doesnt need a light in the enclosure but i can get one to make the enclosure look better...

What was so wrong with that advice?

you can try and report them to the RSPCA...though I doubt much will happen sadly.

I reported a Brisbane pet shop to them, the animals were all over heating, puppies and guinea pigs that were filthy with no water, in direct sunlight in filthy plastic display tanks, no ventilation either except the tiny crack where the door attached, matted hair.
and I got told by the RSPCA the place was fine.

What a joke of an agency.

Are you referring to heat lights?

you can try and report them to the RSPCA...though I doubt much will happen sadly.

I reported a Brisbane pet shop to them, the animals were all over heating, puppies and guinea pigs that were filthy with no water, in direct sunlight in filthy plastic display tanks, no ventilation either except the tiny crack where the door attached, matted hair.
and I got told by the RSPCA the place was fine.

What a joke of an agency.

I've had experience with the RSPCA and they were awesome, really responsive and did not muck around.

If you are worried for the animals, report them..all it takes is a phone call. One visit from the RSPCA and they should pick their act up pretty fast....I would.

I've had experience with the RSPCA and they were awesome, really responsive and did not muck around.

If you are worried for the animals, report them..all it takes is a phone call. One visit from the RSPCA and they should pick their act up pretty fast....I would.

I did report them...that's what I was saying?
I reported them, the conditions were clearly horrorific, and the RSPCA "inspected" and said it was all good. I saw the place after their so called inspection, and it was the same.

I've had multiple run ins with the RSPCA where I've found them useless. Not by basis of law, but by just outright being useless.

Thread is going to cause a whole heap of debate, while in my personal opinion the MAJORITY of petshops are a disgrace and shouldn't be allowed to sell reptiles, their is that decent store which is a 1:10 ratio. had the unfortunate experience of working at one of the biggest petshops in melbourne 4-5 years ago (now closed down) for about 2 months before i quit, which had one of the "best reputations" in melbourne, so many dead animals every week you wouldn't beleive me if i told you the amount, had customers complain about the front of the store and the state of enclosures, lucky you guys didnt see the back of the store.. exotic trades going down under the table (they even bought a snapping turtle to the back of the store in the 2 months i was there :rolleyes:) amongst poaching and other things..

Last edited:
I went to a bird shop in Adelaide thas has a separate room with a few snakes for sale, same thing with multi-turded tanks and old sheds. I told the guy there the tanks need clean. Gem of a place.
Do shop operators realise how badly it looks, i'll never buy from a shop like that, who would?

I know the one;-).... and they are hugely over priced to. The owner of that store at least admits he knows very little about snakes

If the shop in questions initials are PC then they will never change. I worked there for a year and in the end walked out because of the conditions. There not interested in the welfare of the animals at all. The new owner doesent even like animals and screams if you put a reptile near her. She once left her dog in the store for 2 weeks without noticing. shes a moron.

They had all the staff in that section do a basic herp course but then refused to listen to us when we said things were unacceptable. Poor old noopy was left to incubate her own egs with the worst case of mites i have ever seen and her partner Charlie was left with a resp infection for months. as far as i know he is still on a breathing machine (not sure of exact terms sorry) for 3 hours a day and this is nearly 6 months after treatment. And the only reason they took him to the vet was that staff called the RSPCA on them.

And its not just the herps that are suffering its all the other animals too. The owner is a moron in one day she managed to break /remove the legs of 2 Jap quails, a Dove and a Quaker. and then refused to take them to the vet. I once recieved an oficial warning (screamed at on the floor by the payroll officer) for attempting to take an animal to the vet.

And this is supposed to be the best pet store in brissy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back