Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

soundfix

Banned
Reaction score
Hi all, I have 2 very placid 2year old coastal, housed to geather in a large indoor enclose.I have just aquired a pair of 9month old jungles. I was wondering if anyone has had success with housing snakes of different breeds?
They are still small enough to be kept in Starmaid containers,but will have to come out soon.
I dont know that much about housing snakes togeather, i have a friend that used to have many snakes, diamonds, and carpets ,all in one big room.
Anyway, any imfo appreciated.Thanks

Do a search and you'll find lots of threads on this topic. In short: bad idea though.

These threads are coming up every day now! Can we put a sticky up or something?

i wouldnt if theres a size difference if there the same size it should be fine :)

i wouldnt put the jungles in with the carpets...they have different temperaments...i dont even trust my two jungles together.....there is a good article about this by simon stone
here is the link
http://www.southernxreptiles.com/Article%20PDFs/q&a_species_together_lr.pdf

I shouldnt go to his site........he has some lovely yearling jungles available....and I have to resist !!!!!!!!!

Elizabeth

jungles tend to be a bit snappy tho
i wouldnt risk it

I know a bloke who goes against all the "rules" and he houses all of his together most of the time from 2-7ft coastals, 7ftbhp, 7ftjungle and he has even housed all of his 12 or so toghether from a spottie coastals jungle bhp with a scrubbie and none of them were harmed nor eaten. DO NOT flame me i have tryed to tel him but he has his way and i have mine as everyone has their own opinion and way

Hey,same as my friend,and he said there we no prob's, the snake required same climate.He had a huge old Diamond python ,among others i couldnt lift(Too long/heavy)All his snakes were well fed though and they brumate properly for the winter too. Ohh, and he breeds rats.Maybe thats why hey dont fight or wander.I dont condone,overweight snakes though,but he had some off the biggest ,fattest snakes ive ever seen, all sharing a single room,-facing east.
I know a bloke who goes against all the "rules" and he houses all of his together most of the time from 2-7ft coastals, 7ftbhp, 7ftjungle and he has even housed all of his 12 or so toghether from a spottie coastals jungle bhp with a scrubbie and none of them were harmed nor eaten. DO NOT flame me i have tryed to tel him but he has his way and i have mine as everyone has their own opinion and way

Snake eats snake and dies

snake eats brother.JPG
I found that this is one possible outcome, if housing snakes togeather. This one ate his brother than died!!

i only know of diamonds being kept in the same enclosure safely one of my friends used to keep about 7-8 in a large enclosure from yearlings up to his largest breeders and he has never lost any as far as Diamonds go.

i would never try it .

i know its quite common keeping antaresia together but on the otherhand in regards to other species ive always heard of the snakes only being introduced for breeding purposes and that is it...

i also know a guy who once tried to keep his coastals together and he had to seperate them because he caught one latched on to the other ones neck. it was lucky he was there when it happened otherwise it could've ended bad.

as appealing as it might be to keep all your snakes in one big enclosure it may not be the best idea as in the wild these snakes aren't forced to be around eachother in a confined space. although it may work for other people yo may be the enlucky one that looses a bulk of your collection. if you do end up trying it u'd have to spend a fair while constantly monitoring the way the snakes act ut even then a split second is all it takes.

best of luck with it, dean

soundfix you just answered your own question.

IMO if you can afford to buy all those snakes you should be able to afford an enclosure each for them if not then build them.

I used to house my cape yorks together till one day the bigger girl attacked the other one and latched onto its head, I also had 2 yearling BHP's in one cage all was going fine till one afternoon after feeding them one of them started trying to eat the other. I highly advise against it keeping any species together unless for breeding purposes, even then there can be consequences here’s an example from this season, this male is only a third of this girls size and some time during the night she attacked him.

View attachment 164005View attachment 164006

i wouldnt put the jungles in with the carpets...they have different temperaments...i dont even trust my two jungles together.....

The thing you have to consider is size. 9 month old jungles are what, 75cm? 2 Year old coastal 1.5m+? Don't keep them together.

In my experience housing together is fine, until breeding season, when they should be separated if they are both males (doesn't matter with diamonds).

Not once have I ever had problems with housing together.

Obviously this only applies to carpets.

Last edited:
so im hearing quite regularly that its fine to house diamonds together, and i do know of 1 guy who keeps 6 ranging from 2 foot to 7 foot in quite a small outdoor cage,(prob 2ftx3x6(h) he also feeds live, just dumps the rodents in. (ive never seen that part, his sister told me that in disgust when i was checking out his outdoor setup)

is it a fact that it is safe to house diamonds together?
ive always considered it little more than good luck that nothings gone wrong with this guys arrangement,....

so im hearing quite regularly that its fine to house diamonds together, and i do know of 1 guy who keeps 6 ranging from 2 foot to 7 foot in quite a small outdoor cage,(prob 2ftx3x6(h) he also feeds live, just dumps the rodents in. (ive never seen that part, his sister told me that in disgust when i was checking out his outdoor setup)

is it a fact that it is safe to house diamonds together?
ive always considered it little more than good luck that nothings gone wrong with this guys arrangement,....

Yes its safe. I wouldn't feed them together though, thats asking for trouble. Diamonds are one of the few aussie python species whose males do not fight each other during mating season.

great, thanks Brodak, i kept my cranky female seperate from every1 this year, might let the male in her section next year when theyre closer to the same size. :p

What's with all the cheapskate keepers lately wanting numerous snakes whilst taking shortcuts in such basic things as enclosure requirements?

Aside from the fact that this is a 6 month old thread....

Let em go, I say. If you are a breeder, its great for business ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back