Training a Childrens Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hmmm...interesting...I dont believe u can train snakes..but i do believe they can pick up on feeding times and procedures..for Example.. I was using a bucket when thawing out my rodents/birds before i fed my collection..now the bucket I use is green,and after a period of time I noticed when I brought the bucket into the snake room,my Olive would notice this and come straight up against the glass of his enclosure waiting to bed fed..( now i thought,maybe he is picking up the scent or maybe attracted to the warm bucket).so..I thought i would conduct my own experiment..and tried doing this with a red bucket..twice..and wow!...He did not budge until I had opened his enclosure..so resulting in..they can recognize objects and colour..and still now,when i enter the room with the green bucket..he's on to it....Olive pythons are definitely a inquisitive intelligent species :) ..Not sure about Childrens pythons tho..lol

hmmm...interesting...I dont believe u can train snakes..but i do believe they can pick up on feeding times and procedures..for Example.. I was using a bucket when thawing out my rodents/birds before i fed my collection..now the bucket I use is green,and after a period of time I noticed when I brought the bucket into the snake room,my Olive would notice this and come straight up against the glass of his enclosure waiting to bed fed..( now i thought,maybe he is picking up the scent or maybe attracted to the warm bucket).so..I thought i would conduct my own experiment..and tried doing this with a red bucket..twice..and wow!...He did not budge until I had opened his enclosure..so resulting in..they can recognize objects and colour..and still now,when i enter the room with the green bucket..he's on to it....Olive pythons are definitely a inquisitive intelligent species :) ..Not sure about Childrens pythons tho..lol

I reckon all snakes can be "smart" in their own ways :D

hnn17- stalker much xD, I've changed it to see if they're colour blind, cos it's kinda obvious they know when feeding is because they will get use to the routine. SO now I'm kinda stuck, how to test colour blindess in snakes -_- help would be appreciated.
good theory for the olive python, I'll use the same for the Childrens excpet, using shapes up against the glass. Black for feeding time and yellow, blue, red for non feeding time and see if she will recognise the shape or colour?

i dont know if you'd call it trainable, bit for his first 2 years i fed Loki (a bredli) on newspaper, he would actively check out every and any newspaper he'd see, whether it was near the spot i normally fed him or at the other end of the house,...when my bf would bring a paperd in on weekend mornings, Loki would climb the table for a sniff, then lie next to it waiting for the rat to appear.

then i noticed he found it easier to find the head if he was hanging,...so i started draping him over chairs to feed, for a while he'd check out the newspaper pile, then check out the chairs, after 3 years on chairs only he now seeks out the feeding chairs (bar stools) whenever hes loose in the house, but isnt interested in other chairs even though the same amount of rodent smell would be on them since the smaller snakes get fed on the dining table chairs.

so im sure he does recognise the places where he knows food is delivered to, but doesnt actually go into strikey feed mode till theres a rat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back