Some difference in size

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterrat

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I have been feeding this little fella bit more than the rest of them and look at the difference. 31 feeds as opposed to 10 (in the last photo).

wow thats awesome, could there be any problems in the long run for the one that has had 31 feeds?

wow thats awesome, could there be any problems in the long run for the one that has had 31 feeds?

What kind of a problem are you thinking of?
I am feeding up 6 of them (although not as much) the results may show that natives don't prolapse when fed more than usual.

It is an interesting thing that I have been giving a fair bit of thought of late. I mean in the wild what regulates their food intake? I suppose only the availability of food. If there is an abundance of food then I am sure they would keep eating and eating. It stands to reason that a small snake in the wild would want to get as big as quickly as it could.Nice looking snakes by the way, how old is that?. Oh and just for intrests sake what is the largest GTP you have or have personally seen?

Last edited:
They're 4.5 months old. I don't measure snakes but I will pull one of the big ones out this weekend (have to shift them anyway) and photograph it. The captives are bigger than anything I have seen in the wild.

keep us all up to speed with what you find out...I would love to here more!
cheers

I think by problems, Dean meant organ failure or something of the sort.......

Last edited:
They're 4.5 months old. I don't measure snakes but I will pull one of the big ones out this weekend (have to shift them anyway) and photograph it. The captives are bigger than anything I have seen in the wild.

Great, I would be very nterested to know how big they get or what an adult would weigh, I have read about 1.5 mtrs.

keep us all up to speed with what you find out...I would love to here more!
cheers

Most probably nothing. This is not a real experiment, just something to satisfy myself - if half of them prolapse, I won't hold it a secret but I don't think it'll be the case.

Hi Micheal,
I personally think that young snakes of whatever species would feed very regular in the wild if the food was available easy for them just as we provide it in captivity. All young snakes want to do is eat,grow & get bigger so that they are not so vulnerable.

Some don't agree with me & do what they call slow feed. It is my experience with young carpets that I have bred, the first to start feeding get off to a really good start & normally never look back, taking food whenever offered within reason.

You will hardly make a growing snake fat as it easily converts food to growth. I have bought & bred young snakes of the same age & it really shows in the growth as to wether they were well fed or not.

Anyway just my opinion.
Ian.

Great, I would be very nterested to know how big they get or what an adult would weigh, I have read about 1.5 mtrs.

I measure snakes guzz,didnt measure tiny gtp hatchling when i got it from pythoninfinite Jamie as i thought it dangerous to the tail and body but was "tiny"
28/3/09 not measured,approx 2 months old
6 PM
11 Fuzzy Mice
22 Hopper Mice
62 Small Mice
23 Adult mice
1 Pink Rat
10 Fuzzy Rats
4 Hopper Rats
33 Weaner Rats
6 Med Rats
12/3/11 measued 5 ft 6''
Feeds were mostly from smallest to largest by order,take to long to write out all the dates, i dont weigh the snakes as i dont have the appropriate scales.
May be of use to michael,yourself or readers generally.

It is interesting. I also keep this kind of record for each snake but like I said, I don't measure them. Zulu, is it the biggest GTP you've got? I will make some effort this weekend and measure one or two (they just been fed today).

Ian, your theory is very sound but I had unpleasant experience with non-native GTP hatchlings. They were very small in comparison and two pinkies in one week resulted in a prolapse.

Another interesting observation, the bigger the neonates (at hatching), the longer it takes before they start voluntarily feeding. My explanation is, they have more reserves (absorbed egg yolk) than the smaller ones. Any thought on that?

It will be interesting to see your results Michael. it seems every second day mine is caudal luring but I trying to limit feeds to 4-7 days for fear of prolapse. It loves feed day

Michael said ...It is interesting. I also keep this kind of record for each snake but like I said, I don't measure them. Zulu, is it the biggest GTP you've got? I will make some effort this weekend and measure one or two (they just been fed today).

Yeh its the biggest michael,another female a few months older in age from Stuart Barnes is quite a bit smaller as is a male,the locals vary and that may have something to do with size as well food intake.

The Biaks supposed to be the biggest and our natives the smallest race. I have to ask Dan what the Biaks feed on. I am definitely going to measure (or have a guess) my biggest female on weekend. This is a 3 year-old female (nothing to with size or this topic) I just photographed. Interesting tri-colour markings on her.

Micheal,
I have no experience at all, absolutly none with GTPs.
My comments were meant as snakes in general as hatchies & growing young snakes up to about 2 years.

You are probably right about egg yolk size etc, but I have just found with my carpets & bought in BHPs etc that the sooner & better feeders the are they seem to do a lot better than others not so keen, & it goes the same for anything, calves,dogs, even humans.

Cheers
Ian.

I measure snakes guzz,didnt measure tiny gtp hatchling when i got it from pythoninfinite Jamie as i thought it dangerous to the tail and body but was "tiny"
28/3/09 not measured,approx 2 months old
6 PM
11 Fuzzy Mice
22 Hopper Mice
62 Small Mice
23 Adult mice
1 Pink Rat
10 Fuzzy Rats
4 Hopper Rats
33 Weaner Rats
6 Med Rats
12/3/11 measued 5 ft 6''
Feeds were mostly from smallest to largest by order,take to long to write out all the dates, i dont weigh the snakes as i dont have the appropriate scales.
May be of use to michael,yourself or readers generally.

Hey thanks for that info Zulu
I am such a record keeping nerd so i love this sort of stuff.

It is interesting. I also keep this kind of record for each snake but like I said, I don't measure them. Zulu, is it the biggest GTP you've got? I will make some effort this weekend and measure one or two (they just been fed today).

Ian, your theory is very sound but I had unpleasant experience with non-native GTP hatchlings. They were very small in comparison and two pinkies in one week resulted in a prolapse.

Another interesting observation, the bigger the neonates (at hatching), the longer it takes before they start voluntarily feeding. My explanation is, they have more reserves (absorbed egg yolk) than the smaller ones. Any thought on that?

Does their growth rate have an effect on when they change colour or is it age?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back