What should I get??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny_b

Reaction score
I am very excited about the SOFAR expo in Newy this weekend. I have beardies in tanks inside and eastern long neck turtles in a lovely pond outside and am looking to make a purchase or two to add to the collection. I am thinking about getting my first snake but I am still trying to find a place to put it... i have plenty of room outside to build enclosures but it isn't the sunniest backyard in the world due to big trees. It gets fair sun in the summer but not much in winter. I have had the turtles for years and they are very happy but they are local species to the area. Maybe I'll build an enclosure close to the house and have supplement lighting and heating when needed. Has anyone else done this? Would a local Sydney species of python be ok with this type of arrangement? If so what? I have concerns about diamonds due to the syndrome they can get. Any tips? I don't want to make an emotional purchase without thinking it through first! I'd also like some advice on maybe some lizard/skink species that would tolerate the same conditions.

A diamond should be ideal for you, probably need minimal changes to a standard outside enclosure. Would have to find out more specifically your backyard.

Thanks for that. I have an outdoor enclosure already built that I used to house blueys in which I could put a wire roof on. It is about 3m x 3m with loads of landscaping including grasses, bush rock flagging and a few plants. It has a little hide house in it as well. I know diamonds don't like to feel exposed, do you think this would be ok? Would I have to supplement the heating due to the lack of full sun in the cooler part of the year? Could I use an outdoor spotlight for this?

how little sun does it get exactly? In summer and winter? Also need to have areas it can escape the sun and heat if it wants to.. other than that it should love it.

It gets enough sun through most of the year but for about 3-4 months over winter it would only get an hour or two of filtered sunlight. We are on the southern side of a hill with tall trees, and this area where this and the turtle enclosure is is the most open area we have. The turtles brumate through the cooler months so they aren't bothered by it - I am assuming that the diamond would also do this. The more I read and think about it, I think the area would be fine. I really appreciate your words of encouragement, thank you! It looks like a diamond it is!

Diamonds are beautiful, I was holding one the other day that was probably about 2 years old. It was very placid and inquisitive, and I love their colours. There was a girl who looked to be in primary school that came over, so I let her hold the snake. She loves them but her mother doesn't. The girl is keen on getting a snake when she moves out of home (that'll be a while!) but it's good to see the younger generation taking an interest in snakes and learning that they aren't horrible creatures that want to eat you. Jenny_b, if you get a diamond please post pics, we love that! Hope everything goes well for you :)

you wont regret the diamond they are lovely allround. The area sounds fine. If you need any help with the setup and such , let me know.

Yes, get a diamond! :p
They are beautiful pythons... great nature and beautiful colour and patterning.
I got a diamond as my first snake and im glad i did.
Good luck in the future with everything... and as Tahlia said, please post pictures! :D

if you can get one i highly suggest a green tree snake. They are beautiful snakes, very easy to house (can house them in planted enclosures as they are not large enough to destroy plants), easy to keep and much more interesting then pythons. Unfortunately they can be a little hard to come across

if you can get one i highly suggest a green tree snake. They are beautiful snakes, very easy to house (can house them in planted enclosures as they are not large enough to destroy plants), easy to keep and much more interesting then pythons. Unfortunately they can be a little hard to come across

lol and make sure you have fast hands! they are one very fast snake

Thanks so much you guys! I used to work at a plant nursery next to a national park and wild diamonds were always coming through sunning themselves in pots and gutters. There was one living in the roof with a brush tail possum which was always interesting! They really are beautiful creatures. We got the odd green tree snake too which was always a treat.

When i am set up, I'll send some pics. Thanks again everyone.

lol and make sure you have fast hands! they are one very fast snake

thats true, caught a gorgeous wild specimen crossing the road today, after moving it off the road it was off like lightning, managed to get a few pics of it though but wasnt easy. They do seem to calm down well though

A monitor might be a nice addition to your outdoor collection.

I have considered a monitor, and maybe will in the future. They fascinate me but I must admit I am a bit scared of them...?! they look so powerful, and again have come across some wild ones a few times but I keep my distance with respect! Might be a future project I will work up to. The seed is set however.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back