Piranhas

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Titanic_Boa

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if Piranhas are allowed to be kept as pets in NSW, do i require a licence, where would i get them from, any info would be appreciated

I don't know if you can keep piranhas but I doubt it. Just get a silver dollar they are closely related and look really similar.

Anyone know if Piranhas are allowed to be kept as pets in NSW, do i require a licence, where would i get them from, any info would be appreciated

No, you can't have them under any circumstances, they are listed as a class 1 noxious species.

Well WA's aquarium is top 5 in the world if they don't have them then I doubt we will ever see them in Australia.

They are definitely here, but no you can't keep them legally.

You can see them at the aquariums in Japan, and the amazon river. maybe even swim with them there. But you cant keep as pets..plus imagine cleaning the tank...!!!

I've seen them before in a private aquarium, they are not like what you think, cleaning the tank is no prob as long as your not bleeding and they havnt been starved.

Pirhanas are pussys and not the bad villians they are made out to be .there are only 4 recorded incidents where a human has been eaten by pirhanas and they were all dead or cronicly bleeding in the water.still very cool fish though.we were up to our chins in water in Brazil,handful of meat in one hand (for bait),bamboo fishing rod in the other,catching them around our ankles.sweet meat on them to.very tasty.
cheers
simon

Attachments

• brazilpirhana1.jpg
    brazilpirhana1.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 121
  • brazilpirhana2.jpg
    brazilpirhana2.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 119
They're just small versions of Goliath Tiger fish...

558107-goliath-tigerfish.gif

Try keeping one of those puppies in a tank... :) Just don't release it in our waterways!!!

Just curious why you can't put silver dollars with live plants??

lol ok. I would love to get into keeping some fish. I had some about 10 years ago.

What about OSCARS, they are related and look pretty cool, you can buy them most shops. Fairly aggressive to,

What about OSCARS, they are related and look pretty cool, you can buy them most shops. Fairly aggressive to,

how are they related? Apart from the fact they are all fish. Piranha's are tetra's, convicts are cichlids

Dunno mate, I knew a bloke who used to keep em and he told me that, i never felt the need to look it up as he seemed quiet confident of himself. Now i know better.

Oscars are still pretty cool fish though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back