Which Car...?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which Car?

• The Mitsubishi Challenger 4WD

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • The BMW 318i Sports Coupe

Votes: 20 29.4%
  • The Volvo S60 Family Sedan

Votes: 7 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

slim6y

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I don't usually do this... But I am on opposite ends of the spectrum for this one and my GF and I can't decide.

She said... "You're the car person - you choose..."

But that often means, what I choose could be wrong and I get blamed for it.

So if you had the choice... What would you choose from these three (they're in $NZ because I'm moving back to NZ - there maybe some room for movement in prices on all three).

The story:

We do have three kids - but they're all under 11 and girls...

We do go camping from time to time, but we're moving over with no camping equipment and it's probably too cold to go camping anyway.

I do like the practical side of the 4WD, but I love the sportiness if the 318i.

I like the family sedan of the S60 - and my GF is Swedish...

OMG - What do I choose????

Please help :)

Car 1:
The Mitsubishi Challenger:
Mitsubishi challenger 2005 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Car 2:
The BMW 318i:
BMW 318i E46 318 COUPE FACELIFT MODEL!! 2005 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Car 3:
The Volvo S60:
Volvo S60 2004 for sale - TradeMe.co.nz - New Zealand

Vote or leave a post below with your preference and why - we'll see if this solves our dilemma.

Finally, it should be noted in NZ - diesel is cheaper, but you pay road user taxes - which means you pay for how many km you do per year.

If all goes well, I could be driving up to 2 hours per day... But for the most part of this year, the car will lay idle except for long South Island road trips.

I don't have plans for going off road, but it is a nice option. However I tend to take all my cars no matter where I want to go.

I love safety and luxury - I just do ok!!!

I went the Challenger because it seems like it meets your family needs and if you find some nice 4wd tracks you'll be kicking yourself that you don't have one. I like going 4wding though so I'm a little partial :p

Definitely the BMW...Not just because i have one and im addicted to them, But they are the best!! Just keep in my mind that they are a pricey car to maintain( that is their biggest downfall).

I went the Challenger because it seems like it meets your family needs and if you find some nice 4wd tracks you'll be kicking yourself that you don't have one. I like going 4wding though so I'm a little partial :p

I do agree with you - you're so right - and I guess if you came over to NZ and wanted to find some Tuatara - you're not doing that in a BMW then are you....?

Definitely the BMW...Not just because i have one and im addicted to them, But they are the best!! Just keep in my mind that they are a pricey car to maintain( that is their biggest downfall).

Ahhhhh... I have always owned luxury cars when I could - and the relaxing drive just is so rewarding. Costs in NZ aren't comparable to here - it's much cheaper to get a car in NZ and run it than here - except petrol costs. I love the beemer - it was my favourite choice - but I love the 4WD... But I also love luxurious Volvos - and I LOVE Swedes!!!

Volvo purely on the KM it's done.
They've also improved over the years..still quite a sporty car but the room you need for your family.

Volvo purely on the KM it's done.
They've also improved over the years..still quite a sporty car but the room you need for your family.

Yep - mate you've got a great point there! Even when they're imported, they're still made in Sweden (or Belgium) there's no difference between Japan, Singapore, Australia or NZ... Imports are what keep the costs down in NZ!!!

Will pictures help?

161912861.jpg

158735405.jpg

149378077.jpg

Last edited:
The BMW would be more fun but the Mitsubishi Challenger would be much more practical.

Haha so that's a different argument for each car, all of which you agree with. I don't envy you in this decision

mitsubishi all the way mate.
Practical, cheaper to insure, you can take it anywhere, you can leave it in the street and no 1 will mess with it, cheaper to service and buy parts and very very reliable.

Slim - We just got a Mitsubishi Pajero after having a Challenger for 11 years. The only issue we had with it was it started to chew through the fuel in the end. She ran great other than that, and they're great off the beach :)

Hope you get what you're looking for :)

Like i said, loveeee the bmws. But i have to agree for the family, the 4wd is probably better....especially with kids

The mrs' is heading for her home country advantage and has voted Volvo...

And I've owned an S70 before - with the same engine... very zippy - used to flat out beat SV6's no worries at all - and they're just a 2.0L Turbo (5 cylinder).

Not to expensive to run... And maintain as well...

If I did get the Volvo I also get the added advantage of driving from Auckland to South Otago (across the ferry) to take it home...

However, this is where the decision goes pear shaped...

I love the Challenger, and I've driven Pajero before as well... I love the family car idea (and did you notice it had a safety barrier so the kids can't annoy us as much hehe). I love to go off road, and the Catlins Coast is so close to my home...

south-pacific-coast_1743.jpg

That picture screams Challenger all the way...

But for the family and cost to run, the Volvo is better... And so much more style and comfort - plus incomparable safety standards!!!

But the BMW is so much fun, the kids will fit in there, they're only small (girls)...

Well, my decision is still so tough!!!

But, it looks like we're leaning towards the S60 (Volvo)... However... I can still be swayed into either of the three cars...

I think the people have spoken. Challenger it is! The girls are only small now, but soon enough they'll be hitting their teens. This means that family holidays will require LOTS of bags. Trust me. Teenage girls DO NOT pack lightly. With the 4WD you have the space for it - even roof racks and you can leave a trailor behind. Then you also have your boy toy in your own time when you're not carting around the ladies. :)

I own a Mitsubishi Pajero 96. Great car for families, camping, 4WD, they're very spacious and comfortable to drive, best of all they're great cars
Mitsubishi all the way.

I think the people have spoken. Challenger it is! The girls are only small now, but soon enough they'll be hitting their teens. This means that family holidays will require LOTS of bags. Trust me. Teenage girls DO NOT pack lightly. With the 4WD you have the space for it - even roof racks and you can leave a trailor behind. Then you also have your boy toy in your own time when you're not carting around the ladies. :)

The people have 12 days to speak (that's the time we need to put a bid in for the Volvo if we're going to).

Aussies though - in general, are far more 4WD orientated... Yet, at least 64.3% of all 4WDs I've seen have seen less of the off road than my current VY Acclaim!!! In fact I have taken the Acclaim in some places you guys didn't even know they had places....

Plus, I took the VY on a 10,650km trip over Christmas (Cairns to Port Albert and return). And I took a Pajero on a small trip - packed to the hilt with no trailer... I tell you, the Acclaim was far more comfortable on and off road!!! But the Pajero got us through some pretty hairy situations... But NZ doesn't have those hairy cyclonic situations... In fact, if you choose to go off road it's usually graded gravel! There are of course some places you'd never take the Volvo or BMW... But then... The comfort of luxury, vs the versatility of 4WD... I'm really struggling still... And there is 12 days to choose what you'd choose....

I'm still leaning into Volvo purely on KM's and that they are still a zippy car with the room you need....yet the 4x4 will give you the option of getting off the beaten track.

Spose at the end of the day, it just depends on how much off road stuff you want to do.

Land crusier 1989-1995 hilux sr5 1995-1999
Only cars I will own maybe some of the newer ones maybe.
The only real problem I have with them is the fuel consumption.
It massive in my 95 sr5, being dual fuel helps but to get it really good I need to convert the Toyota 2.4 lt engine to a gmc vn v6 3.8 lt.
The 2.4 is just very underpowered and has to work hard to pull my car, where as the v6 is about the right power to wieght and uses alot less fuel.
But the coversion will cost about 7k so I has to wait:(

thought this was a reptile forum not slims new car forum

Did someone get out of the forum bed on the wrong side this morning... Or are we a little troll under the bridge my new car will travel over... :)

I merely used the said reptile forum's CHAT page to ask for people's FREE opinion :)

That said, the people's opinion is 4WD clearly (so far)... Will be interesting to see what the next few days holds... I may have found a 4 door Beemer for similar price :)

None of those are red slim lol

HAHAHA!!!

I'm trying to work out if my Missus is going to be doing some waxing on and waxing off in her bikini... If so - I get the Volvo because she wants it - then tell her she's looking after it :)

Do black cars fade quicker because they're absorbing all wavelengths and reflecting none?

* * * E D I T * * *

I just got this email from a car sales yard (funny enough) wanting my business - can someone please quantify whether or not what this sales person is saying is true or at the least plausible:

Copy and paste from email:
"Currently smaller engined vehivles are selling very quickly, and anything with a bigger engine is like a lead balloon. Most of what we are currently stocking is cars that are fuel efficient. With petrol prices expected to reach $2.50 per litre here, anything with a 6 or 8 cylinder engine, or 3000cc and above is very hard to sell.

The Challenger your looking at is a big car for the family, but not economical, and they are based on the original Challenger chassis of 1995, so an old model. They are not so popular as they are an old model now, and very expensive to run. Resale would be terrible.

My suggestion would be to consider a smaller engined alternative. Half the running costs, and good resale."

Thanks reptile forum car enthusiasts :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back