Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Newtosnakes
Stimmis are a pretty small python and my whole clutch are absolute charmers and wouldnt snap at a fly...they are my favourite species for colour and temperment. if ur interested in them im in Penrith and they are getting close too being ready for new homes. i'll add a pic so u can see what they look like (they are of the Wheatbelt locality).

Hatchling and both parents

Attachments

• 0810.jpg
    0810.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 80
  • male wheat.jpg
    male wheat.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 80
  • female wheat.jpg
    female wheat.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 86
That's fair enuf. Id stay away from childrens pythons. Every1 I know has had problems with them being snappy and enclosure conscious. Maybe a diamond python???

All antaresia can be like this and I have found in the past it is more due to underfeeding and a stressful housing. I keep many antaresia of all 3 subspecies and not one is agressive or snappy, a little food orientated sometimes, but only when they are due a feed. Antaresia are also much more a hrady animal than diamond pythons, most of which don't live much longer than 7 or 8 yrs in captivity. I bought an adult mac near on 10 yrs ago and it is still going strong, it would have to be 13 or 14 yrs old now at least as they guy who owned it before me had also bred from him.

Stick with the antaresias mate... specially if its for you and your daugther, once your more confident around snakes and she as well then there's plenty of time for the bigger ones.. Some people seem to forget that there's a two year old involved here and are suggesting potentially 2m long snakes which would have a head size of about a closed adult human fist imagine that around any part of a two year olds anatomy... Big snake... big bite, and as stated all snakes have the potential to bite.

that was what i was conserned about with a bigger snake!

ok I will ad my 2 cents - go coastal. A really placid , easy going snake, great feeders they do get biggish but I have 2 males ages 1 & 2.5 approx my daughter is around the same age as yours and the older snake is perfect the younger one still a bit flighty. Get one reasonably young that has been handled well and life will be sweet.

I'd have to agree with Red-Ink; my daughter's been around snakes since she was about two years old herself and she's fine with handling our children's, but when it comes to our larger beauties, no matter how placid the snake we've always got to be aware of little quick hands looking like food. While all snakes have the potential to bite, at least you can control the size of the jaws doing the biting, and an anteresia would do far less damage than say a carpet or BHP, but after a few years of handling I'd say your daughter would've picked up enough skill for you to acquire something bigger, in which case a Murray Darling would be perfect; they're hardy, generally placid (with time), and absolutely gorgeous :D

thanks everyone for all your help!! you have all been awesome! i have decided to stick with an antaresias at this point. some really nice people have also pmed with details of ones they are selling so i will be off to get my licence and ready soon! any idea how long the licence takes?

The best thing to do is to go to a few people and meet there snakes... there all induviduals like any other animal. If your looking for something on the smaller end of the scale (no pun intended) i would sugest a stimsons i have never come across a nasty one and i used to deal with them on a day to day basis at work, in my experience spotteds and childrens are nasty buggers but again thnat limited to my experience (mostly with hatchies and yearlings). Even as hatchies they dont seem to be too bad. Make sure you get something that is already feeding i would personaly go either an advanced hatchie or a yearling... worth the extra $$$ if you think about the amount of food thats already been put into them. Plus at that age you have a fairly good idea what there temperament is going to be like. Thats not to say your snake wont bite (one day your gonna get bit) but you have a better idea at that age. Im pretty sure a 2ft tank would suffice for any of these snakes.

If you want something a little prettier (IMO) and a tad larger i would sugest a Murray Darling Carpet. They tend to be realy placid and are a decent size without needing a tank that will take over your whole house lol

anyone in nsw know how long it takes to get licence? i have finally sold my pram and can now afford to start really looking!!! yayay!

anyone in nsw know how long it takes to get licence? i have finally sold my pram and can now afford to start really looking!!! yayay!

it took less than 2 weeks for me to get my lic, but i was probably just lucky. if you are keen on a placid snake why don't you find one you like ie a diamond and find a breeder who has a yearling that is quite placid? i got my md as a yearling and she handles great with both my 2 yr old and my 4 yr old. not once has she tried to bite anyone even when little 2 yr old hands have been reaching for the snake from the head direction. snake just turns around and retreats abit. i love my md and the kids adore her too. infact my 2 yr old won't go to bed till he gets to blow her a kiss good night!

i wouldnt use a fishtank as an enclosure they are too hard tor egulate temps....what you save in not buying a melamine enclosure you will spend in electricity bills

have a good read on the site there is heaps of information on enclosures

My friend waited 6 weeks for hers in NSW....

I would say a woma, my 4 year old holds her quite often and we both feel very comfortable with her. She has never snapped and is extremely placid with a lot of personality, she is a pig with her food, very easy to feed. My bredli however is not so friendly, she has tried to snap but I'm yet to be tagged. She is very timid! I wouldn't let my 4 year old hold her, and probably wont for a while.

But like everyone has said, all snakes have their own personality.

My mate really wants a jungle but will only get an adult as they are notorious for being very snappy as hatchys.

really depends on their mood. With keepers books due to be sent back to decc very soon could be alot longer. I sent mine in march last year, got my license just after the expo at homebush which was roughly 8 weeks

Or unless u get one already handled and one that is placid my partner and I got a 5 year old diamond from someone who couldn't have him anymore. He's absolutely gorgeous and has a great personality and is placid. But like the others say u want to get a baby then def a Childs python or Murray darlings r a beautiful snake.

Or unless u get one already handled and one that is placid my partner and I got a 5 year old diamond from someone who couldn't have him anymore. He's absolutely gorgeous and has a great personality and is placid. But like the others say u want to get a baby then def a Childs python or Murray darlings r a beautiful snake.

Thanks Gemm29!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back