Bloated netted dragon

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PeppersGirl

Reaction score
I have an old netted dragon, she's been with me for a few months and aside from her calcium deficiency (which I'm sorting) there is another issue.
She has been very bloated the entire time, it was suspected that she was gravid in the beginning but it's obviously not the case. She hasn't eaten in weeks now, has recently lost the use of her back legs and I've noticed is excreting a sort of yellow mucus every day instead of poo (still isn't eating, aside from the liquid calcium being given).
She used to be quite content shuffling around but recently I can see she is struggling. I don't think there's much you can do for such a small lizard but I'd like to know if anyone can identify the problem, or give a rough idea?

Pretty confident that is impaction. Make sure the heat is correct and maybe run it a little warmer, say a gradient of 27˚-45˚ and a area heated from underneath such as a low wattage heat matt wouldn't hurt either. She could lay on it and help digest what's left in her tummy - although at this stage it sounds beyond that point. She may have a solid obstruction. A (reptile) vet trip is definitely in order. I've observed this in several Netted rehabs and necropsies where the intestine ends up telescoping on itself and ultimately leads to death if not addressed.

I can't help but wonder though, where on earth all the yellow stuff is coming from as she hasn't eaten in so long and it's coming in increasing amounts. She was defecating regularly until a while after she stopped eating, it just didn't seem to match up with impaction symptoms.

As per usual, she looks a little brighter this morning actually, but I have to watch she doesn't fall on her back or else she can't get herself upright again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back