Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good friend of mine got constricted around his neck by a very large coastal which he almost lost consciousness. He had to run into the house for his mum to get it off. When they are in this state the only way you can get them off is from the tail. It was an accident and is still his favourite snake.lol
After he told me this story i only ever handle my large coastals with another person nearby.

Cheers,

Dan

I got dropped by my massive scrubbie once and i am a big bloke !!!
instantly around the neck and i was on my knees for a while it had a good hold of my neck it let go and i untangled her but i have never been dropped like that before !!
yeah and i agree you do need two people around just in case they dont release like mine did !
pic of me so you can imagintion the power of my scubbie !!!POE%20FAT%20TRIKR%20DISTANCE.jpg

I think people should be aware in general putting any constrictor around their neck area... large or small. Even Antaresias can constrict quite considerably around a delicate human throat. If this happen without anybody around the scenario might be break the snakes bones to save yourself. No one should put themselves in a situation were they may have to make that choice. My little mac constricts around my hands and arms when I'm handling her... quite substantially I might add.. would'nt want that kind of pressure around my neck. There's anti-venom for vens if you get tagged... unfortunately there's no solution for lack of oxygen, to put it into perspective.

Keep the storys coming ...
Best way to learn...from other keepers mistakes etc... we have all done it..
Saximus is on the ball....would love to hear the " true story " so we can all learn from it...
but dont forget ..
Complacency Kills..

I was told by someone that claimed to know a swedish person working in a venom research centre in SA I think a few years ago and he was handling a large Scrubby or Olive (I can't remember which one it was) while he was on the phone to his family or friends and he said something like "I have to go the snake is getting a bit crazy"... and by then it had a good hold of him and he didn't make it :(

That's the guy we are referring to. None of the news articles refer to him handling the snake while being on the phone though. More Chinese Whispers...?

When I bought my first snake quite a while ago in Qld, the fellow who sold it to me only had one arm. He showed me a large olive python and told me that he was feeding it a rat one day and it grabbed and constricted his arm by mistake. He said that he was stuck there with the phone ringing but could do nothing as his only arm was all wrapped up. I think in the end it let him go when it realised but he was there a while and that would have not been a good situation to be in..

Do big constrictors ever constrict humans with the intention to consume, or is it merely an attempt to obtain warmth/ hang on? I couldn't imagine a scubbie would consider making a meal of an average adult (could they? I've only got a little spotted).

Do big constrictors ever constrict humans with the intention to consume, or is it merely an attempt to obtain warmth/ hang on? I couldn't imagine a scubbie would consider making a meal of an average adult (could they? I've only got a little spotted).

Even little antaresias have a good feeding response and hang on for a bit, just imagine it with something with a bit more power like a scrubbie. Whether the end result is consumption or not, the original intent when actual bite and constrict occurs is usually to eat the prey.

IMAG0194 (Small).jpgIMAG0212.jpgIMAG0189 (Small).jpg

These are my 3 .They are by no means monsters but at some point i have been on the receiving of a bite or a love squeeze from them . The Scrub is the worst one because of the way she can change in a split second .So long as you don't take handling them for granted having a big snake/snakes in your collection is not a problem .

The last shot is great..shows how stong it is :)
When I came Face to Face with my 1st scrubbie it was behind glass...and all it was doin was sizing me up thinkin hmmmm can i eat that...And this was a F N MONSTER scrubbie !!! It was not worryed about me at all..when it started head butting the glass trying to get out and strike at me when i was not moving ..I was like Damnn This big girl is not playing around.
two people standing dead still infront on glass and it could tell their was to of us... even thou we where standing next to each other the Scrubbie could tell their was to people ....looking at me...then moving a little and looking at my dad ..then back to me in a second..and thought yep your the right size then SMASHHHHHHHHH on the glass ...everyone jumped back...then put a sheet over the tank so she would relax...
BUT DAMNNNNN ...Would not like to take her out on her own....
The owner said its a 4man job or they dont take her out

Yep the scrubs seem to be very smart .My girl watches you as you walk past the cage as if sizing you up .She would love to get the cat .The cat walks past the cage and scrubby is right beside her following .If there was no barrier between them the cat would have been gone long ago .

Yep the scrubs seem to be very smart .My girl watches you as you walk past the cage as if sizing you up .She would love to get the cat .The cat walks past the cage and scrubby is right beside her following .If there was no barrier between them the cat would have been gone long ago .

What does the cat think of this? Is it scared at all?

No the cat teases the snake i think .A case of " You want me you but can't have me ".As soon as i get the scrub out the cat runs and hides .She even knows not to muck round with a Scrub hahaha.

View attachment 191005

These are my 3 .They are by no means monsters but at some point i have been on the receiving of a bite or a love squeeze from them . The Scrub is the worst one because of the way she can change in a split second .So long as you don't take handling them for granted having a big snake/snakes in your collection is not a problem .

Bet you don't have any issues with door to door salesmen lol

I am not sure of the story, you would need to speak to someone that is more closer to the situation

i think the best thing i've heard regarding big snakes is that there is no anti-venom for asphyxiation...

i think most accidents or close calls happen when people get lazy or careless, that isn't just restricted to snakes though, i think it applies to everything..

A few years ago I was called out to fetch a scrubby out of someones chook cage. When I arrived, I seen that it was a medium sized snake, about 12 ft, with a chook in its gut. As I got a bit closer to it, it took a defensive stance (I think the chook owner had been harrassing the snake), so I had to distract the snake from me, kinda thing. So, here I am waving one hand to the side of the snake to distract it, and BANG I reached out and grabbed the snake bahind the head. Unfortunately, my timing was a bit off, and I ended up with my hand about three inches from its head. Needless to say it turned and lamped me, so now I've tried to pry its many teeth out of my hand with my free hand, and hey presto... its thrown a coil and handcuffed me.
Instantly its thrown the rest of its coils around my neck and chest and SQUEEZED. Man oh man did it put the pressure on... I had no chance whatsoever... the chook owner bolted away, luckily I had an offsider with me, and we were able to get the snake off. But it had me, and it wasn't a big snake by any means. Just goes to show... 2 people minimum for these bigger snakes lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back