Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DEC

Not so new Member
Reaction score
The Department of Environment, Climate Change and Water (DECCW) is offering a number of reptiles for disposal through a ballot. The following species have been identified for the Department and are advertised as:

1x Ocellate Ridge-Tailed Monitor (Varanus Acanthurus) – collection from Hurstville

2x hatchling Water Pythons (Liasis Fuscus) – collection from Hurstville

1x adult Diamond Python (Morelia Spilota Spilota) – collection from Hurstville

2x adult Common Bluetongue (Tiliqua Scincoides) – collection from Hurstville

1x Pink-Tongued Skink (Cyclodomorphus Gerrardii) – collection from Botany Bay area

1x juvenile Diamond Python (Morelia Spilota Spilota) – collection from Botany Bay area

2x Murray Short-Necked Turtle (Emydura Macquarii) – collection from Lane Cove area

1x adult Carpet Python Sub Species Unknown (Morelia Spilota) – collection from Lane Cove area

Every effort has been made to correctly identify these animals. The Department cannot guarantee the identification of an animal offered though the ballot system.

These animals have been seized during recent law enforcement investigations. Some of these animals may have been caught in the wild and their original capture locations are unknown. The return of these animals to the wild is not a responsible conservation option.

The Department recommends that a veterinarian checks all animals received through the ballot system and a reptile hygiene protocol be followed.

If you wish to be included in the ballot you must register your interest by 8.00 AM Thursday 24th March 2011. Registrations received after this time will not be accepted. You can register your interest by either a faxed message to 02 9585 6401 or an emailed message to [email protected]

Phone inquiries will not be accepted.

Your registration must include the following:

1. the words DECCW BALLOT in the title of your fax or email
2. your full name
3. your address
4. a prioritised list of the animals you would like to register for
5. your current NSW Animal Keepers’ Licence number authorising the possession of the animals you have registered for
6. your contact number between 9.00am and 9:30am on Thursday 24th March 2011
7. NOTE: only one individual animal per licensee can be provided

Any registrations that do not include all of the above will be excluded from the ballot. Licences will be checked before the ballot. Expired licences or licensees whose fauna record books we have not received for 2010 will also be excluded from the ballot.

NB: If you are successful in the ballot you must be available to collect the animal from a Sydney metropolitan location (suggested locations indicated above) on Friday 25th March 2011. If you intend to have someone collect the animals from our office on your behalf they must have permission from you IN WRITING. Verbal permission will not be accepted.

If you are successful:

1. you will be notified by phone between 9.00am and 9:30am on Thursday 24th March 2011
2. you must collect the animal from a Sydney metropolitan location (suggested locations indicated above) on Friday 25th March 2011. If you are unable to collect your animal during this time it will be forfeited to the next available person; and
3. you must bring a hard-shelled lockable container to transport your animal and a clean pillow case.

how come the adult carpet is an unknown species? thought deccw would have an expert there that could tell which sub species it is

This is a waste of public service funds,the carpets and murray turtle were on the previous exemp list anyway,they were probably better off where they were before they cofiscated them,does stuffall for conservation.

if i get what im after it will be straight to the vet for checks, if it bites me well then ill just bite it back

By the time vet checks etc are done, and export permit is paid for, would probably work out cheaper/ easier to buy locally

Is this only done in NSW? I never see this done for other states but animals are getting seized from collections all the time. What system is used in other states?

Guys, dont forget... We are talking about DECCW here.
lol as much as I dislike the DECCW, how many pictures come up here that get supposed professionals arguing over the ssp. of a carpet they find in the wild.

The main reason none of their experts would definitively identify the carpets is because of all the morphs/hybrids out there
If someone won a snake identified as Palmerston Jungle and it was actually an Atherton Jungle they would probably try to sue the department for false advertising
So a lot safer to just say carpet python and be done with it

For one thing it's a free animal and they put this in every ballot that I've seen: "Every effort has been made to correctly identify these animals. The Department cannot guarantee the identification of an animal offered though the ballot system." So I don't think anyone would be justified in attempting to sue them for incorrect identification.
Also the snake in question here is in doubt as to the sub-species not the locality. I don't think there is even any point in referring to localities in things like Jungles any more. It is likely an intergrade which can't be specifically identified by markings alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back