Scale Rot Carpet Python

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rekkie13

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a 5 year old carpet python, he shed today but it appears as though he has scale rot, he looks fine except for the marks on top of his back, any thoughts?
DSC04499.jpgDSC04494.jpgDSC04498.jpg

Bump the heat up a degree or two, put in a MUCH smaller water bowl and keep it down the cool end.

Also, a fresh clean each day of the entire enclosure will help.

When I had this issue I applied simple antiseptic creams (Savlon is my preference) as well as adopting the above measures with immediate results.

I've had this a couple of times when the snake has injured itself somehow, and particularly just before a shed. I assume they scrape against something or damage the soft, fresh skin underneath the old one in a similar way, and when they shed the damaged skin is shown. When I had this, I observed it for a bit and when it didn't change at all, I left it as is. Cleared up the next shed.

I only suggest it because I understood scale rot to usually appear on the belly scales (not on the back) due to sitting in damp conditions. I would say this isn't because it isn't red or inflamed, and just appears to be some damaged scales.

I've had this a couple of times when the snake has injured itself somehow, and particularly just before a shed. I assume they scrape against something or damage the soft, fresh skin underneath the old one in a similar way, and when they shed the damaged skin is shown. When I had this, I observed it for a bit and when it didn't change at all, I left it as is. Cleared up the next shed.

I only suggest it because I understood scale rot to usually appear on the belly scales (not on the back) due to sitting in damp conditions. I would say this isn't because it isn't red or inflamed, and just appears to be some damaged scales.

I agree, it looks more like it has damaged itself, possibly a brushed past a hot globe or light cage maybe....

It doesn't really look like a burn though. More like the skin there was scratched or dried onto the new skin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back