when can you start housing snakes together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dale1988

Reaction score
hi guys had a look around there was a little information but not alot i am tryign to figure out at what age and size i should start keeping my darwin pair together they are 10 months old from what the breeder has told me and i thought instead of having 2 enclosures i could just get 1 big enough for the 2 of them what is everyones input on this situation?

I can already smell blood being spilled over this. Mixed opinions on keeping snakes together. Be warned. The flame war debate begins.

yeah i realize different people have different opinions last thing i want to do is cause a argument i just want to view both opinions and see what the pros and cons are for both methodsas i was told by the breeder it would be fine to house together then other people saying no dont do it

yeah i realize different people have different opinions last thing i want to do is cause a argument i just want to view both opinions and see what the pros and cons are for both methodsas i was told by the breeder it would be fine to house together then other people saying no dont do it
then do a search as this topic comes up a fair bit .
a 10 sec search gave a heap of threads >
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article PDFs/q&a_species_together_lr.pdf

gammons ranges carpets housed together ?

Could I put two Darwins in together? Your views.

housing snakes together and feeding separately..

Snake eats brother then dies.

housing multiple

raising a pair of snakes together?

Last edited:
theres is always a risk that 1 could cannabalise the othere resulting in the loss of both. If you think its worth the risk of possibly losing both then go ahead

Edit: my bad, someone with a similar name sent me a pm a few months ago asking if he could buy one of my snakes without a licence.

Last edited:
It's always possible but always a risk, I would take into consideration that the risk of them trying to eat each other is quite real and if you are prepared to risk that. Just get a 2 bay enclosure instead of a single imo

I house my mammal/rodent eaters together, but my reptile loving aspidites are housed seperate, I've never had a problem with Morelia of same size, but have heard some horror stories.

I know that I will get flamed again - BUT we house our carpets together and our diamonds together - WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL .
We keep a very close eye on them at feeding time etc....
We have never had one try to eat the other - but the reptiles that we house together are the same size/age etc...
Each to their own - what works for us, is not everyones cup of tea - and - everyone has to remember that there is NO right or wrong - just different opinions...
SO there is no need for any nasty comments......

I agree mrs_davo, my morelia and antaresia species are all fine living with their mate, I have only ever had a problem at feeding time when one finishes faster than the other and wants to steal the others rat, I just keep a close eye at feed time and sometimes seperate.

ive housed a few as prs,though a while back,a few days after being fed one of my young murry darlings had eaten its cage mate,then died also trying to regurgitate a couple of days later,they were of identical size and been together since hatchies,only time ive ever had an issue,but it only takes that one time to lose an animal or 2,for ease of feeding and maintenance,its better to house them seperatly,mind you i still have a pr of adult darwins together

a mate of mine has all ways housed his adult pairs of carpets together and seperated them at feed time and i have all ways said you should house them seperate just to be safe and you have plenty of room for the extra cages and he has always said they are fine i have never had a problem with them being housed together,then about 2 weeks ago i got a phone call from him to let me know from out of the blue the male carpet had kill'd the female,he had fed them 2 days before all this happend so they would not have been hungry,all i could say was sorry about the bad news but i TOLD YOU SO.

so what i am trying to say is no matter how safe you are you can not be watching them 24hrs a day so you just never know what may happen ,just for the sake of saving a small amount of cash and only buying one cage,but this is jmo and it is up to you.

yeah i will just house seperately and if i decide to breed later on which i most likely will as thats why i bought them ill sought something out then just a question while im on that topic when it does come to breeding time how do you go about it like just chuck them in together for a night or will mating basically happen immediately?

We recently built a 2 bay enclosure with 2 glass doors on the front that you could open both doors and slide out the dividing floor to turn it into a single enclosure for breeding time. Had a full rock wall and floor throughout and was not distinguishable as either a single enclosure or a two bay, turned out really well

yeah i will just house seperately and if i decide to breed later on which i most likely will as thats why i bought them ill sought something out then just a question while im on that topic when it does come to breeding time how do you go about it like just chuck them in together for a night or will mating basically happen immediately?

Very wise move. You can keep them together, but it requires constant vigilance, and eventually you will lose one animal... or both. When it happens, you'll realise why it's not recommended. Just not worth the risk. Those who say they do it without incident just haven't been doing it for long enough.

One exception... if you keep them in very big enclosures, such as an aviary, your chances of negative outcomes are greatly reduced. It has a lot to do with the direct exposure the animals have to each other.

Jamie

Last edited by a moderator:
yes it can be done and often with no issues what so ever as you have heard from a few members here. Unfortunately there are also many examples of it ending in tragedy with one or both of the snakes dead. Its totally up to you if you do or not but in doing so you have to realise that there is the chance that both may die as a result. If your not willing to loose one or both of your pythons i suggest you dont do it.

I know that I will get flamed again - BUT we house our carpets together and our diamonds together - WITH NO PROBLEMS AT ALL .
We keep a very close eye on them at feeding time etc....
We have never had one try to eat the other - but the reptiles that we house together are the same size/age etc...
Each to their own - what works for us, is not everyones cup of tea - and - everyone has to remember that there is NO right or wrong - just different opinions...
SO there is no need for any nasty comments......
Thats the way i look at it.

IMO....if they know they don't have to compete for food I see no problem. Offer food once a week in separate tubs, put them back into enclosure after finished feeding and never had a problem in 3 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back