Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What's with all the cheapskate keepers lately wanting numerous snakes whilst taking shortcuts in such basic things as enclosure requirements?

I keep mine in pairs. And I satisfy their enclosure requirements. If you have a full size enclosure for EACH animal you'd wanna have a pretty big house ;)

I've seen at a dodgy reptile park a larger juvie boa constrictor being kept in the same vivarium as a juvie (much smaller) olive python. The owner was quite defensive about that husbandry decision when questioned about it, but I would put my money on the boa being a source of stress for the little olive.

Aside from the fact that this is a 6 month old thread....

Lol Okay shellfisch, whats with all the cheapskates recycling 6 month old threads?

I keep mine in pairs. And I satisfy their enclosure requirements. If you have a full size enclosure for EACH animal you'd wanna have a pretty big house ;)

I would say if you can't provide one full size enclosure per python you are not satisfying their enclosure requirements. And if you don't have the space don't have a big collection of snakes, afterall it isn't an absolute neccesity to have a pair of each species if you aren't intending to breed them.

What's with all the cheapskate keepers lately wanting numerous snakes whilst taking shortcuts in such basic things as enclosure requirements?

if thats referring to me, all my snakes have very generous indoor enclosures to themselves, except 1 pair of females that lives together and have done so since hatching.

but aviary space is limited to 3 x 2 square metre sections atm, 5 by the time i get the next aviary before next summer.
they prefer being outside and i like to oblige.

I would say if you can't provide one full size enclosure per python you are not satisfying their enclosure requirements. And if you don't have the space don't have a big collection of snakes, afterall it isn't an absolute neccesity to have a pair of each species if you aren't intending to breed them.

Agree to disagree on this one mate. Many methods out there. Its working for me as yours works for you. We're both winners ;)

if thats referring to me, all my snakes have very generous indoor enclosures to themselves, except 1 pair of females that lives together and have done so since hatching.

but aviary space is limited to 3 x 2 square metre sections atm, 5 by the time i get the next aviary before next summer.
they prefer being outside and i like to oblige.

No not referring to you chris1, or any other specific individual. I am referring to anybody who doesn't have the space or finance to provide
a full size enclosure for each individual animal yet feels fine about having numerous animals. Occasionally any keeper may have to do things which
aren't quite optimal but when this is ones standard practice it is another matter.
No wonder DECCW is bringing out new legislation on enclosure requirements with this kind of keeper becoming more and more common....

I'm of the firm opinion that's it's a matter of when not if.
I've never heard of two snakes being kept together successfully for their entire lives, evidence shows the worst will happen eventually.
It's like live feeding it might be okay for 1000 feeds but odds are eventually your snake will get mauled.
It's the same amount of risk, and totally out of a keepers control a to when it happens.
If keeping snakes together in the same enclosure is an acceptable risk, why isn't live feeding adult rodents?

No not referring to you chris1, or any other specific individual. I am referring to anybody who doesn't have the space or finance to provide
a full size enclosure for each individual animal yet feels fine about having numerous animals. Occasionally any keeper may have to do things which
aren't quite optimal but when this is ones standard practice it is another matter.
No wonder DECCW is bringing out new legislation on enclosure requirements with this kind of keeper becoming more and more common....

I can definitely see where you are coming from. I've seen vivs smaller than what should be used for a single snake being used for multiple. I agree that this is wrong. But a 1.5 x1.2 x0.6 enclosure is not too small for two snakes.

If keeping snakes together in the same enclosure is an acceptable risk, why isn't live feeding adult rodents?

Because that is a much higher risk of injury than housing two snakes together.

Brodak, it is not only a matter of the enclosure being too small, there are tonnes of examples of Pythons killing their enclosure mate, despite being fed seperately.

As Hooglabah said, ''it's a matter of when, not if''.

Brodak, it is not only a matter of the enclosure being too small, there are tonnes of examples of Pythons killing their enclosure mate, despite being fed seperately.

Got a link? I'll have a read and maybe reconsider. But in my experience and reading, done right, shouldn't be a problem.

There is evidence proveing my point on this very thread , and we all know live feeding is risky even though snakes have evolved to kill their prey.
If you can prove to me that keeping two snakes in the same enclosure is any more of an acceptable risk than live feeding I'll get your name tattooed on my face!
Why is It okay to practice one risky behavior and not the other?
The only two reasons to keep snakes together long term is because you have the money or space for two enclosures, neither of which is an acceptable reason to risk your animals life.
You cannot in anyway justify the practice, it's lazy, irresponsible and IMO shows a profound lack of care for your animal.
People who do it disgust me.

Haven't**

There is evidence proveing my point on this very thread

Where? One picture? Single instance. So far thats enough proof that its happened once out of the thousands of reptiles in captivity. What were the circumstances surrounding that event? Do each species behave in the same way?

You cannot in anyway justify the practice, it's lazy, irresponsible and IMO shows a profound lack of care for your animal.
People who do it disgust me.

LOL, want a step ladder to help you off your high horse?

Why is It okay to practice one risky behavior and not the other?

Its like comparing speeding to drink driving. Both are risks. Just one is a larger one than the other.

So far so good shellfisch :D.

And really, thats about as sure as anyone can be isn't it?

People (some who have owned herps for 10 minutes) want to be re-assured that it is safe.
The truth is no one can tell them that it is.

Just that, SO FAR....they haven't had a problem.

I prefer not to take the chance. All of ours are housed separately and that will never change.

And really, thats about as sure as anyone can be isn't it?

People (some who have owned herps for 10 minutes) want to be re-assured that it is safe.
The truth is no one can tell them that it is.

Just that, SO FAR....they haven't had a problem.

I prefer not to take the chance. All of ours are housed separately and that will never change.

I can appreciate that. And I respect your decision. Nobody can deny that it eliminates the risk of cannibalism. I am just adding to the thread that the rate of cannibalism is quite low, with many keepers housing snakes of same species and size together without incident.

http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/general-discussion-42/housing-snakes-together-132899/page/2

I was reading that before and there seemed to be a majority of keepers were housing together.

Show me one example, proven not hear say, of two or more snakes being kept together or 15 years + and maybe I'll consider it can be done.

Snakes are not social animals they do occur in pairs or trios or in any number greater than one in the wild outside of breeding season.

If you want evidence google snake eats snake.
Add pet as a prefix and you we get even more examples it happens more often than not.

I mean seriously don't to think that if It could be done safely the bloke who founded this hobby would still be doing it?
Or it would be written in some literature the it was safe?
It's not in any of the books I've seen/own, it strongly advised against even vilified in some but never have I seen it condoned.

This is a new trend started by cheapskates or out of sheer laziness.

Okay Brodak, you go ahead with what you think is best.I've seen one bredli turn on another after feeding time with my own eyes which was
enough evidence for me. And seen plenty of posts on this forum of this happening, and photos. I can't be bothered dragging up evidence of
what is common knowledge for you, you can look up old threads yourself if you are interested in improving your husbandry.

Damn right I'm on a high horse I'm not the person risking an animals life for no good reason, doing the RIGHT thing gives me the right to be on a high horse.

I bet you cannot give genome good reason why it's okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back