is it ok to feed small mice to larger snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane2009

Not so new Member
Reaction score
i have like 40 pinkies in the freezer and dont want them to go to waste, is it ok to feed a few of them to my 15month coastal instead of his usual meal? just until theyre all used up

its not going to do much for a 15 month old coastal, maybe give it the runs at best......

you will often find also that once a snake starts feeding on rodents with hair they will not go back to a pink mouse/rat.

why not sell them and buy some rats instead. plenty of people with small snakes this time of year after pinkies

It really depends on if the 15month old will actually get a decent meal out of it, a 15mth coastal probably wouldnt in my opinion, and you may find it wont take them that size anyway.... if it does then if its only to get rid of the excess you have it could work in your favour, the only reason its good to increase a pythons food items as it grows it to make sure its jaws get good exercise but if its only for a few feeds then i think you should be ok...

That said you may want to see if you can take the 40 you have and swap them for a bigger food item at the local pet store, but be prepared for them to say no as they dont know how they have been kept of if been exposed to any germs in your possesion (probably not but they have to cover there backs ya know)

hope that helps mate

advertise the pinkies on this site and then go buy the right size feed for your coastal

the only reason its good to increase a pythons food items as it grows it to make sure its jaws get good exercise but if its only for a few feeds then i think you should be ok...

larger rodents (larger than pinkies) are a much better feed over a pinkie. it is their gut content, fur, bones etc that provide the snake with vitamins, calcium etc.

pinkies are just a liquid sack and not exactly a whole meal for a 15 month old carpet, at that age it would be on hopper rats, adult mice.

Ive occasionally thrown pinky rats to my large snakes when i needed to use them up.
They ate them one at a time like pop corn and then id give them there usual rat.

Yeah I was gonna say maybe chuck him a couple with his normal meal. Then you don't get the runny craps that come from the little bags of milk that are pinkies

If they were adult mice you may be able to get away with feeding 4 or so, but you would have to feed it like a dozen pinkies for it to be a proper meal, Im not sure that would be the easiest task lol

Maybe its just my snakes but at that age shouldnt they be on medium rats?

I feed pinkies to my beardies every once in a while. Gives them a nice variety in their diet and they love it.

My Bredli is 15 months and he's only on fuzzy rats. You must have fed yours up hard
Once every 7 days until 10 months old, then have slowed down a bit since, about every 10-12 days now.
I bought another male from a breeder that was the same age as mine exact same size, maybe even a bit bigger

Hmmm yeah apologies I just saw another post where someone has a 15 month old on adults. Fuzzies are still the appropriate size for him so I guess I've just fed him too slow. He went off his food for a couple of months last year too. I wonder if that would have contributed

That ok, I also have another 15 month old thats a fussy feeder, I wouldn't give her anything bigger than weaner rats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back