Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tyson001

Reaction score
are these available in aus and duo they really only grow to 60cm max.

Yes they are available here & are seen for sale often, they do vary in size but 60cm is about average.

Shellfisch- pygmy pythons are a different species..

cool how much do they usually go for just curios

$350-$450 a hatchling..they have come down in price. Check out snakeranch they have yearlings for sale.

so basically there is
the normal stimsons python
and then there is the pygmy which is a different species. Also knoiwn as the anthill python

So does this pygmy stimmie exist? is it a blend of the 2 species? or is it a confusion

But they are all Antaresia? Aren't they...?

Yes, are you trying to make a point?

Thes were being sold at least as far back as 06. I too would like to know whether they are just a morph or actually are crossbreed. Obviously they never really took of, if they are a hybrid I really don't know why people would bother. All the pictures I've found are pretty ordinary.

Thanks for the link Killimike, certainly cleared a few things up for me.

Pygmy 'stimsons' are basically a natural intergrade between spotted pythons and stimsons pythons, they come from north Qld. The pygmy python (A.perthensis) comes from Western Australia and is a differant species. Both are available from the snake ranch and various other breeders.

If thats true cris wouldn't they then be larger than stimsons. Spotteds being so large?

If thats true cris wouldn't they then be larger than stimsons. Spotteds being so large?

No its not that simple, its likely that they have just evolved to be smaller over a long period of time. While they are short they are still very fat like a spotted python if not fatter. I have no experience in the area they come from so trying to suggest why being smaller was an advantage would be pretty much a random guess. That said being small or big has various advantages and disavantages that come with it, considerable size differances are fairly common in many species of reptiles.

After reading the link on the previous page I'm sure many would disagree about them being an intergrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back