Dangers of second-hand enclosures?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse_H

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm a newbie, currently researching prior to the purchase of my first python. After some months of research, I have decided on acquiring an Uluru Woma from SXR. Now I have the breed of snake and where to buy, I am left with the enclosure issue. I want one with a stand and I'm struggling to find something new under $600 (inc. stand). Of course there are many great second hand options, but I am concerned, what i the risk of disease/parasites etc when purchasing a second hand tank? If I'm looking at investing in a $1000+ herp I don't want to leave any margin for error.

What are your thoughts? Is there much gamble in going second hand or should I bite the bullet and buy new?

Thanks for you advice!

- Jess

where do u live......
if u go into a petbarn they can order u in these really nice 3x1x2(lwh) full glass enclosures. with wooden stand and stuff. with a hood to put lights and shelf below.
probs around $350. only downside is that it lacks in ventilation!
otherwise ur best bet is to use a click clack until its big enough to go into something bigger or until youve found something u like.
i just got my woma over the weekend who was in shed at the time and i got to see her shed, which was so cool.
goodluck

where do u live......
if u go into a petbarn they can order u in these really nice 3x1x2(lwh) full glass enclosures. with wooden stand and stuff. with a hood to put lights and shelf below.
probs around $350. only downside is that it lacks in ventilation!
otherwise ur best bet is to use a click clack until its big enough to go into something bigger or until youve found something u like.
i just got my woma over the weekend who was in shed at the time and i got to see her shed, which was so cool.
goodluck

Which petbarn!!? I work there and ive never seen these for $350..more like $500 +

In 6 years I've never seen a shed start to finish:(.
You lucky duck:).

Secondhand will be fine, just bear in mind that you dont want to scimp on your enclosure when you are housing an expensive animal in there

Second hand would be fine. Just disinfect it properly

No, its more like second hand is probably fine but there is a risk of disease. Since we don't know much about OPMV etc it is quite possible that disinfecting will not clear a contaminated enclosure. That's why many people who have a nasty disease outbreak burn or destroy their enclosures rather than run the risk of passing the infection on to new in inhabitants.

which petbarn do u work out? (exotic doc)
if uve even been to tthe lawrence st store and seen the hermit crab enclosure, thats the one im talking bout.

Yeah I think I've seen them at my one (McGraths Hill). You can get timber ones that are more than twice that size for the same price though.
Thanks for clearing that up Tsubakai. I hadn't heard that about OPMV before

haha thats my store mate. Thanks for that ill make sure to double check that for you guys but the last time i chekced it was not for $350
maxPOWERS lol are you someone from the store? LOL this is going to be funny... OMG DONT TELL ME ITS YOU HUGO LOOOOL

anywayz that one is around 350. we sold it to this lady setting up a turtle tank.
it would be good for snakes, but needs more ventilation.

nahhh im on sunday.

Oh alrit sweet as, ye it does need ventilation. Our reptile tanks have been selling heaps, and like we said before i just dont understand why they are keeping most of that cool reptile stuff out of the store( at least larger heat mats as a minimum) Alii is really keen on the idea, andrew isnt lol

yeah i know.
you gotta have a look through that pile
alot of itis useless ayy.
are you still getting beardies?

I know i seen some of the things, we can do so much better. Ye the beardies are still coming, just going to get that enclosure done first its still in the works. Btw did you get the stuff for your Bredlii from work? Highly doubt i will. Heaps better stuff out there, and cheaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back