A cool bird

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are a nice bird, the variation in colour across one body always amazes me, what a contrast!

I wish I could take a photo like some on here can.....I get to see a heap of great stuff but I just don't have the gift of the camera.

one of the males at Australia Zoo certainly liked starring me down and following me in November!

I didn't mind though...since they're so cool to look at!

just out of interest, the Australian and New Guinean birds were recently separated as Ephippiorhynchus australis now to be known as the Satin Stork, E. asiaticus is to be known as the Black-necked Stork. the word Jabiru is actually portuguese, not aboriginal as claimed by tourist operators, and is also used for two other storks E. senegalensis the Saddle-Billed Stork, and the Jabiru Jabiru mycteria of the Americas originally called Jabiru prior to when described in 1819.

I always thought Jabiru was a name given to them by the aboriginal people, but as you said, Jabiru is not only a portugese word, it is a stork found through the americas, ours is the asian black necked stork, I guess we just picked up their common name at some point and stuck with it.
"In Australia, it is sometimes called a Jabiru although that name refers to a stork species found in the Americas. It is one of the few storks that is strongly territorial when feeding." wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-necked_Stork

Last edited:
I always thought Jabiru was a name given to them by the aboriginal people, but as you said, Jabiru is not only a portugese word, it is a stork found through the americas, ours is the asian black necked stork, I guess we just picked up their common name at some point and stuck with it.
"In Australia, it is sometimes called a Jabiru although that name refers to a stork species found in the Americas. It is one of the few storks that is strongly territorial when feeding." wikipedia
Black-necked Stork - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well there you go, I have just learned something, I always thought it was an Aboriginal name too!

@guzzo, it was silverback who brought this fact to my attention.... :)

I was out herping the other night and watched a dingo trying to catch a young Jabiru. Was quite funny to watch, the dingo perserveered for about 40 minutes.

I've seen the bird since so no i don't think he did. I think it may have been my fault though, i caught the dingo in my spotlight when he was putting his stalk on. He followed it for a good 2km down the road but.

Fantastic birds - we get one or two around Port Macquarie from time to time, and the odd pair of Brolgas as well...

J

Fantastic birds - we get one or two around Port Macquarie from time to time, and the odd pair of Brolgas as well...

J
Wow thats a long way down South, it is a funny thing to see their huge nests high up in a tree with a big old bird on top

I've seen the bird since so no i don't think he did. I think it may have been my fault though, i caught the dingo in my spotlight when he was putting his stalk on. He followed it for a good 2km down the road but.

You might have saved it too haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back