is breeding your own rats really worth it?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dale no, no need usually and if u do they get ice burn in the bags.

hibern8 which hardware store ??

ok sweet im gonna go soda stream method anyway probably going to work out cheaper got a great price on wood shavings today thats been dust vented and filtered 3 times to remove dusts and other nasty stuff 14$ for a big compressed 66 litre cube

Saximus llandilo pet produce do shavings for $11 a bale - best price around and even closer too u.how much and what kg's are gordons cubes ??

Dale i feed mine 2 bags of YS rat cubes, two big scoops of biomare and two big scoops of the cheapest dry dogfood around mixed all up in a $2 shop storage container. dry dogfood is to minimise the rats eating their young (i.e. extra protien from dogfood).

Cheers

Thanks for that Congo I'll check them out. Apparently there is a place at Schofields (Sultanas Discount Pet Foods) that does them for $30-$35 for 15 kilos but I haven't asked them myself yet

Ah so that's where you go too? I only mentioned Gordon's because I heard they were the best but maybe I'll talk the guy there next time and see what he recommends.

the guy at llandilo does really know much about rats but been using these cubes for about 10 yrs with my mix and alls good.

but i love the conveniance of rocking up to my supplier.QUOTE]
If its not to much to ask, could you call them a dealer? You'll sound badass ;)

TBH, I would find someone in your area that breeds and buy from them, thats what I shall be doing when my snake can take medium rats.

Will

sorry wiz-fiz but we dont condone drugs on here

saximus go the YS cubes/biomare/dry dogfood mix and you wont go back.

There has also been studies to which...if you suppliment rats feed with extras now and then like - sunflower seeds,fresh brocolli/veges,peanuts in the shell i.e. something different their productivity goes up 30%

Last edited:
Alright cheers Congo I'll give it a go. They definitely get enough variety in their diet now too though. Mum always gives them leftovers from dinner or from stuff in the cupboard that is out of date and they smash it

you buy bales of dust removed woodshavings for $16
yeah i use the same as substrate , and shredded paper as nesting material. i pay $13 a bale of wood shavings from petstock , or $12 a bale from somverville [ when they have it]

I only have 2 pythons but i like to know where my food is coming from. some of these pythons can run into the thousands and i wont want to risk them on bad food that has been transported up and down the east coast who knows if they have been keep frozen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back