Hopping Mice Cannabilism

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jinin

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I have a colony of Spinifex Hopping Mice(About 20). They were producing lots of babies until I sold about 5 adults off. Since they have only produced about 6 which isnt the problem, but They had one yesterday(Probably more) but it has disappeared and I am 100% sure they ate it. No way of escape or anything. What I am asking is there anyway to stop them from eating their own babies? They get protein, so it is not as if they are after protein. Also, as there are 20 Adults I cant work out who the mother is as I would separate them. They all seem to look after the baby so it is really hard to work out...

Any help would be great!

Thanks
Jake

In my general breeding of mice sometimes you just get some "bad" mothers. One of me females now gives birth to 10 or so babies but than eats most of the babies so she has only 4 or 5. I dont believe it is because she lacks protien as none of my other females do it(I only house 2 or 3 per) and she doesnt eat any of her roomates babies. But I believe she does it to cull the litter down to what she thinks is a believable size for her to maintain as her 4 or 5 babies turn into the biggest and most healthiest of mice I have each time.

Sounds like you also have alot of mice together so maybe just overcrowding witch can lead to cannabilism for contest of food ect though it is only babies dieing? Than it also can just be jealous virigin mothers/mothers. Both of which have happened to me.

Oh to add I believe your solution would be to house them into smaller controlled groups and just watch what happens. Easier to wean out the trouble makers if there is any in the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back