your herps and travel?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yoda is so good and mum is getting a dash mat so he can sit on the dash.

How will you feel if you have an accident and he is killed? will you say 'oh well I'll just get another'? or will you be really upset? If it is the later I would say it is a little irresponsible to take him out.

One day people will start to understand more about reptiles

Although it is actually illegal to do what this person has done it is no different than when a demonstrator takes reptiles into public arenas
in fact it is probably potentially less stressful on the animal in question
Less stressful because people in a pet shop will be much less inclined to get upset at the sight of a lizard or snake
Snakes are not recommended to take to pet shops because of all the wonderful food in there

Every afternoon we walk one or two snakes; chondros; burmese or retics through Kuta in Bali
No Fuss
No drama
No Complaints

Aussie rules and regs about reptiles are so far behind the times it is ridiculous

So for the OP all I can say is
Understand that this illegal
But also understand that you know your animal much better than anyone else

Petstock don't have live rats, mice or rabbits anymore. I only said that the handbag sounds like the wrong idea for a bearded dragon.

One day people will start to understand more about reptiles

Although it is actually illegal to do what this person has done it is no different than when a demonstrator takes reptiles into public arenas
in fact it is probably potentially less stressful on the animal in question
Less stressful because people in a pet shop will be much less inclined to get upset at the sight of a lizard or snake
Snakes are not recommended to take to pet shops because of all the wonderful food in there

Every afternoon we walk one or two snakes; chondros; burmese or retics through Kuta in Bali
No Fuss
No drama
No Complaints

Aussie rules and regs about reptiles are so far behind the times it is ridiculous

So for the OP all I can say is
Understand that this illegal
But also understand that you know your animal much better than anyone else

yeh coming from South America doing and having anythin we want, i agree Australian Rules are way out of wack

I think they teach bearded dragons tricks in America such as tail wags and 360s they use silkworms as incentive,
I don't think taking snakes out is a bad thing I often take mine to my brothers house for a look or whatever but I think taking snakes out in public is attention seeking. I would not want to walk down the street or into shops with a snake wrapped around my shoulders, especially in Australia where our laws and general outlook is so warped.
A longqi "Every afternoon we walk one or two snakes; chondros; burmese or retics through Kuta in Bali
No Fuss
No drama
No Complaints"
This would be very different to doing this in Australia, as you would know.

How will you feel if you have an accident and he is killed? will you say 'oh well I'll just get another'? or will you be really upset? If it is the later I would say it is a little irresponsible to take him out.[/QUOTE

LOL, mate the guy obviously loves his animal alot and an accident is called just that for a reason. Anything can happen anytime anywhere. We should all sit at home and do nothing based on your view there. People shouldnt take any animal anywhere then? :S To the OP, its your animal you can do whatever you like IMO because you understand him better than anyone else.

one day people will start to understand more about reptiles

aussie rules and regs about reptiles are so far behind the times it is ridiculous

so for the op all i can say is
understand that this illegal
but also understand that you know your animal much better than anyone else

so true!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LUCKILY I HAVE HAD THE PLEASURE TO OWN REPTILES OVERSEAS,IN SOUTH AFRICA... Wish people could see the light over here in aus....or maybe get out a bit more.......Cos i always see "but look what the cane toads did" excuse...did anyone stop and think....wait a minute...they banned ALL "reptiles".. because what an "amphibian" did.. aren't axolotls from mexico.....will a leopard tortoise really destroy our succulents..or maybe..would this Veiled Chameleon threaten out grasshopper species..hahah.. of coarse not..BUT look what the cane toads did...HAHAHA...makes no sense to me..I personally think the government saw reptiles increasing huge in the pet trade..saw that reptiles can be a pricey trade..so why not slap a price tag on it all..you know.. License fee's, display permit fee's..if you want exotics..either pay the huge fine..or pay thousands and thousands for a permit to keep one legally etc etc...because I'm sure we could have a permit system where we dont NEED to give the government money to continue our passion...meh whats the point rambling on!..

Last edited:
with this thread up on beardies, quick question ive got the flu and wondering if i can still get him out and let him sit on my shoulder like he always does?

yep, he'll be fine, apparently reptiles cant catch our germs.

Some people like to actually interact with their pets and not look at them from behind glass. So many high horses being ridden......I think it is fantastic that you take your pet with you for little trips, you seem to be aware about others touching your pet etc so what is the problem? It is a good thing for the public to see how awesome reptiles are as pets.
I take my beardie for walks (sitting on my shoulder) outside when the weather is reasonable, he usually sits there and sleeps, you do what you feel is comfortable/safe.

You people obviously dont have a clue about the conditions on your licences!

It is illegal for you to take a licenced animal off the licenced premises with the
exception of removal for sale or to seek vet attention!

As for those of you that think it will advance the hobby by exposure to the public
you are very wrong!
The majority of the public regard what you are doing/advocating as offensive !

Thats why i use alot of fuel,ive gotta stop taking my snakes on joy rides to the park.Are you serious,taking your herps on car trips..C,MON...Only on APS..

Just MY opinion, and I am speaking on behalf of myself as I haven't surveyed the majority of the public yet.

Actually I have lost count of the people that run screaming, in disgust and offence, at the sight of my pet on my shoulder.....You are very right that reptiles should be kept out of public, it would be terrible for a member of the public to take an interest in reptiles. After they get over the apparent offence that the majority of public take.

Pythons73, you could always catch the bus to save on fuel:)

good read this thred...fired up ppl in here :)
Dnt worry about taking them for a drive the pet shops sell harness and lead ...W T F !
BUT WAIT ....I Actually seen a person with the Breadie all hooked up and trying to walk him down the beach front ...could not believe my eyes hahaha

Cos i always see "but look what the cane toads did" excuse...did anyone stop and think....wait a minute...they banned ALL "reptiles".. because what an "amphibian" did.. aren't axolotls from mexico.....will a leopard tortoise really destroy our succulents..or maybe..would this Veiled Chameleon threaten out grasshopper species..hahah.. of coarse not..BUT look what the cane toads did...!..

mate it's not based on one species, in australia we have more than one INTRODUCED pest. Look at hawaii, they have nearly no native
animals because of all the introduced pests. I watched a david attenbrough series were it was talking about that most of the destruction to native fauna and flora were to do with the introduction of foreign pests, It was a while ago when I watched it so I can't give out any examples. would you mind finding me an example where an introduced animal has done any good to native fauna and flora?
It maybe true that a lepard gecko or a chameleon couldn't do anything to our native wildlife (apart from the remote posibility of introducing diseases) but you have to take in to account that if we are aloud exotics it wont just stick to a few hamless species..... we will be accepting all species of exotics which out of the sheer majority there will be more than likely to be at least a few species that could cause harm to our native wildlife.

Last edited:
I went too a local produce market down (well more like a regular car boot sale) my way and happen to see some enclosures at one end of the car park. I went to invetigate and there was a bunch of guys charging $2 to hold their snakes. Checked it out to see what they got and the bloke told me.. "do you want to hold me snake mate... kahhh..on.. it's only 2 bux? I declined naturally, and said Nah.. mate I'm scared of them just wanted to look lol.

at least he spends time with his reptile unlike alot of ppl who just stick em in plastic containers on a rack. . the only time the see true light is when they are being sold . . but that is considered as fair to an animal

at least he spends time with his reptile unlike alot of ppl who just stick em in plastic containers on a rack. . the only time the see true light is when they are being sold . . but that is considered as fair to an animal

Human interaction only benefits the human not the reptile, they aren't dogs.

jordanmuldeer i agree with you completely. . i myself have found cornys sun baking in the middle of the road in blacktown. . obviously came from narrangingy reserve. . who knows what impact they are having. . but if ppl were more responsible with exotics then this would never occur. . there are many facets to this point which you can understand why its illegal

how can you say the best place for a reptile is in a plastic container its whole life

its understood that human interaction isnt beneficial for an animal i agree but they arent in an enclosure that they would be comfortable in . .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back